Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #12,767 of 15,268
Hey man i also bought the X2HR during the EBAY sale! my first headphones ever.
Currently having the ER4PT and this cans.

Btw Where do you get your case in Australia? And what stand do you use?

Sorry i wanted to PM you instead of bombing this thread but i cant seem to do it thanks!

Very nice! Glad to see you took advantage of that killer deal. :)

I disabled PM's but it's no problem happy to help here where I can.
What do you mean by "case"? I'm unsure to even assume.

I don't use a headphone stand but have been looking at these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24463
https://www.etsy.com/market/headphone_stand
https://www.casebuddy.com.au/products/wooden-headphone-stand?variant=4387395333

Cheers and enjoy! :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #12,769 of 15,268
Very nice! Glad to see you took advantage of that killer deal. :)

I disabled PM's but it's no problem happy to help here where I can.
What do you mean by "case"? I'm unsure to even assume.

I don't use a headphone stand but have been looking at these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24463
https://www.etsy.com/market/headphone_stand
https://www.casebuddy.com.au/products/wooden-headphone-stand?variant=4387395333

Cheers and enjoy! :)

sorry i meant to say a fidelio x2 headphone case!

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #12,770 of 15,268
sorry i meant to say a fidelio x2 headphone case!
Ah, I'm still not aware of what a case is for the Fidelio X2, do you mean to transport it around? I have no experience with those type of products, mine just currently sit on my desk near my left speaker when I'm not using them, plugged into my JDS Element.

Sorry I can't help you out. D:

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #12,771 of 15,268
All the sound you need, what a great pairing! So much detail and what a bargain for enthusiast who want to enjoy music on a budget!

Spending the evening with this pairing, and they are wonderful together. I have 'phones that perform better technically than the X2's, but they are still one of the best tuned cans I've ever heard. Just exactly the sound signature I want for open dynamics.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #12,772 of 15,268
Spending the evening with this pairing, and they are wonderful together. I have 'phones that perform better technically than the X2's, but they are still one of the best tuned cans I've ever heard. Just exactly the sound signature I want for open dynamics.
I agree. The X2's really just let you sit back and enjoy music. They have a really high comfort level. Another good thing about them is they sound good with just about any amp. But the iDSD BL just has complete control of the drivers. They sound really musical with it.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #12,773 of 15,268
I agree. The X2's really just let you sit back and enjoy music. They have a really high comfort level. Another good thing about them is they sound good with just about any amp. But the iDSD BL just has complete control of the drivers. They sound really musical with it.

That's a good way to put it. I find they are really good for older recordings that were mastered on analog, especially with the 3D switch with the BL engaged. They sound like a good loudspeaker set-up turning vinyl that way. Most of my other cans are planars, and for some reason, they just don't sound right to me with those vinyl rips.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #12,774 of 15,268
That's a good way to put it. I find they are really good for older recordings that were mastered on analog, especially with the 3D switch with the BL engaged. They sound like a good loudspeaker set-up turning vinyl that way. Most of my other cans are planars, and for some reason, they just don't sound right to me with those vinyl rips.
The 3D+ switch is amazing as to what it adds to headphones. Especially closed cans. It takes the already open X2's and makes them more airy. The bass is so good on the X2's that it's one of the few headphones that I don't have to flick the XBass+ switch on.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #12,775 of 15,268
The 3D+ switch is amazing as to what it adds to headphones. Especially closed cans. It takes the already open X2's and makes them more airy. The bass is so good on the X2's that it's one of the few headphones that I don't have to flick the XBass+ switch on.
Huh, interestingly enough I had been feeling like the X2HR's were lacking on my amplifier, they sounded good but something wasn't quite right. I'm quite surprised to find a whole lot more detail, seperation, sound stage and bass by flipping the gain switch on my JDS Element. I had the X2HR running on LG as they're a low impedance and easy to drive yet found myself on multichannel content near-maxing out the dial.

A/Bing between LG and HG shows quite a difference on all content, even 2 channel content that wasn't maxing out the dial previously and was using maximum half of the dial, my experience has improved quite a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #12,776 of 15,268
Huh, interestingly enough I had been feeling like the X2HR's were lacking on my amplifier, they sounded good but something wasn't quite right. I'm quite surprised to find a whole lot more detail, seperation, sound stage and bass by flipping the gain switch on my JDS Element. I had the X2HR running on LG as they're a low impedance and easy to drive yet found myself on multichannel content near-maxing out the dial.

