Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jun 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,741 of 2,061
Sorry I missed where you said you checked Amazon.

9500 prices have been ridiculous for a while now. They used to cost $30-$50. Now they are near what the X2 cost as you pointed out. I own both, and the X2 is so much better than the 9500.

I would just keep checking the for sale board. You can also create a WTB listing. I got mine on the for sale board for $50 shipped, and it included a brand new pair of angled HM5 pads and an upgraded cable. Plus you know it was treated well because it is from another HeadFier :)
Yeah, I guess I could do that. Although, I'd prefer if I actually had the money from the refund, but whatevs. Sigh... Us Europeans sometimes do get the short stick...

Also, checked the WTS forum and there weren't any active listings that I could see. These headphones don't want me to own them, it seems.

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #1,742 of 2,061
Yeah, I guess I could do that. Although, I'd prefer if I actually had the money from the refund, but whatevs. Sigh... Us Europeans sometimes do get the short stick...

Also, checked the WTS forum and there weren't any active listings that I could see. These headphones don't want me to own them, it seems.

Europeans get better access to a lot of stuff US doesn’t though!

Philips is just a unique situation. They have always had extremely poor distribution outside of the US. So I definitely feel bad for our friends outside of the US who are trying to get access to Philips products :frowning2:

If I ever come across a pair I’ll be sure to let you know.

Jun 29, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,743 of 2,061

Philips is just a unique situation. They have always had extremely poor distribution outside of the US. So I definitely feel bad for our friends outside of the US who are trying to get access to Philips products :frowning2:

If I ever come across a pair I’ll be sure to let you know.
True that. It's a real shame the import taxes have to be so high when one is buying stuff from the other. We'd be much better off with lower taxes on overseas purchases.

You are the man. I'll be keeping an eye out too! Thanks a lot!

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,744 of 2,061
I suppose I already know the answer to this, but here goes. Has anyone bought SHP9500 from AliExpress? I was searching around after receiving a dud and they're out of stock/criminally overpriced everywhere, including ebay and Amazon. So out of curiosity I started searching on AliExpress and sure enough, there's a lot of listings for SHP9500 (original, non S version) that go for about 80$. However, they do seem kind of sketchy, having a "100% original" on the thumbnail and "Noise reduction" in the name... Yeah, not the most confidence inspiring of things.

Thoughts?

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #1,745 of 2,061
I've seen at least one report on reddit where the aliexpress listings are legit. I don't know of any fake SHP9500s so it's probably a safe bet if you are still set on this particular set of cans.

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #1,746 of 2,061
I've seen at least one report on reddit where the aliexpress listings are legit. I don't know of any fake SHP9500s so it's probably a safe bet if you are still set on this particular set of cans.
Sent my crappy pair back for RMA today, so I'm probably wait for the money to get in my account before I decide on anything. I might as well bite the bullet and order one from AliExpress, as prices in the US and especially in the EU have gone to hell. I mean, they're great cans, but for 150€ I can do better. I guess I learned my lesson though. Next time I'm gonna record a video of the unboxing, so if it's fake I'll know and they'll know and that would be about it.

With that said, as much as I'd love to own these little guys, I'm REALLY tempted to hold on to the money and buy either a Hifiman HE-4xx when it drops on Massdrop, or a pair of Fostex T60rp or heck, even maybe a pair of Monoprice M1060. I mean, I know these are on another league altogether, and the Fostex especially would need a better amp, but still... Planar! And wood! I still remember a few years ago, naive little me thinking that PC gaming is an expensive hobby. I was so innocent... :p

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,747 of 2,061
For example?
Same as @tolis626 I was also tempted to buy many things mainly from Massdrop (plus Dayton imm6 mic which I can´t bloody find anywhere!), but when I found out about the import taxes and fees from US, I was sad :frowning2:
Not sure about the rest of EU, but here in CZ, I have trouble buying some things for "normal" price.
I don´t even want to talk about Schiit, cot their stuff costs almost 2x as much!

I was lucky and just bought SHP9500S for $80 from Israel, I hope it will arrive alright.
@Slater could you please help me find the right magnets for SHP? I had SHPs 2 years ago and sold it, I needed something with more isolation, but now I want to try them again, with different pads and possibly some mods, starting with adding the magnets :)

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #1,748 of 2,061
@Slater could you please help me find the right magnets for SHP? I had SHPs 2 years ago and sold it, I needed something with more isolation, but now I want to try them again, with different pads and possibly some mods, starting with adding the magnets :)

Check 1 page back. Everything you need is there.

