philips HS900. 17.50
Sep 25, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 14
Don't.

Mine broke after 3 weeks of usage and I've heard similar reports from others.
I admit that I stepped on them by accident but the impact was so small (because I did notice something under my feet) that there shouldn't have been a problem. I've done much more malicious things to my other headphones but none of them ever broke.

Well, the HS900 does sound pretty good for the price (I got them for $14 on ebay so 17.50 new is pretty good) and much better than stock earbuds or Koss the Plug or Sony streetstyles or Sony MDR V150/300.
Decent soundstage, ok mids and highs, good comfort, foldable, almost no bass at all, almost no isolation depite the closed design and did I mention that these break really easily?

Thanks for the link but I can't really recommend these headphones since for just a little more you can have the Koss Ksc-35 which is open but the Hs900 ain't givin you isolation anyway.

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
I like the eggo style can. I got some coby ones, and there are some by gemini that i want to hear.

Are the Coby "eggo's" any good?

Sep 25, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 14
No they arnt good, i found them on target.com for $10. and i wanted to use the pads for my sonys but they are a little to small. They are similar construction but they dont sound that good.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Don't.

I admit that I stepped on them by accident but the impact was so small (because I did notice something under my feet) that there shouldn't have been a problem. I've done much more malicious things to my other headphones but none of them ever broke.

Well, the HS900 does sound pretty good for the price (I got them for $14 on ebay so 17.50 new is pretty good) and much better than stock earbuds or Koss the Plug or Sony streetstyles or Sony MDR V150/300.
Decent soundstage, ok mids and highs, good comfort, foldable, almost no bass at all, almost no isolation depite the closed design and did I mention that these break really easily?

Thanks for the link but I can't really recommend these headphones since for just a little more you can have the Koss Ksc-35 which is open but the Hs900 ain't givin you isolation anyway.

No bass? humm, they seem to have good bass IMO.

Where do they break? I think they are really good sounding cans but they look ugly. The white and light blue looks kinda fruity. Head-fi for storm troopers i think some one mentioned.

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Don't.

Mine broke after a few weeks and I never mistreated them. I didn't even take them out of the house. I was actually really into these cans. I found the sound sigature very pleasing and was thinking of trying out the higher end of the Philips line. But it seems that build quality is a problem for Philips all around. Too bad.

Nov 26, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 14
Do you think it would be possible to reinforce the area prone to breakage so it doesn't happen (or at least delayed)?

Can anyone post a close-up of the broken part?

Dec 8, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Do you think it would be possible to reinforce the area prone to breakage so it doesn't happen (or at least delayed)?

Can anyone post a close-up of the broken part?

Yes please, ide like to know where they broke so i can be careful. They seem kinda brittle but they sound great for $20.

Sep 18, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 14
I think these sound pretty good too for ~$20. Highs are a little bit bright and sometimes sibilant too. They're definately bass shy though, and when you try to eq more bass in, they start crackling at higher volumes. They must only be capable of 20-30mw, since i find myself overdriving them quite a bit, especially with my cmoy amp.

They also may sound better with their little ports covered up. I'm still deciding on this.

Nov 24, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 14
aww.. these don't isolate? not at all?

im currently trying to find a cheaper headphone to give my eggo66 some days off. Id prefer some more isolation, im willing to sacrifice some comfort but i dont want leaky headphones... its for library use.

so are these out of the question? if it leaks more sound then its defenitely out of the question... although its cheap enough just buy to try.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back