Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
May 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #856 of 1,072
Maybe I got a defective pair or something but mine don't need EQ at all, and I'm particularly sensitive to harsh trebles and I hate bloated muddy bass. These exhibit none of those things for me. They have great sub-bass but only when the track calla for it, I was listening to some Motown earlier and it was a very balanced natural sound. And everything I read about them makes them sound like they are bass monsters with an out of wack v shape signature. Perhaps the mids are a little recessed but as I listen to these more analytically (something I hadn't really done too much of) I find that their strengths are just so unique in an earphone. I'm getting the 3 more I ordered from amazon tomorrow and will see if maybe it was just product variation or something.

May 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #857 of 1,072
Maybe I got a defective pair or something but mine don't need EQ at all, and I'm particularly sensitive to harsh trebles and I hate bloated muddy bass. These exhibit none of those things for me. They have great sub-bass but only when the track calla for it, I was listening to some Motown earlier and it was a very balanced natural sound. And everything I read about them makes them sound like they are bass monsters with an out of wack v shape signature. Perhaps the mids are a little recessed but as I listen to these more analytically (something I hadn't really done too much of) I find that their strengths are just so unique in an earphone. I'm getting the 3 more I ordered from amazon tomorrow and will see if maybe it was just product variation or something.

if your happy, even better and less work for you! haha i find the mids as stated before the lower mids where male vocals are a bit too laid back for my taste and the lower to mid treble a bit... i don't want to to say strident its not the right word.. or bright either.... overly excitable?

i did eq that down along with the bass a bit, now its more "enjoyable without sacrificing the fun"

i used the accudio app from the app store, the philips she 3580 "reference sound" i find is rubbish, its so lifeless its counteracting the entire frequency curve to be neutral 

May 31, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #858 of 1,072
So I just hung out with a friend of mine who loves his Klipsch s4s. I told him I got a new pair of headphones and I played him my equalized 3590s. I asked him how much he thought they cost and he listened for awhile and said probably around $70. He also said he was thinking they might even sound better than his Klipsch. I blew his mind when I told him they cost $5.50.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #859 of 1,072
I can`t find 3580/3590 in Brazil, just the 3500 and the 3570, are they very different from each other?

They all look almost the same, and 3500 is cheaper than the 3570.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #860 of 1,072
  I can`t find 3580/3590 in Brazil, just the 3500 and the 3570, are they very different from each other?

They all look almost the same, and 3500 is cheaper than the 3570.

3570/80/90 are the same, 3500 aren't.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #861 of 1,072
These are ridiculously good at this price. Can handle every music genre I throw them, same cannot be said i.e. little pricier jvc ha-fx1x. Great, neutral sounding all-arounders. Cord just sucks big time. Prolly plug and cable attach point gives up after time, but this price, that flaw must be overlooked. :)

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #862 of 1,072
I bought these last year, reading all of the good reviews here, and thought I had a can't miss winner.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed after my first few listens. Way too much treble, tinny and generally cheap sounding. I tried burning them in over a few nights, and the sound signature did not change one bit. I stuck them in a drawer and forgot about them.

I recently decided to give these IEM's another chance. I made a couple of quick tweaks to my setup using these and am now very pleased with these inexpensive iem's. :)

Here are the simple changes in my setup since last time:

1. I run these IEM's through a Fiio E5 amp. These iem's are very underpowered and don't sound good at all without an amp.

2. they're still too bright however, despite sounding much better even with an amp. Therefore, I experimented with various EQ settings on my sansa clip. A few clicks in and I quickly realized that the "pop" EQ setting sounds just about spot on. This setting tames the very bright, overemphasized highs quite a bit.

With an amp, and the proper EQ setting, these IEM's are just lovely. They're especially enjoyable paired with older recordings that don't have a lot of treble information already. My boz scaggs and rolling stones tracks sound surprisingly modern now that the philips add just a touch of sparkle and shimmer.

I do think these IEM's could become fatiguing at higher volumes, especially with tracks that have a lot of treble emphasis already.

Overall, for $10 IEM's they are very impressive.

If you've bought these IEM's and aren't happy with them, try pairing them with a quality headphone amp, and EQ them to reduce the treble a bit. I think you'll like the results a lot.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #864 of 1,072
Setting aside the amp, you ever think about putting the rockbox firmware on the sansa clip. You'll end up with a lot more ways to adjust the sound than through the stock firmware and also increase the volume output. I was originally using an ibasso T5 amp with the clip, then when I installed rockbox, I found an amp wasn't really necessary...especially with these philips.

I bought these last year, reading all of the good reviews here, and thought I had a can't miss winner.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed after my first few listens. Way too much treble, tinny and generally cheap sounding. I tried burning them in over a few nights, and the sound signature did not change one bit. I stuck them in a drawer and forgot about them.

I recently decided to give these IEM's another chance. I made a couple of quick tweaks to my setup using these and am now very pleased with these inexpensive iem's. :)

1. I run these IEM's through a Fiio E5 amp. These iem's are very underpowered and don't sound good at all without an amp.

2. they're still too bright however, despite sounding much better even with an amp. Therefore, I experimented with various EQ settings on my sansa clip. A few clicks in and I quickly realized that the "pop" EQ setting sounds just about spot on. This setting tames the very bright, overemphasized highs quite a bit.

With an amp, and the proper EQ setting, these IEM's are just lovely. They're especially enjoyable paired with older recordings that don't have a lot of treble information already. My boz scaggs and rolling stones tracks sound surprisingly modern now that the philips add just a touch of sparkle and shimmer.

I do think these IEM's could become fatiguing at higher volumes, especially with tracks that have a lot of treble emphasis already.

If you've bought these IEM's and aren't happy with them, try pairing them with a quality headphone amp, and EQ them to reduce the treble a bit. I think you'll like the results a lot.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #867 of 1,072

I recently decided to give these IEM's another chance. I made a couple of quick tweaks to my setup using these and am now very pleased with these inexpensive iem's.
smily_headphones1.gif

i can't vouch for the e5, i do however own the e6, and i didn't think they really needed any extra amping to be totally honest. if you like the warmth that the e5/ e6 gave that's a different story. Did you use any of the eq setting on the e5?

even when using the no eq on the e6, it did give a bit more punch (cause most of the emphasis is on the subbass) which is pleasant for a lot of music. and it did tame a bit of the lower treble a bit. i guess this might be what you were talking about. i guess i'm not as sensitive to that area as much as you are.

but i think the e6 might have warmed up the mids a bit more than i like it took away some of that clarity, and the lean-ness of the mids.

its already a pretty full bodied sound. i don't see why you can use an amp to tweak the sound to your liking. but in terms of pure juice. your portable device can deliver more than enough juice

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #868 of 1,072

They're not defective. The sound quality is just bad unamped.

I think the thread has your expectations too high. They are a good "cheap" earphone, but for me they clear step down from my  Sennheiser CX200 or CX475. Which are twice the price, but thats still cheap. They also have a nice flat EQ curve IMO. Someone used to very bassy set up, wouldn't like them at all. I have the SHE3580 left in my desk at work as a back up. Happy enough to listen to them, they are decent for the price. But they would never be my first choice for anything. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #869 of 1,072
Actually, for me, with the comply t-500 tips from my triple-fi's, the bass can be pretty strong and not in an over bloated way like they can be with the sennheiser cx300's. More of a wow, these $10 Philips can handle bass and sub-bass content without even breaking a sweat

Looks like music101 doesn't want to try my suggestion to use rockbox on the clip, but, for me, with the rockbox settings and the comply tips, I think I've managed to get the best out of these Philips and I've found the right balance that works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back