Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 9, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #12,781 of 15,268
Just as lucky is how good they always sound to me. I have a pair of headphones that betters them in every possible way; getting another pair that will probably better them. But I still reach for the X2s constantly, more often that the others. Part of it is that they're open, and that's somehow relaxing, mentally & physically. But it's also the sound, which is so human-sized, friendly.

^This. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what it is about them, but there is just something magical to them. I'm still chasing that magical quality in something more technically proficient...

Nov 9, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #12,782 of 15,268
^This. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what it is about them, but there is just something magical to them. I'm still chasing that magical quality in something more technically proficient...

Me, too. I'm very drawn to anything open back that does "the technicalities" really well, but also sounds very musical. That sounds like it would be easy, but when you exclude Audeze & Hifiman (I do that for personal reasons), there aren't many really good thing out there. A couple candidates:
  • ZMF Auteur (very expensive for me, but I love the ZMF "house sound"
  • Fostex TH500RP planar (open-back...a lot of people like its sound)

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #12,783 of 15,268
Me, too. I'm very drawn to anything open back that does "the technicalities" really well, but also sounds very musical. That sounds like it would be easy, but when you exclude Audeze & Hifiman (I do that for personal reasons), there aren't many really good thing out there. A couple candidates:
  • ZMF Auteur (very expensive for me, but I love the ZMF "house sound"
  • Fostex TH500RP planar (open-back...a lot of people like its sound)
True. There is something special in the overall package. A mix of powerfull, sufficiently detailed and not too agressive sound in a beautifull and confortable headphone that is super easy to drive. I have the hd600 abd it is easilly boticeable the superior resolution and setail but the truth is that i prefer the overall sound sig and presentation of the x2s.

Usually i am the oppostite. I prefer closed cans because of the intimacy and full immersion on the sound without distractions. But on the x2 it seems to strike a nice balance becase also gou dont ear much noise from the outside as with other open backs. The hd598 and hd600 for example let much more outside noise in...

I still think my first pair sounded slightly airy and slightly better than the other 2 but i am going to atribute that to the lighter clamp. But the differences were too suttle to justify keeping a headphone with a weir clicking sound on the right cup.

Nov 9, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #12,784 of 15,268
When a thing contacts the human body (such as headphones do, in a particularly close/intimate way), our preferences are driven at least as much by emotion and emotional context, as by "quality." We've all had our favorite pair of shoes; pants; shirt, etc. How many can really say it's favorite purely because of quality? Most of the time, it's more because it makes us feel good.

Audio gear is really no different.

I first learned this lesson years ago when I had a big living room system, all pretty good quality audio equipment (tube preamp, tube amps, big speakers w/subs, good TT, etc). I realized that some equipment--not just speakers, but even things like a preamp or amp--simply made me feel good. Sure, they sounded great...but along w/it came a hard-to-define quality of relaxation, ease. I would think to myself, "I don't have to worry now; component X is in charge."

That's the X2s. I put them on; they sound good; I feel good.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #12,785 of 15,268
Like you, I love my X2s. Feel very lucky to somehow have avoided all the QC issues that plagued the brand in 2016, big stoppage of selling them on Amazon, and so on. My pair is perfect--no glued pads, no channel imbalanced. I'm very lucky.

Just as lucky is how good they always sound to me. I have a pair of headphones that betters them in every possible way; getting another pair that will probably better them. But I still reach for the X2s constantly, more often that the others. Part of it is that they're open, and that's somehow relaxing, mentally & physically. But it's also the sound, which is so human-sized, friendly.

I'm 100% in agreement. I JUMPED at the $150usd (shipped to USA) price, and couldn't have been happier after lusting after them for 2+ years. I can't tell you how many times I was going to pull the trigger on $200usd USED pairs on ebay.

And like you, my 100% Gibson (box and headphone) has zero issues, no imbalances, no glued on pads, etc.

I went to the Ohio CanJam a few weeks ago and heard some WAY higher end gear, including TOTL gear and planar magnetics from Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Sony, Ether Flow, HifiMan, Focal, Audeze and many others. Sure, there was a pile of gear that was 'technically better' than the X2. But at the end of the meet I sat down at my table and listened to my X2 for 30 minutes before I left with a smile on my face and was happy as a clam. They are just the perfect mix of comfort, easy and fun listening, ease of driving, and great sound that makes it a headphone that I cant WAIT to put on a listen to at the end of a long day.

I'm probably going to request to be buried with them I like them that much haha

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #12,787 of 15,268
just make sure everybody understands you mean "after death occurs, buried wearing my X2s"

haha. Yeah, no concrete shoes or anything like that.

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #12,789 of 15,268
I am smiling for this very highly musical headphone at a very very very low price. Simply, thank you Philips!
I agree that they are a very musical headphone. I recommend them to anyone on budget that's looking for a great sounding inexpensive pair of headphones.

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #12,790 of 15,268
Our only regret may be that we only got one pair.... :D
I doubt that a x3 is on the way soo or otherwise phillips would not have made the x2hr revision....

I may be stupid but right now if i had to give up a headphone i would let the hd600 go. The hd600 has more resolution and detail but for what i listen (mostly indie rock, metal, prog and trance) the x2s sound signature is a perfect match. Actually i think i have a nice selection of headphones now... reduced my collection from 6 to 3 headphones, sold the momentum 1.0 and 2.0 and the dt770. With the hd600, x2 and hd25 i think i am pretty much covered. I liked the momentum 2.0 but i barely use headphones on the street nowadays and if i need that my hd25s got that covered with better fit, isolation and much more rugged build while maintaing great sound. For home use i have the othef 2 wich are much more confortable.

I may end up selling the hd600 to try the hd650 or 660s and after that i think i will not bother with headphones anytime soon.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #12,792 of 15,268
I haven't tried the hybrids--though I keep meaning to purchase & try the Brainwavz round velours.

I tried the round pleathers on the X2, and it wasn't boomy at all--if anything the opposite. It sounded very controlled. That big, spacious bass changed to an impactful bass w/less decay--almost like the X2s became a closed headphone. The sound overall wasn't harmed--it was actually quite interesting. But ultimately I decided to go back to that ear-friendly open X2s' sound via stock pads.

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #12,794 of 15,268
I haven't tried the hybrids--though I keep meaning to purchase & try the Brainwavz round velours.

I tried the round pleathers on the X2, and it wasn't boomy at all--if anything the opposite. It sounded very controlled. That big, spacious bass changed to an impactful bass w/less decay--almost like the X2s became a closed headphone. The sound overall wasn't harmed--it was actually quite interesting. But ultimately I decided to go back to that ear-friendly open X2s' sound via stock pads.

Very interesting to know!

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #12,795 of 15,268
Or the perforated ZMF ones.
I've got the original ZMF sheepskins myself and boy am I intrigued.

Interesting suggestions. I never tried angled pads w/the X2s (because stock velours aren't angled).

Are "original ZMF sheepskins" & perforated ZMF pads angled, or not? I think they must be angled.

The other variable here is earcup diameter. The newer ZMF pads (used for Atticus/Eikon & Auteur) are all 110mm in diameter, which might be a bit big for the X2s...or not.

If anyone tries ZMF pads w/the X2s, please post impressions here.

I found it hard to improve on the sound of the X2s w/stock pads, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back