PHILIPS SHP 9000 CINEOS plunge
Jul 13, 2008 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Johnnyboy

New Head-Fier
Casually surfing the web and found these monsters. Now I've always had a soft spot for Philips products and the spec when I read them seemed they would be fine for some late-night TV/Blu-ray viewing, but as audiophile 'phones I wonder if they will cut the mustard. Ordered them off eBay from HKG for a reasonable price (way less than $200) so am looking forward to getting them delivered.
Any thoughts on this, specifically was I just taken in by their macho looks/spec and they really sound rubbish or are they otherwise (I did search the forum; some folks really liked them, others not-so-much).

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Jul 18, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 2
Ok - they've now arrived. First quick thoughts then more detail once they're burned in a bit.
Comfort - very; the expandable inner headband really does make them real easy on the old noggin'.
Looks and build - very good. Big and bold in the dark grey theme. The 4m (detachable) cable is braided; a bit too long for my liking, but I'll easily get a shorter made.

Sound quality: right, given I've listened to them for @ 1 hour (with NO burn-in) it is like this - sweet, smooth lovely mid/upper highs with no real sibilance evident. Soundstage is nicely portrayed; more open than I thought it would be given they're of the closed-type. I'm sure it'll open up even more once they have been in use. The bass: just really nice (define "nice" John, people want to know). OK; deep, musical, lovely punch to it, dynamic. Just surprisingly good.
Comparisms with my other similar 'phones has put the cat-amonst-the-pigeons now. I can honestly say they're better than my Grado SR80's (makes them sound harsh); better than my Senn HD435's as well (better bass, more musical). Bloody hell!
Sometimes one can be surprised with perceived 'lesser' products, but in this case Philips really have done well. A real bargain.
I'll post more details as-and-when.

Happy happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back