Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 12, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #14,254 of 15,268
I have two Fidelio X2HR's connected to a computer via a splitter (3.5mm), but even at 100% volume, is too quiet; even with only one X2HR connected. Only having one connected, makes it a bit louder (about 5-8% louder), but still too low. Tried with 3 other desktop pc's too. So I need an amp or dac/amp.

Any amp or dac/amp you recommend for X2HR's? They are only used for movies :)

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #14,255 of 15,268
Connecting an X2HR to a soundcard sometimes works, but sometimes it doesn't, as in your case. It is definitely time for you to get a DAC and amp.

There are a number of all-in-ones, some quite cheap, especially my very nice-sounding, tiny FiiO e10K. But to really get to the next level of sound, I recommend separates. These need not be expensive. For example, these are both well reviewed & well regarded. You can get both for ~$200 total, which is roughly what an inexpensive but good all-in-one will cost:

iFi Zen DAC ($129 USD): https://www.soundphilereview.com/reviews/ifi-zen-dac-review-9013/

Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark Headphone Amp ($84):
https://www.ebay.com/p/16026523499?...zRDMbqru32FR3LzocehS-cer49CRU9mhoCifwQAvD_BwE

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #14,256 of 15,268
Connecting an X2HR to a soundcard sometimes works, but sometimes it doesn't, as in your case. It is definitely time for you to get a DAC and amp.

There are a number of all-in-ones, some quite cheap, especially my very nice-sounding, tiny FiiO e10K. But to really get to the next level of sound, I recommend separates. These need not be expensive. For example, these are both well reviewed & well regarded. You can get both for ~$200 total, which is roughly what an inexpensive but good all-in-one will cost:

iFi Zen DAC ($129 USD): https://www.soundphilereview.com/reviews/ifi-zen-dac-review-9013/

https://www.ebay.com/p/16026523499?...zRDMbqru32FR3LzocehS-cer49CRU9mhoCifwQAvD_BwE
Hmm..the monolith are not available in Norway..any other alternative amp?

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #14,257 of 15,268

Not sure I could find my Fiio E10. :wink: It was the first amp/dac I hooked up to my laptop...the leap in sound quality from pc soundcard audio to this unit was well worth the $70.

Honestly, it may well be the iFi Zen will do the trick without the need to the get the Liquid Spark. That said, the X2's sound is very nice through the LS Amp (and LS Dac)...also a $200ish duo.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #14,258 of 15,268

I must have lost my mind. I just realized the iFi Zen is both DAC & headphone amp! (sound of palm slapping forehead). It's an all-in-one. I recommended this for a musician friend--he loves it.

Dirt cheap to get an all-in-one with quality sound for just $130...

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #14,259 of 15,268
Not sure I could find my Fiio E10. :wink: It was the first amp/dac I hooked up to my laptop...the leap in sound quality from pc soundcard audio to this unit was well worth the $70.

Honestly, it may well be the iFi Zen will do the trick without the need to the get the Liquid Spark. That said, the X2's sound is very nice through the LS Amp (and LS Dac)...also a $200ish duo.

You're right about the iFi Zen--which I just realized is an all-in-one, DAC + HP amp. So that's all you need for a quality alternative to a sound card.

You're also right about the FiiO E10. When I hooked that up to my computer & connected my 1st really good HP, the Fidelio X2s, to it--sonic magic happened. The world shifted on its axis right then; I began my long, insane journey to audio extravagance.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #14,260 of 15,268
You're right about the iFi Zen--which I just realized is an all-in-one, DAC + HP amp. So that's all you need for a quality alternative to a sound card.

You're also right about the FiiO E10. When I hooked that up to my computer & connected my 1st really good HP, the Fidelio X2s, to it--sonic magic happened. The world shifted on its axis right then; I began my long, insane journey to audio extravagance.
Yep...even got a balanced connection if Nobank gets a set of cans that can benefit down the road. Really amazing what iFi has packed into that unit for the price!

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #14,262 of 15,268

If you insist on buying in Norway you'll have very limited choices (and most overpriced). Ifi and AQ Dragonfly should be possible to get but Ifi products tend to be over priced here.

If you would consider buying from Aliexpress I'd highly recommend getting the E1DA 3038D. I've got both the first and third generation of the 9038S (balanced version) and they deliver A LOT for the money. Aliexpress will calculate the price including tax ("moms") for you so what you pay there it is what it will cost you to get it delivered to you in Norway (roughly NOK 1,250).

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #14,263 of 15,268
Received the X2HR's...pretty disappointed so far..coming from a HyperX Cloud 2 user.

Heavy, ear pads too stiff and thick, clamp force too much. Even after loosening the clamp force overnight, still too much. Now they don't even seal around my ears because of the now reduced but yet high clamp force. Only reduced clamp force on one of the two pairs i got.

Don't understand the hype. Multiple people tried with different headshapes. Same result. I even got two pairs. We all thought the same.

They also sound very distant and only sound okay when you physically push them against your ears...and only then you can maybe argue that they sound better than the HyperX Cloud 2's, but worth the price jump? Never!

Can't do anything about the weight, pads have to be swapped, clamp force have to be reduced over night (with a book or something - but little by little so you don't loosen them too much), they have to be EQ'ed for best sound. They don't play loud enough without a decent amp (ifi zen dac).

Luckily the drivers on both unit were very balanced. At least.

Will give them a week before i return them. Won't purchased pads because they don't even sound more impressive than the cheap HyperX Cloud's to begin with.

Hoping for a miracle.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #14,264 of 15,268
Received the X2HR's...pretty disappointed so far..coming from a HyperX Cloud 2 user.

Heavy, ear pads too stiff and thick, clamp force too much. Even after loosening the clamp force overnight, still too much. Now they don't even seal around my ears because of the now reduced but yet high clamp force. Only reduced clamp force on one of the two pairs i got.

Don't understand the hype. Multiple people tried with different headshapes. Same result. I even got two pairs. We all thought the same.

They also sound very distant and only sound okay when you physically push them against your ears...and only then you can maybe argue that they sound better than the HyperX Cloud 2's, but worth the price jump? Never!

Can't do anything about the weight, pads have to be swapped, clamp force have to be reduced over night (with a book or something - but little by little so you don't loosen them too much), they have to be EQ'ed for best sound. They don't play loud enough without a decent amp (ifi zen dac).

Luckily the drivers on both unit were very balanced. At least.

Will give them a week before i return them. Won't purchased pads because they don't even sound more impressive than the cheap HyperX Cloud's to begin with.

Hoping for a miracle.

Nothing is for everyone. Fortunately imo otherwise this hobby would be pretty boring :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back