Philips Fidelio X2HR - Released in spring 2017
Feb 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheEldestBoy

100+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about getting a pair of X2's for awhile now, but was a bit put-off by the claims of quality control issues after they were bought by Gibson.

Well, it looks like Gibson is about to address these issues by releasing an updated version of the headphone - the X2HR (HR = "High Res").  Some are saying that the only real change here is with the pads (they will be a bit more plush, and fully detachable).  Gibson themselves seem to be saying that the technology has been upgraded as well.

Take a look at this "Philips Headphones at CES 2017" video, posted by Gibson Guitar in January 2017:
  1. https://youtu.be/We70RsEtbyA

At the 1:30 mark, the Gibson rep is speaking about the new Fidelio X2HR and says, "We've now made it high-res. We've put technology in there that allows for the very best sound quality." 

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the release of the X2HR and to reading the reviews.  Hopefully, these will indeed be an upgrade over the X2 and my waiting will have been worth it!

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 14
so, the new version has "hi-resolution" pads and headband?

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 14
Just seeing this string. I've seen comments here and there (including on Head-Fi's longstanding Fidelio X2 thread) about this "HR" thing. Actually, it's confusing as hell. All they're changing are pads & headband?

I bought a Woox pair about a year and half ago, and they are so good.

FYI, an astute post on the X2 thread alerted me to the fact that you actually can change earpads on the X2, assuming your pair doesn't have glued-on pads (mine does not--the pads came off quite easily). Anyway, I now have Brainwavz new round pads (pleather) on them, and it's proving to be most interesting. The sound is somewhat different, but not in any way I would have predicted.

And here's a related point: since the Brainwavz round pads are slightly deeper than the stock X2 velour pads; and the Brainwavz round pads also come in velour--X2 owners can change to a slightly deeper velour pad, possibly enhancing comfort (and sound, just a little). Something to think about.

I can't imagine selling my X2s in order to get the new "HD" version. Just doesn't seem like a rational move.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 14
When will they become for sale in the us

That's a good question. Amazon has been out of stock of new X2's for a couple of months. Prices on the X2HR in Europe aren't encouraging however, so even if they do show up, they're not going to sell many of them for $300+.

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 14
so, the new version has "hi-resolution" pads and headband?
So it seems like it really is just some 'high-res' pads and a headband....if that is the case, I hope they eventually drop down to a consistent street price of $200....considering that's the price of the AKG K7XX and the HD 6XX the X2 seems fair at that price point as well.

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Just bought one from amazon at 125GBP. Good price?

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 14
You can buy the X2HR on Ebay for about $220. Pretty comfy. I don't think they sound any different than a regular X2....

If you want a super X2, save up money and get an HP3 :p

May 1, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 14
The whole 'Hi-Res' reads like marketing copy. There's zero substance beyond the repetitive use of the term 'Hi-Res'.

I'll limit my comments about Gibson to the following:
R7PX7AZ.jpg

Depending on one's preferences the Fidelio X2 can be a great sounding headphone. I owned a pair for a while and then gave them to my son. He enjoys them. He has several headphones and each seem to work well for certain genres of music. His are an early Gibson made unit with pads attached using adhesive. On the upside the pads are holding up really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back