Philips Fidelio X3
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #152 of 1,964
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #153 of 1,964
https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/philips-fidelio-x3-headphones-aim-to-deliver-style-and-sound

One weird/stupid twist is that they use proprietary locking MMCX connectors for the headphone-to-cable connection.

Wonderful. :confused:

- Edit -
I just watched the video, and it shows what looks like 3.5mm connectors being used. The headphones shown in the video are CG, so who knows how acurate it is. We shall see.

I'm guessing that's just a mistake in the article, unless they changed the design after they did the renders for the video, but I guess we'll see

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #156 of 1,964
I currently have both and I also prefer the X2 in both sound and comfort (X2 is just way more comfortable). The A800 seems to me more of a sidegrade in sound. I also find the A800 to have a smaller soundstage.

Got to chime in to this Fidelio x2/Onkyo A800 discussion as well. Now back like 2-3 years when i bought Onkyos, i had owned Fidelio x2's at that time for well over a year. The turning point was, when the Onkyo A800 was to be had on a discount for 200 euros new, could not pass that (i had tried them in a shop and got impressed by them; at that time, i had also owned Fidelio x2's for a long time). Basically they really sounded better in every way, except the soundstage being clearly smaller. Comfort however is as everyone has mentioned it, can't compare to Fidelios at all, but the clear sound improvement combined with enough of comfort, made me sell my Fidelios and haven't looked back since. Sold them to a friend and have listened to them here and there, still Onkyos just sound way better for me, not as V-shaped, the bass is tighter with less midbass bloom, just sounds more detailed and articulate all around. The soundstage is pretty similar to HD 6XX tbh, without the missing information between L / R / center image. Just my 2 cents

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #157 of 1,964
I seriously doubt Philips would consider using MMCX for a full size headphone, they know a thing or two about headphone design. Most likely a mistake in the article, since it clearly shows 3.5mm in the video.

I was considering the X2 as a compliment to HD600s a while back, but never had the chance to hear them. So I definitely want to try the X3 out.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #158 of 1,964
I seriously doubt Philips would consider using MMCX for a full size headphone, they know a thing or two about headphone design. Most likely a mistake in the article, since it clearly shows 3.5mm in the video.

I was considering the X2 as a compliment to HD600s a while back, but never had the chance to hear them. So I definitely want to try the X3 out.

To be fair they wouldn't be the first. Shure for one uses MMCX in some full-size headphones

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #159 of 1,964
They’re not out yet, so it’s gonna be hard to get measurement graphs.

We all know that's just an excuse. If you really wanted to get measurements, you would:
  • travel to wherever these headphones are stored (even if overseas)
  • do surveillance, than break into the building at 3AM dressed in black ninja clothing
  • find the headphones; set up a full measurement rig (which you would carry on you); and measure them
  • after getting of there w/o being caught--publish the measurements in this thread
Is this really so much to ask?

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #160 of 1,964
This just popped up in my news feed....
Screenshot_20200122-145830.png

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #162 of 1,964
Looks like identical pads to X2, hopefully philips will be providing replacement this time

Cable jack seems to stick out a bit too far for my liking, the one used in X2 was much smaller. Chunky plugs have risk of touching one's shoulders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back