Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #63 of 2,061
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #64 of 2,061
That's quite a statement! Have you done any modding to your pair? I'd like to hear a pair someday then.

What T50RP mods have you heard?

Only mine which is like Magick Man's, which is basically a BMF mod tuned to his tastes, I read all through the BMF thread as well and this mod follows the general trend but avoids rock wool, fibreglass etc..
I'm not really much of a modder myself but the idea of turning a $100 headphone (T50RP, SHP9500 ) into something special has been irresistible

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #65 of 2,061
Well this most certainly deserves a mention here. Surprising he didn't chime the discussion thread about it! Sounds promising and seems simple enough.

The 2mm felt decreases treble and maybe some mids? The ring creates more room and thus increases the well controlled bass in quantity. Seems like a winner! Sub $100 giant killer huh.. will have to try this soon. Thanks!

And to get that info here:
Okay, I've finished my tinkering, and even though I feel that I could extract more from them in one way or another, other areas start to suffer when I do. So, without more ado, the budget "flagship killer" is...

the Philips SHP9500.

They're that good? Yeah, they're that good. After listening for quite a while trying to figure out what these sound like, I figured it out, they're very similar to the Koss ESP/950s, only they have ~3dB more mid bass. The mids and highs are practically ripped directly from the 950s and are just beautifully smooth and silky without any harshness, and the soundstage, though not the largest I've heard, is substantial and all instruments are well placed. Resolution is fantastic too, THD numbers must be near rock bottom because I detect almost no coloration or grain and what warmth they do give off is natural and unobtrusive. Overall they're really great, and when you factor in their price (~$85US on Amazon) they're miraculous. What makes them so special is their drivers, they actually have 50mm neodymium ring drivers (no joke). I don't know of any other inexpensive full-size cans packing such hardware. (Also the cable is swappable, it's a standard 3.5mm M-M cable, for those who want to use something different from Audioquest or whatever. :rolleyes: )

But, they aren't quite that sonically gifted right out of the box, they need a little work to pull out more of their potential. Without mods they're a little harsh ~6kHz, mids are a bit honky, and bass, though tight, is simply too recessed. Here's where the simple mods come in.

Other downsides?
-the fabric used for the earpads and headband feels a little like burlap, it's not the softest out there
-the plastic is pretty cheap feeling
-the size adjustment mechanism is kind of crappy
-head clamp is very, very light (might be a plus for many), I prefer a little more

What you'll need:

A sheet of 2mm thick craft felt, it's pliable but fairly dense
A sheet of 4mm thickness EPDM butyl, it feels pretty rubbery
Glue stick
Scissors
X-acto knife
Ruler

1. Feel around the inside of the ear pads, underneath them, and you'll notice that the padding is glued down a bit. What you need to do is firmly but gently pull that glue apart. Don't worry, the fabric will hold the pad to the baffle, we just need to get some space underneath the earpad itself.
2. Using the pad itself as a kind of template, you'll want to draw an oval in the craft foam. It'll be 10cm wide by 12cm tall. Then inside that you'll draw another oval that's 6cm wide by 8cm tall. That will give you an oval ring with a 2cm "wall". Now cut out that ring; I used scissors on the outside and an X-acto for the inside, you want to keep it in one piece. It'll look like this:

3. Cut a circle of felt 8cm wide then apply a light layer of glue from the glue stick to one side, then apply that to the exact middle of the ear side of the baffle (apply it to the fabric back there), tucking the edges underneath the earpad. Let the glue dry, takes ~an hour. Here's a pic of the felt in place:

4. After the glue has dried, take your rubber oval that you cut and slowly work it underneath the earpad, it'll act like it wants to bunch a little but just keep working it under the pad until it's completely under the pad. You can see the edge of it barely visible under the pad here:

5. That's it! Seriously. I stripped one set all the way down to the frame and monkeyed with them like crazy (completely ruining the earpads in the process), but this is by far the most balanced mod for these. In this instance, less really is more.

Get them while you can, though, Philips didn't distribute many in the USA and I think they may even be discontinued now. Sad.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #66 of 2,061
Wow.....Seriously, WOW!. Something so simple can make these headphones sound better! I have not used mine ever since I got my K7XX
tongue_smile.gif
but I would use them whenever I really need to be super competitive in gaming (FPS) which they already solidly do great for. I wonder why MLE has not taken this headphone into consideration. I have post it in his thread several time...dont know if he ignores me or does not see my comment lol.

I might have to grab another pair whenever buysonic sells them for 69.99 or on Massdrop as well.

Phillips.....who would have known they would make such great headphones :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #67 of 2,061
  Wow.....Seriously, WOW!. Something so simple can make these headphones sound better! I have not used mine ever since I got my K7XX
tongue_smile.gif
but I would use them whenever I really need to be super competitive in gaming (FPS) which they already solidly do great for. I wonder why MLE has not taken this headphone into consideration. I have post it in his thread several time...dont know if he ignores me or does not see my comment lol.

I might have to grab another pair whenever buysonic sells them for 69.99 or on Massdrop as well.

Phillips.....who would have known they would make such great headphones :)

Appears these are now on Massdrop for $69.99.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #72 of 2,061
There are three weeks since I own these headphones and I must say they are simply amazing! They're so addictive!. I just cant stop listening. The sound is so smooth, so warm, so pleasing, so dynamic in the same time, simply incredible! I'm using them with a Cambridge DacMagic XS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back