Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 12, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #676 of 1,964
I wish the reviewer would have said more about the treble region of the X3's. I owned a pair of X2HR's and loved their PRaT and how good they sounded and would have happily lived with them as my daily drivers, but there was too much energy in the treble region so I got rid of them. I think it would have been helpful if the reviewer had gone into detail about the differences (or lack thereof) in treble between the X2's and the X3's.
Well, I am pretty treble sensitive. I don't find the X3s to be sibilant or overly bright in the treble region. I find them to be smoother than my Denon D5000s, B&O BeoPlay H6s and AKG K550MKIIs.
Hope that will give you some perspective.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #677 of 1,964
Well, I am pretty treble sensitive. I don't find the X3s to be sibilant or overly bright in the treble region. I find them to be smoother than my Denon D5000s, B&O BeoPlay H6s and AKG K550MKIIs.
Any chance for a comparison of the X3 and AQ Nighthawks ?

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #678 of 1,964
Any chance for a comparison of the X3 and AQ Nighthawks ?
Yes, I will make a comparison. I will include the NightOwls and maybe A900Xs as well.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #680 of 1,964
Thank ya. 👍

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #681 of 1,964
Thank ya. 👍
I did a comparison again between the HD650s and X3s, just to confirm I'm not full of s**t and the treble is eerily similar, just like everything else.
If I could make a clear distinction than I would describe the X3s as the consumer grade/tuned HD650s. I know many people use the HD650s as their main pair just for enjoying music, but in its base it of course still is a pair of studio headphones. Their timbre may be gentle and natural, but their resolution is pretty revealing of flaws in recordings, it doesn't necessarily pretify things. The X3s are even more forgiving. Mids are a bit recessed and everything is presented in a wider, more laid-back soundstage, with more air and depth. I would even call it more speaker-like.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #682 of 1,964
9600 and X3 - Sounds like Phillips listened to their consumers. Using the same drivers, they just made some slight tweaks to the tuning to accommodate. Makes business sense, but probably a no go for me, especially if the mids are recessed.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #683 of 1,964
I did a comparison again between the HD650s and X3s, just to confirm I'm not full of s**t and the treble is eerily similar, just like everything else.
If I could make a clear distinction than I would describe the X3s as the consumer grade/tuned HD650s. I know many people use the HD650s as their main pair just for enjoying music, but in its base it of course still is a pair of studio headphones. Their timbre may be gentle and natural, but their resolution is pretty revealing of flaws in recordings, it doesn't necessarily pretify things. The X3s are even more forgiving. Mids are a bit recessed and everything is presented in a wider, more laid-back soundstage, with more air and depth. I would even call it more speaker-like.
Thanks for clarifying. I've got a pair of Sivga Phoenix cans on order, and if those don't work out then I'll probably order up a pair of X3's.

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #684 of 1,964
I wish the reviewer would have said more about the treble region of the X3's. I owned a pair of X2HR's and loved their PRaT and how good they sounded and would have happily lived with them as my daily drivers, but there was too much energy in the treble region so I got rid of them. I think it would have been helpful if the reviewer had gone into detail about the differences (or lack thereof) in treble between the X2's and the X3's.

Talked a lot about build quality and aesthetics which he already covered in the previous video.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #685 of 1,964
Talked a lot about build quality and aesthetics which he already covered in the previous video.
Yep, he was somewhat vague on sound quality. But I do appreciate his review.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #687 of 1,964

Did you notice any slight treble unevenness/peaks compared to the HD650? If it's smooth like the HD650 it's a big win

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #688 of 1,964
I got the SHP9600 to try. It sound pretty good! I actually enjoy it much better than the SHP9500 due to its less treble energy and smoother sound. The details are all still there but unlike the SHP9500, it is less fatiguing to me.

I agree with this assessment. The 9500 sound really good, but the 9600 provide an improved experience being a little more easier to listen to for longer periods of time due to its more relaxed treble response. The bass extension is just the right amount to add weight and power to the music without disturbing the mid section too much. For comparison I think the 9600 sounds very similar to the Sennheiser HD599. And my favorite thing of all about the 9500 and 9600 is that they both are two of the most comfortable headphones I own.

I did try the X2HR at the time I bought the 9500, but the stiffness of the pads and clamping force put a lot of pressure on my jaws and began to hurt only after a few minutes so I couldn't wear them for a long time. I'm the hoping the X3 have improved the comfort level.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #690 of 1,964
Did you notice any slight treble unevenness/peaks compared to the HD650? If it's smooth like the HD650 it's a big win
Yes, with some recordings I felt there was a slight uneveness, but switching to the HD650s it made me question this. The little amount of grain I described in an earlier post I didn't notice in the last sessions I had with them. I feel the treble of the X3s overall is a bit thinner and it sticks out a little bit more because the mids are a bit recessed compared to the HD650s. But there's no hardness, no steeliness or sibilance, it just is perceived as slightly brighter and thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back