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #1,749 of 2,061
I wouldnt pay more than $50 for these headphones.

The t50rp is plenty loud out of my iphone 6. Maybe I just listen at lower volumes but I only need about 2/5 of max available.

Sent my crappy pair back for RMA today, so I'm probably wait for the money to get in my account before I decide on anything. I might as well bite the bullet and order one from AliExpress, as prices in the US and especially in the EU have gone to hell. I mean, they're great cans, but for 150€ I can do better. I guess I learned my lesson though. Next time I'm gonna record a video of the unboxing, so if it's fake I'll know and they'll know and that would be about it.

With that said, as much as I'd love to own these little guys, I'm REALLY tempted to hold on to the money and buy either a Hifiman HE-4xx when it drops on Massdrop, or a pair of Fostex T60rp or heck, even maybe a pair of Monoprice M1060. I mean, I know these are on another league altogether, and the Fostex especially would need a better amp, but still... Planar! And wood! I still remember a few years ago, naive little me thinking that PC gaming is an expensive hobby. I was so innocent... :p

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #1,750 of 2,061
I wouldnt pay more than $50 for these headphones.

The t50rp is plenty loud out of my iphone 6. Maybe I just listen at lower volumes but I only need about 2/5 of max available.

Agreed. $50 is what I paid for mine (and that included angled HM5 pads along with the stock pads).

The SHP9500 is good, but not that good. Certainly not some of the ridiculous prices they often sell at.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,751 of 2,061
Agreed. $50 is what I paid for mine (and that included angled HM5 pads along with the stock pads).

The SHP9500 is good, but not that good. Certainly not some of the ridiculous prices they often sell at.
shut up you guys! I'm about to put up for sale in the classifieds a Limited Edition Cruelhands-hp 95XX for only $199. Xnay On the Icepray!

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #1,752 of 2,061
Hey guys I plan to get a pad for my SHP. I would like to keep the signature sound but maybe increase bass a tiny bit (taming the treble a little bit wouldn't hurt as well).

Reading the forum I think the Shure 1840 would suit my needs, do you have another pad suggestion that wouldn't change the signature too much.

I don't want to destroy my original pads so I play to get a 3D printed ring. There are a lot of models to download, can you point out a good adapter?

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,753 of 2,061
Hey guys I plan to get a pad for my SHP. I would like to keep the signature sound but maybe increase bass a tiny bit (taming the treble a little bit wouldn't hurt as well).

Reading the forum I think the Shure 1840 would suit my needs, do you have another pad suggestion that wouldn't change the signature too much.

I don't want to destroy my original pads so I play to get a 3D printed ring. There are a lot of models to download, can you point out a good adapter?

You don't need the 3D ring - it's completely unnecessary. The stock pads pop right off, and nothing gets damaged with the stock pads at all.

The only people that say you need the 3D rings are the folks selling them. Even if you have your own 3D printer they are not needed. In fact, they actually negatively affect the sound IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,754 of 2,061
You don't need the 3D ring - it's completely unnecessary. The stock pads pop right off, and nothing gets damaged with the stock pads at all.

The only people that say you need the 3D rings are the folks selling them. Even if you have your own 3D printer they are not needed. In fact, they actually negatively affect the sound IMO.
Once again, I am here only to second what Slater says...the rings are unnecessary. As far as pads, I am a fan of hybrids on these...the standard size HM5 hybrids work, but I prefer a little bit more the ones that have a fenestrated outer ring as well. (slater can provide links to Aliexpress ones if you want, I can't find where I saved the links at the moment)

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #1,755 of 2,061

Thanks for the input. I don't know. I'm just very hold back I don't like to commit in general and this is worse, if I don't like the new sound with the newer pads I just can't go back to older pads or easily buy replacements, I live in Brazil I'm kinda stuck with these cans I don't know when I will have another chance to get a good headphone.

My university got a 3D printer I can use. I have to think more if I have to tear the original pads

EDIT: Anyway Slater if you can send me links for the pads Cruelhand Luke mentioned I will take a look at them as well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back