Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #15,076 of 15,268
So it came to UK in 11 days, it feels soft if not softer, spongy as hell, fitting perfectly without an error, comfy as fricking most comfortable pads ever, and for the best part, sounds fricking spectacular, not a single complaint, this is best buy for replacement pads, do we still have complaints that there are no x2hr pads in the world? they've been there on ebay since forever
How's the density of the foam compared to stock? (I think the stock pads have to have the densest foam I've seen) I'm thinking about grabbing a pair. Not for my X2, but oddly enough for my Grados. For kicks I decided to give my X2 pads a try and they sounded pretty darn good - way better than the smothered sound I got from the Dekoni Jersey pads. I'm not sure if the difference is down to the foam, or the rigid backplate, but heck they're cheap enough to try.

And really Philips, stop making us buy Chinese knockoffs!

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #15,077 of 15,268
True, just arrived to the address, listened to jazz and rock, sounding bloated, boomy, busy metal tracks impossible to listen, good for listening to reviews and discussions on youtube, maybe some less busy drum and bass tracks, single player games like Half Life Black Mesa and doom 4 also fine, but it's insane how sound changes, sometimes even unbearable boomy, i like it with velour more tbh

Something I've learned from owning various ZMF headphones is that solid pads (pleather or lambskin) work best on closed back headphones, but sound pretty awful on open-backs. Perforated pleather/leather/suede pads or open-pore pads like velour work best on open-backs, but drive up the treble like crazy on closed-backs.

That seems to be the case with the open-back X2s. Solid pleather pads sound tragic on the X2s.

It might be interesting to try perforated suede pads on the X2s (that's my favorite ZMF pad), but the ZMF perforated suedes, while large enough in diameter, are sloped in profile (1.25" tall on one side & .8" tall on the other). That is a bass promoting profile in my experience...not a great idea for the X2s.

I'm not aware of any mfr who makes flat profile perforated suedes. Maybe Dekoni?

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #15,079 of 15,268
How's the density of the foam compared to stock? (I think the stock pads have to have the densest foam I've seen) I'm thinking about grabbing a pair. Not for my X2, but oddly enough for my Grados. For kicks I decided to give my X2 pads a try and they sounded pretty darn good - way better than the smothered sound I got from the Dekoni Jersey pads. I'm not sure if the difference is down to the foam, or the rigid backplate, but heck they're cheap enough to try.

And really Philips, stop making us buy Chinese knockoffs!
Can't tell, cause I instantly threw original ones away, and never looked back, they just gather dust and hair like originals, but the Chinese knockoffs are the only ones I am going for as daily drivers

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #15,080 of 15,268
Another question out of curiosity
Can anybody with a new pair of X2/X2HR let me know how thick their earpads are. Just wondering if/how much my earpads have compressed over time
Rough measurement from the back of the pad adapter to the thickest point of the pad is ~27mm. I bought a replacement set of X2HR recently and immediately put the new pads in storage as spares.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #15,081 of 15,268
Rough measurement from the back of the pad adapter to the thickest point of the pad is ~27mm. I bought a replacement set of X2HR recently and immediately put the new pads in storage as spares.
Thanks for the feedback. Checking mine, the thickest part (front/back) is roughly 27mm too. Top/bottom seems to be closer to 25mm. Seems the earpads don't really compress as they age, unlike Senns

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #15,082 of 15,268
Thanks for the feedback. Checking mine, the thickest part (front/back) is roughly 27mm too. Top/bottom seems to be closer to 25mm. Seems the earpads don't really compress as they age, unlike Senns
No prob. 25mm on the lowest portion is also what I have.

I'd agree that yours have not compressed. I have been using some hybrid velour/pu leather pads from amazon lately. I think I posted the link a page or two back. So far so good, but I did EQ the bass down some. Really comfortable though, much more comfortable than stock. And they are X2HR/X3 specific, so they snap into place.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #15,083 of 15,268
Fidelio X2 definitely don't emphasize sibilance very much, but if it's in the recording, well... They are still hifi headphones and are likely to let you know. But that's the same for my HD598 and my DT770, in fact if you listen to a lot of content creators on youtube you will find plenty of sibilant speech on any good headphone. Not everybody runs an SM7b hehe.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #15,085 of 15,268
Hi
What the difference between x2 and x2hr?
I own all the Fidelio X (started with the first Fidelio X which i sold to get the X2). The Fidelio X2 is the same headphone with same sound as the Fidelio X1, but sold with new cable. Now the Fidelio X2HR sounds more clear...bass less overwhelming. The Fidelio X2 is a bit boomy.

FIDELIO_X.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #15,086 of 15,268
Guys I have a pair of X2hrs that died but the pads are absolutely in mint condition. I noticed someone is selling a pair of x2s near in the exact opposite condition of my hrs... Perfectly working headphones but shreaded pads.
This seems to be one of the early x2s though... The ones that had glued pads. Will the pads of the X2hrs be usable on the ones that had glued pads?

Also, should I be aware of something when it comes to sound? If they are made by Gibson or something like that since they are from the first batches of x2s?

Sorry for the bother and thank you in advance.... :)

Aug 17, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #15,087 of 15,268
Guys I have a pair of X2hrs that died but the pads are absolutely in mint condition. I noticed someone is selling a pair of x2s near in the exact opposite condition of my hrs... Perfectly working headphones but shreaded pads.
This seems to be one of the early x2s though... The ones that had glued pads. Will the pads of the X2hrs be usable on the ones that had glued pads?

Also, should I be aware of something when it comes to sound? If they are made by Gibson or something like that since they are from the first batches of x2s?

As far as I know, the pads are interchangeable. If the other pair does have glued pads, the worst that you'd have to deal with is cleaning any residue from the glue of the mounting pegs.

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #15,088 of 15,268

They will be useable. Nothing to be aware of for sound.

Whenever I buy new or used headphones, I always run some tests using this excellent website:
https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

It has saved me from quite a headphone faults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back