A/Bing between LG and HG shows quite a difference on all content, even 2 channel content that wasn't maxing out the dial previously and was using maximum half of the dial, my experience has improved quite a bit.
Theres’s nothing wrong with having more power than what’s needed for headphones. I loving having extra headroom in amplifiers for those moments when I want to turn up the volume when one of favorite tunes is playing. The iDSD BL has three power settings. It even has iFi’s IEMatch built in for sensitive iem matching. The Mojo works well with the X2HR’s too. I love the micro details it brings out of the X2HR’s. But I like the tonality that the iDSD BL has with the X2HR’s better. It just sound so right to my ears.

I want to hear the JDS Element. Their plant is just across the river since I live in St. Louis. Maybe I’ll take the X2HR’s over for a demo and a plant visit. :ksc75smile:

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #12,777 of 15,268
Theres’s nothing wrong with having more power than what’s needed for headphones. I loving having extra headroom in amplifiers for those moments when I want to turn up the volume when one of favorite tunes is playing. The iDSD BL has three power settings. It even has iFi’s IEMatch built in for sensitive iem matching. The Mojo works well with the X2HR’s too. I love the micro details it brings out of the X2HR’s. But I like the tonality that the iDSD BL has with the X2HR’s better. It just sound so right to my ears.

I want to hear the JDS Element. Their plant is just across the river since I live in St. Louis. Maybe I’ll take the X2HR’s over for a demo and a plant visit. :ksc75smile:

Oh lucky you, definitely give it a shot when you get the chance, would be curious to know what differences (if any) you hear. :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #12,778 of 15,268

So to follow this up, I've been doing a lot of testing with LG and HG.

Having my amp on HG introduces extra hiss to treble sounds and is overall more fatiguing on the ears.

X2 sounded best on LG - sometimes I can confuse extra hiss or sibilance for detail until after a while when I find it's abrasive to my ear, not extra clarity.

I also have a problem with cranking the volume too high as well forgetting that a lot of dynamic volume content will play sounds louder than voices, always have had that problem and it causes problems for me with identifying whether it's me or my gear that is the problem.

That last sentence is a mess, I need to go to sleep.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #12,779 of 15,268
Well, its pretty much confirmed. Amazon diacontinued the Philips Fidélio x2. Usually they would go away for a few days and comeback again but now every european amazon ia no longer selling them for almost a month. Now the only options we get on european amzons is to buy from a third party seller (they ask more than 500 euros :D ) or buy the x2hr wich is sold between 360 and 330 euros.

I cant say they are perfect or that i will keep them forever but i AM very happy i for a pair of x2s and evento happier i get when i remember that i paid 90 euros for my pair and it is flawless. They are actually getting even better because they clamped a bit too much and now that i stretched them a bit and the pads are sofrer, they are getting better and better.

To think that for months this guys were on sale for 129 euros.... Lower that the dt770, m50x, hd25 (and i love this last 2)..... Unless someone really needed isolation or a analytical sound, (at least for me) this x2s were the bang of the year for me.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #12,780 of 15,268
Well, its pretty much confirmed. Amazon diacontinued the Philips Fidélio x2. Usually they would go away for a few days and comeback again but now every european amazon ia no longer selling them for almost a month. Now the only options we get on european amzons is to buy from a third party seller (they ask more than 500 euros :D ) or buy the x2hr wich is sold between 360 and 330 euros.

I cant say they are perfect or that i will keep them forever but i AM very happy i for a pair of x2s and evento happier i get when i remember that i paid 90 euros for my pair and it is flawless. They are actually getting even better because they clamped a bit too much and now that i stretched them a bit and the pads are sofrer, they are getting better and better.

To think that for months this guys were on sale for 129 euros.... Lower that the dt770, m50x, hd25 (and i love this last 2)..... Unless someone really needed isolation or a analytical sound, (at least for me) this x2s were the bang of the year for me.

Like you, I love my X2s. Feel very lucky to somehow have avoided all the QC issues that plagued the brand in 2016, big stoppage of selling them on Amazon, and so on. My pair is perfect--no glued pads, no channel imbalanced. I'm very lucky.

Just as lucky is how good they always sound to me. I have a pair of headphones that betters them in every possible way; getting another pair that will probably better them. But I still reach for the X2s constantly, more often that the others. Part of it is that they're open, and that's somehow relaxing, mentally & physically. But it's also the sound, which is so human-sized, friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back