Philips SHP895 any good?
Nov 7, 2008 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

noahlapuz

100+ Head-Fier
Any thoughts? I'm about to buy one, but worry about the comfort, SQ and build.
Thanks headfi.

Noah

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Why not audition them and decide for yourself? I've auditioned some philips headphones at SM appliance centers here in the metro, and I wasn't terribly impressed by any of them (I forgot exactly what models I tested, there were three different cans).

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

it seems DT231 will be a much better since the two are in the same price extent

I can get 895's for $30 USD, anyway thanks for the info.

Quote:

Why not audition them and decide for yourself? I've auditioned some philips headphones at SM appliance centers here in the metro, and I wasn't terribly impressed by any of them (I forgot exactly what models I tested, there were three different cans).

the same reason I posted this thread, I don't have the luxury to audition them. I need to do meet ups to be able to listen to them. Considering the hassle, I might as well buy it on the spot. That's why I need an opinion from people who actually own/tried them

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 13
bump

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 13
noone? this is no good.. rubbish!

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 13
I have the 890 (and the 910) which will eventually break just like the Philips always does. From the pictures it looks like the 895 are going to be somewhat better. But I wouldn't bet too much on it. Here, the 895 costs 55 usd so 30 is good indeed. If it has anything in common with the 890 or 910 i'd say go for it for 30 usd. (unless you want to add a 0 and get something that you might (not for sure) like more)

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 13
The 890's were my first "hi-fi" phones upon finding headfi. They sound as good or better than many 100-200 cans. They are also the MOST COMFORTABLE cans I have ever tried on.

But, the plastic pieces connecting the cups to the headband on the 890's break after a year or so of use.

Get them as long as you don't mind treating them as "disposable" or at least using some ugly epoxy to fix them down the road.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 13
The 895 is a fair bit more solid than the 890, and any other philips headphone I've seen so far. The others were so fragile they'd break if you looked at them the wrong way, while my 895 actually survived a couple falls without a dent.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Actually, my 890's were quite solid overall, quite solid.

The pieces that crack are more of a design flaw if anything. Too bad, they are great headphones.

I bought a new set just for display purposes. I get a little Nostalgic and like to have my first "real" set of headphones in my home office.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 13
dvw
Quote:

For $30, it is very good. I have a pair. The shortcoming of Philips phones is the construction quality. I have two broken pairs so far.

aww too bad, my head is small though I hope it can last longer

DefectiveAudioComponent
Quote:

I have the 890 (and the 910) which will eventually break just like the Philips always does. From the pictures it looks like the 895 are going to be somewhat better. But I wouldn't bet too much on it. Here, the 895 costs 55 usd so 30 is good indeed. If it has anything in common with the 890 or 910 i'd say go for it for 30 usd. (unless you want to add a 0 and get something that you might (not for sure) like more)

yes they are quite cheap, ok noted thanks!

will75
Quote:

The 890's were my first "hi-fi" phones upon finding headfi. They sound as good or better than many 100-200 cans. They are also the MOST COMFORTABLE cans I have ever tried on.

But, the plastic pieces connecting the cups to the headband on the 890's break after a year or so of use.

Get them as long as you don't mind treating them as "disposable" or at least using some ugly epoxy to fix them down the road.

sq is good, but is it that heavy? I'd be using it for watching movies and that's around 2-3hours straight

Tachikoma
Quote:

The 895 is a fair bit more solid than the 890, and any other philips headphone I've seen so far. The others were so fragile they'd break if you looked at them the wrong way, while my 895 actually survived a couple falls without a dent.

this is a good news cool, I wish I'll get a unit as good as yours

will75
Quote:

Actually, my 890's were quite solid overall, quite solid.

The pieces that crack are more of a design flaw if anything. Too bad, they are great headphones.

I bought a new set just for display purposes. I get a little Nostalgic and like to have my first "real" set of headphones in my home office.

bad eh? hmm I love how it looks too, especially with the stand lol

everyone
thanks for the inputs! I would definitely want to try these. I will advise you guys once I get my hands on these cheappies! again many thanks!!

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahlapuz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sq is good, but is it that heavy? I'd be using it for watching movies and that's around 2-3hours straight

They are big but not too heavy. A 3 hour listening session would be no problem with these. Just be aware of their massive size!

One more question since these are for movies. Do you care if they are open or do you need closed? With open, the sound will leak out and others in the room or maybe even the next room over will hear some muffled sounds coming from them. Also with open, you will hear noises coming in as well from others around you.

To me, the 890's look WAY better than the other Philips out there, try to find some and let me know if you do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back