Philips Fidelio X3
Mar 23, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #1,502 of 1,956
Definitely.

Although most comparisons you're going to find will be between the X2/X2HR and the X3. Not sure if I've seen any comparisons with the X1.
I already have a Philips Fidelio X1. Compared to X2, I liked the first ones a little more. But the difference between them is not significant. Philips Fidelio X3 I didn't have a chance to listen

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,504 of 1,956
I just got the X2HRs... didn't realize there was an X3 when I bought them.

From what I've read, the X3s are more balanced and less bass heavy than the X2HRs.

Is the consensus that they're worth the upgrade from X2HRs?

Mar 25, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,505 of 1,956
I just got the X2HRs... didn't realize there was an X3 when I bought them.

From what I've read, the X3s are more balanced and less bass heavy than the X2HRs.

Is the consensus that they're worth the upgrade from X2HRs?

That's a different question to answer. People who love the bass emphasis of the X2HR often do not like the X3 because it's different. But I prefer X3 over X2HR which was a little too bassy for me. And then there's the question of whether or not the difference in price would be worth it to you.

Amazon has them listed right now for $299 with a $37 clipable coupon and free returns. So free return shipping if you don't like them: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X3-Headphones-Multi-Layer-diaphragms/dp/B0884XTXS8/

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,506 of 1,956
That's a different question to answer. People who love the bass emphasis of the X2HR often do not like the X3 because it's different. But I prefer X3 over X2HR which was a little too bassy for me. And then there's the question of whether or not the difference in price would be worth it to you.

Amazon has them listed right now for $299 with a $37 clipable coupon and free returns. So free return shipping if you don't like them: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X3-Headphones-Multi-Layer-diaphragms/dp/B0884XTXS8/

Thanks for your help! I've never seen a coupon before on amazon... very strange.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,507 of 1,956
Do you guys think that these will be sought after and remembered after they go out of production?
The speculator in me wonders about picking up a few pairs to use for future trades since they are on sale right now for $173.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #1,508 of 1,956
Do you guys think that these will be sought after and remembered after they go out of production?
The speculator in me wonders about picking up a few pairs to use for future trades since they are on sale right now for $173.
If history is anything to go by, they'll be $99 at some point. L1 was MSRP $299, and I got it for $129 brand new (massdrop), L2 was MSRP $299, and I bought 3 pairs ($135, $99, and $72 all new from Amazon or Newegg, not 3rd party) and X2HR was MSRP $299 and I got it new for $99 from Amazon (not 3rd party). I wouldn't put money in these as an investment, especially not at $173.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,509 of 1,956
If history is anything to go by, they'll be $99 at some point. L1 was MSRP $299, and I got it for $129 brand new (massdrop), L2 was MSRP $299, and I bought 3 pairs ($135, $99, and $72 all new from Amazon or Newegg, not 3rd party) and X2HR was MSRP $299 and I got it new for $99 from Amazon (not 3rd party). I wouldn't put money in these as an investment, especially not at $173.
I paid $100 for my L2 and my X2hr...i would bet the X3 hits that piece at some point. I'll buy a second set when they do.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,510 of 1,956
The MSRP for the x3 was $399. I don't think these will ever go as low as $100. Would be a good deal and a screaming buy if they did though.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,511 of 1,956
As @askeladden says the X3 price has been around $170 here in Norway for the last 3 weeks. I bought one, but it had bad connection at the connector on the right earcup so I'm waiting for my replacement. These are new sealed units, produced in September 2020.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,512 of 1,956
The MSRP for the x3 was $399. I don't think these will ever go as low as $100.
You would think, but.......look, they are a great headphone that are worth $200 all day long. Unfortunately they were over priced when they were released, which caused them to take a hit with reviewers, which then caused headfi/reddit lemmings to write them off as not being a good value compared to something like the Sundara or HD 6XX.
Long term the X3 will be relegated to a similar status as the l2 and X2 before them: a headphone loved by people that have them, but not as highly sought as similar Sennheiser/ Hifiman/Beyers.....
Which means there's a good chance the price will dip to $100 for a short time, and then immediately bounce back up to the $200 range.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #1,513 of 1,956
You would think, but.......look, they are a great headphone that are worth $200 all day long. Unfortunately they were over priced when they were released, which caused them to take a hit with reviewers, which then caused headfi/reddit lemmings to write them off as not being a good value compared to something like the Sundara or HD 6XX.
Long term the X3 will be relegated to a similar status as the l2 and X2 before them: a headphone loved by people that have them, but not as highly sought as similar Sennheiser/ Hifiman/Beyers.....
Which means there's a good chance the price will dip to $100 for a short time, and then immediately bounce back up to the $200 range.

Although i got these for $160, I would be happy with these if i paid $300.
The only complaint being the cable.
Great all-arounders in my opinion.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,514 of 1,956
We've had these bounces a couple of times here. If they did similarly in the american market i suspect they would get a greater following.
I agree with your observations about the reviewers. Philips would have been wise in launching these at a lower msrp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back