Philips HP890 vs AKG K401
Jun 3, 2002 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jarthel

500+ Head-Fier
I was hesitant to buy the Philips as the AKG K401 is already a very good headphones.

But as my wife and I are in Brisbane (Australian city), I went to a appliance shop hoping that they have the Philips so I can have a look at it. Fortunately, they still have 1 stock left.

Let me just say that these headphones are huge! I thought the AKG K401 are big but it's look small compare to these. Haven't have much time to test it as I was using a portable CD player and want to compare both on my system that consist of Kevin Gilmore designed amp and a tubed-Cd player. I did keep the HP890 running most of the day on our vacation so as to burn it in.

Let me say my fears came true. The Philips is better that the AKG. Bass is bigger and tighter. AKG has bass but it isn't natural. I put on Metallica's "Justice for all" song and I can hear the bass drums. On the AKG, it sound lacking. I also listened to a classical piece by Beethoven and Vivaldi and the Philips is much better. Soundstage is bigger.

The only problem I get with the Philips is that there's a hum present that's not there using the AKG. I don't know if this is related to the impedance as the Philips has 32ohm impedance compared to 128ohm for the AKG.

Maybe I should compare both more before I can give conclusions. But I love what I'm hearing. And let me also say, both headphones are good but the Philips is better.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also received some tubes for tube-rolling. I'll leave it running overnight and will compare again tomorrow.

Please remember that this comparison was done using my equipment (IC and DIY power cord included).

more report tomorrow when the new tubes are burnt in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jayel

Jun 3, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 11
What source and amp are you using? Out of a poor source and/or without an amp, I might agree that the HP890 sound a bit better. But out of a good source with a good amp, the K 401 are much better, IMO.

Jun 3, 2002 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know where to get them in around Sydney, or metropolitan NSW, Australia??

Jun 3, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 11
I bought mine from retravision. I have heard that myer, Harvey Norman and Retravision carry them. The question is if there's still stock.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jayel

ps. why don't you give a call to Philips Australia?

Jun 3, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
What source and amp are you using? Out of a poor source and/or without an amp, I might agree that the HP890 sound a bit better. But out of a good source with a good amp, the K 401 are much better, IMO.

*scratches head*

Perhaps only someone who else that has achieved "guru" status can fully understand your particular brand of logic Mac.

wink.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Buddha
Perhaps only someone who else that has achieved "guru" status can fully understand your particular brand of logic Mac.

confused.gif

What I was saying was that to my ears the K 401 are better headphones than the HP890. However, the K 401 are much harder to drive than the 890; therefore, if you don't have an amp that can power the K 401, then the 890 will probably sound better, because they're easier to drive. In addition, since the 890 are very forgiving headphones, they can smooth over the faults in a poor source better than the AKG.

Jun 4, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
In addition, since the 890 are very forgiving headphones, they can smooth over the faults in a poor source better than the AKG.

I do of course understand the impedance/amplification issue to which you make reference. What perplexed me was the "poor source" bit.

My experience is quite the opposite, and indeed I have in the past described the 890's as most unforgiving . This opinion has not changed after many months and hundreds of listening hours.

I have in fact decided to sell my 890's and will be relying on my "uncontroversial" Koss 35s to tide me over till my next purchase.

Any potential Aussie buyers are welcome to PM me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back