Philips HP-890 vs. Sennheiser HD-555. What should I buy?
May 21, 2005 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

GraDy

Head-Fier
I've been lurking these forums for a while now, and I've come to the conclusion that Senn HD-555 would fit my needs well. Today I wen't to the local "mall" to see what headphones they had in stock. Unfortuneatley it was mostly cheap Sonys or Philips, but at least I got to try the HP 890's. I listened to "A little less conversation" and some awful techno-music with lots of chipmunk-voices.
My impressions were good, I they sounded good to me, good bass and a wide soundstage. But then, I havent got much to compare them to. The HD-555's are about 50% more expensive than the 890's. Do you think that the difference in price is justified? I'll mostly listen to Metal/Rock from my computer or CD-player.
Comfortability and sound quality are top priorities.
I desire a clear sound with good base, but not too much of it.

May 21, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 22
I don't know about sound, but I do know that the HD555's are ways above the HP890's in terms of build quality. User comments on several other forums make me believe that about 70% of the 890s break after less than a year, but I have no experience with them myself.

May 21, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 22
Rodent: Yes, I've heard that too. If I'm gonna have to buy a new pair in 1 years time they won't be so cheap.

sgrossklass: You're probably right. I did a quick search and most of the comments seemed to be positive. Well, I guess i just read the "wrong" threads...
It seems that the Senn's are a much better buy, so I'll probably place an order on them.
Thanks for your help.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 22
just FYI
HP890 gain A LOT from burn-in and i am pretty happy with their sound ... they have GREAT bass and are very comfortable for me
however, i don't have any other Hi-Fi headphones to compare it to...

my recommendation: go with Sennheiser HD580 and be happy
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 22
i cant say regarding HP890 vs HD555, but i can say if you compare HP890 vs HD580, running from Creative Crapdigy, or crappy notebook headphone out, no amp involved, i'd pick the HP890 over the HD580, cause there's no real significant difference--i can't seem to be able to say that one is better than the other, cept i find the HP890 more comfortable.

May 22, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
I don't think HP890s are regarded to be in the same league as HD555s here.

Oh, don't let yourself be fooled by the low price, sonically it's actually a very good deal for the price. It's a very clear and well extended sounding headphone with good imaging, nice bass et cetera - just the treble can get a tad shrill with some recordings. For myself, I think I'd even prefer it to the HD 595, if there wasn't a fit issue (headband mechanism was too weak on the test sample I got a few years ago...). Thus I'd certainly claim it to be in the same league - it just isn't easily available in the US and thus it's somewhat underrepresented on Head-Fi... Build quality really is an issue on quite a few Philips models, though - somehow they always seem to integrate one or another squeaky bit on their recent models (e.g. HP1000, HP400/430, HP830...) - I guess they should really think about changing their stiff and frail plastic to some more flexible and tough sort...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Did you ever receive my answer to your email, btw?

May 22, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
For myself, I think I'd even prefer it to the HD 595, if there wasn't a fit issue (headband mechanism was too weak on the test sample I got a few years ago...). Thus I'd certainly claim it to be in the same league

lini, it's a 'no wonder' that you prefer it to the sennheisers.
wink.gif

Please see here for some useful information on the HP890 compared to some senheisers etc.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 22
Andrea: What exactly do you refer to?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 22, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 22
Only to having hardly ever seen you preferring anything from Sennheiser to anything else.
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

May 22, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 22
lini: Thanks for the info, but I think I'll stick to the HD-555's, even if they don't sound much better, it seems that they'll hold up much better.
Andrea: Thanks for the link.

May 22, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 22
I haven't heard the 555. But I've had a pair of 890 for a few years now. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones because mine are holding up fine. Granted, I haven't used them much in the past few months. I use them mostly now for poorly recorded live music (they are fairly tolorant of less than perfect recording, and have great soundstage) and I let my kids use them on their computers.
You might want to read my comparison of hp890 and hd650
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=890+650
This was a few months ago, but, still seems valid. Like I said, I haven't heard the 555, but still consider the 890 a great value for the money, and I've had no durability issues at all.

May 22, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Only to having hardly ever seen you preferring anything from Sennheiser to anything else.
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm - yup, I guess that's true in some way. Maybe I've just bought too many really lousy Sennheisers already... The HD 580 seems to be a solid performer with good performance for the price, though - I just haven't bought one so far. I've also liked my good old HD 420, and the PX100 is quite good for portable applications... The HD 595 is also not a bad headphone - it just seemed rather overprized initially.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 23, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 22
So if there is very little to no difference between burned-in HP890 and HD580, is there more between HP890 and DT880 ?
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back