Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 5, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #13,126 of 15,268
That Dudes video is complete fiction or put politely, complete and utter BS!!!

He either has a bad set or he needs to go to a doctor and get a referral to a hospital. :ksc75smile:

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #13,127 of 15,268
That Dudes video is complete fiction or put politely, complete and utter BS!!!

He either has a bad set or he needs to go to a doctor and get a referral to a hospital. :ksc75smile:

tenor.gif
I do not get it also.... How cn Simeone line beyers and call the x2 harsh or spikey. Sure they are not neutral but they are far fram harsh. I love them. Thought it was another onde of those buy and quicly selo headphones but in the meantime i sold my hd600 and momentum 2.0 and this guys are still here. Theres a mix of confort and musicality that is unbeatavle for my taste. Sure there are times i wish it sounded more natural here and there but overall i love their sound.

Aug 5, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #13,128 of 15,268
I also have no intention of getting rid of my X2, I reckon that I am very picky and I don't keep any stuff that I can't use like a workhorse.

A new addition to the family of favourites is the fostex T40 Mk3 which I got for £114. I have taken off the cup vent covers and currently trying various easy to do mods and really enjoying it.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #13,129 of 15,268
I do not get it also.... How cn Simeone line beyers and call the x2 harsh or spikey. Sure they are not neutral but they are far fram harsh. I love them. Thought it was another onde of those buy and quicly selo headphones but in the meantime i sold my hd600 and momentum 2.0 and this guys are still here. Theres a mix of confort and musicality that is unbeatavle for my taste. Sure there are times i wish it sounded more natural here and there but overall i love their sound.

Yes, I'm always mystified when someone describes the X2s as peaky, or bright, or harsh. I always figure they either have a bad pair (doubtful); or their perception of sound is under either far shoulder of the bell curve for "normal distribution of subjective perception of tonal characteristics in headphones."

I've also seen very occasional "it's too bright" comments about other headphones that strike me at not bright (ZMF Ori; Audeze LCD-2/pre-fazor).

People are different, and everyone hears things differently.

In this connection, it helps to remember a neurological reality about perception and the senses: perception of sound (just like that of light, smell, taste, and touch) is routed from the sense organ to the brain, where it is processed, interpreted, and "modeled," and only then is "perceived" by the listener as sound. Given that everyone is different to begin with; and that we understand very little about the brain to begin with; this all leaves a TON of wiggle room for perceived differences in sound (as in everything else).

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #13,130 of 15,268
So what headphone would sound most like the X2s these days? Wondering just in case I can't find a X2 in the future, as they are pretty hard to find a new pair for sale in the US. From what I read online, maybe the DT-990s?

Also prob a dumb question, could I order the X2s from Amazon.es to the US without no problem?
The dt990's are very different sounding than the x2's. They have a leaner, sharper sound than the x2's, with a stronger peak in the treble.at 9khz.
In general, the x2's are a much warmer, more full bodied headphone.
You might be able to order from Amazon.es, although there might be import duties and fees. I don't know for sure.

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #13,131 of 15,268
Based on my limited experience, there is very little out there tuned similarly to the X2. It’s basically neutral until it gets into the sub-bass region, where it has a big bump. Now there are quirks in the treble that I think cause some to find it peaky. But by and large it sticks to the curve.

The Focal Elear comes pretty close, but even that has a touch too much mid-bass and perhaps not enough neutrality in the mids.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #13,132 of 15,268
The closest I've found (and actually better imo) is the Onkyo A800. It's more balanced though but still definitely a lot of similarities between the two.

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #13,133 of 15,268
Based on my limited experience, there is very little out there tuned similarly to the X2. It’s basically neutral until it gets into the sub-bass region, where it has a big bump. Now there are quirks in the treble that I think cause some to find it peaky. But by and large it sticks to the curve.

The Focal Elear comes pretty close, but even that has a touch too much mid-bass and perhaps not enough neutrality in the mids.

Tonal similarity is just one of the ways to assess how headphones sound. The Elear may/may not look similar to the X2s on a FC graph (I kind of doubt it). But based on my lengthy listening sessions with both, the more noteworthy differences appear in other sonic characteristics:
  • Dynamics: The Elear practically jumps up and down w/dynamics on my head. It's nearly assaultive the way music gets hammered into my ears. The X2s have more restrained dynamics overall--more in line with the way music actually behaves dynamically (ie, HiFi vs musical).
  • Soundstaging: The Elear may be an open-back, like the X2s, but the soundstaging is more precise, pinpoint, not as distant from my head. The X2s have a very diffuse/expansive soundstage. Which is better? No doubt many prefer the Elear, but I don't. The X2s' soundstaging is more relaxing.
  • Treble: The Elear has more treble, and even though it's detailed & resolving, it's also somewhat bright. Combine that w/the jumpy dynamics (which extend all the way up) and the Elear is one of those "Look at ME!!" headphones. The X2 is more chill--not just in the absolute amt of treble, but in the relaxed way it's delivered to the ears.
Net/net: IMO the Elear is the classic "in your face" headphone. It can be very exciting--but also can be rather relentless. The X2s are less assertive; you just relax and flow along with the music.

Personal differences are major in this hobby. But let's just say the X2s are a better match for my sonic tastes, despite not doing the "technicalities" as forcefully as the Elear.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #13,134 of 15,268
So what headphone would sound most like the X2s these days? Wondering just in case I can't find a X2 in the future, as they are pretty hard to find a new pair for sale in the US. From what I read online, maybe the DT-990s?

One of the closest would probably be the Klipsch HP-3, but you're not going to like the price.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #13,135 of 15,268
Klipsch is V shaped and looks like the X2, but is closer to a better version of the TH-X00 series. Either way, I love the X2, but it cannot even remotely compete with the HP3 in terms on anything.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #13,136 of 15,268
Klipsch is V shaped and looks like the X2, but is closer to a better version of the TH-X00 series. Either way, I love the X2, but it cannot even remotely compete with the HP3 in terms on anything.

I got my X2 for £129 but the HP3 is only £1300 which is only 10 times the price. :smile_phones:

And most people are saying that the HP3 is very V shaped but I really like good clear precise vocals with good presence, otherwise I lose interest.

What is so special about the HP3 that justifies the cost other than the looks and build quality?

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #13,137 of 15,268
I got my X2 for £129 but the HP3 is only £1300 which is only 10 times the price. :smile_phones:

And most people are saying that the HP3 is very V shaped but I really like good clear precise vocals with good presence, otherwise I lose interest.

What is so special about the HP3 that justifies the cost other than the looks and build quality?

Deep soundstage, amazing sub bass, excellent detail retrieval, decent noise isolation for an open back. Actually has mids, unlike the X2. Only negative is a timbre better suited for pop-EDM-rap instead of actual instruments. I'm not saying it sounds 10x better (audio = diminishing returns), but it kicks the X2's and THX00's ass.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #13,138 of 15,268
As a very satisfied user of my now 8 months old fidelio X2 HR I have not been able to resist the temptation to buy an Onkyo A800 at a favorable price.
What can I say, there is a time for pleasure but sometimes also for adulthood.
The A800 seems to be the wise father of the X2 cua display and appearance.
Very decent absolute and a sound reproduction which is absolutely positive in the purest form.
I love these headphones for their excellence and high-level construction and finishing for this price range.
I have to admit that my X2 HR is idle in the closet since the arrival of the A800.
Flavors will always differ, so could be different for everyone else.
Listen and especially enjoy the headphones that touch and appeal to you the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back