Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 8, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #11,596 of 15,268
Ok guys, need help. I'm wondering if getting a different amp is really going to make the sound of the X2 any better. Currently using my HTC 10 amd the Shozy Magic for the X2. If I did upgrade amp I want something highly detailed but with a smooth sound signature. But if upgrading to a different amp wont do much I'd rather get a iem. Does anyone know of an iem that has a huge bag full of details but with enough bass to satisfy? I was looking at the Pinnacle P1 and the Ibasso IT03 but also am looking at the Noble Savant and a few other I want to keep my budget at strictly $400 Aud but would bump it up to $600 of the iem is truly worth it. Any suggestions?

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #11,597 of 15,268
some albums just seem like they were made to be listened to on the Fidelio X2.

listening to a FLAC copy of Vangelis' 1979 classic album China = 中國 atm (Sony F807 DAP paired with my iBasso D Zero MKII amp/dac + the X2's) and the sound stage,detail retrieval,warmth ,clarity (and bass impact) are all superb.

i'm especially impressed with the dynamics and layering  of the two closing tracks 'Himalaya' and 'Summit' but the entire album is really well mixed/produced,(as can be said for the majority of Vangelis' catalog). i highly recommend this album for finding out just what your own X2's are capable of.

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #11,599 of 15,268
For rock, the HE-400i's are better. Orchestral music is a toss up as the HE-400i's are more neutral and detailed, while the X2's have the larger and wider soundstaging that such music needs to really shine IMO. Metal, EDM, movie soundtracks etc sound better with the X2s due to the largr soundstage and bass punch.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #11,601 of 15,268

The O2 is serious overkill for the X2.  Sounds great, but on low gain I can't go past 10 o'clock on the volume knob.  Of course that would vary depending on your high and low gain settings in the O2.  Mine is the standard 2.5x and 6.5x.

I presume mine is too, but to be perfectly honest, I've always been a bit 'hmmm' about the output levels. Like maybe it was a duffer. It works well enough for my purposes, but on the K702s I need it past the 2 o'clock position on high gain setting to get comfortable. Maybe that's just the k702s. It was one assembled by the nice people at the now-defunct Epiphany Acoustics, and I had to send it back a couple of times on QC issues.

Regarding DACs, I've got the non-DAC O2 so I'm using a Fiio Taishan. (People grumble about the Taishan, and there have been loads of complaints about bad batches of them, but mine seems to perform fine.)

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #11,602 of 15,268
The price of X2 makes them really easy to recommend. There is little that can really compare with the X2 at its current going price that can really compare with it, and I can think of only the HD6XX being as good a value. This pair of cans isn't even picky when it comes to what amp you run them with, and they will happily sing with almost any potato that you plug them into at that.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #11,603 of 15,268
Ok guys, need help. I'm wondering if getting a different amp is really going to make the sound of the X2 any better. Currently using my HTC 10 amd the Shozy Magic for the X2. If I did upgrade amp I want something highly detailed but with a smooth sound signature. But if upgrading to a different amp wont do much I'd rather get a iem. Does anyone know of an iem that has a huge bag full of details but with enough bass to satisfy? I was looking at the Pinnacle P1 and the Ibasso IT03 but also am looking at the Noble Savant and a few other I want to keep my budget at strictly $400 Aud but would bump it up to $600 of the iem is truly worth it. Any suggestions?

If your question is if the X2 will improve a lot with a different set-up, I can't really answer that, but the general consensus on this forum seems to be that upgrading the amp does not provide a big leap in SQ for the X2.

If you're looking for IEM advice I think you're in the wrong thread. Might want to start your own one in the help section. As for an answer to the question, I haven't heard IEMs in this price range personally, but judging by reviews I think you're on the right track with the P1 and IT03. Campfire nova would be worth considering, maybe Shure 535, or wait a bit longer and pre-order the new trinity - their Master 4 just got delivered, and doesn't sound too far removed from my Philips L2 so maybe a step-up in their line-up would do the same for the X2.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #11,604 of 15,268
If your question is if the X2 will improve a lot with a different set-up, I can't really answer that, but the general consensus on this forum seems to be that upgrading the amp does not provide a big leap in SQ for the X2.

If you're looking for IEM advice I think you're in the wrong thread. Might want to start your own one in the help section. As for an answer to the question, I haven't heard IEMs in this price range personally, but judging by reviews I think you're on the right track with the P1 and IT03. Campfire nova would be worth considering, maybe Shure 535, or wait a bit longer and pre-order the new trinity - their Master 4 just got delivered, and doesn't sound too far removed from my Philips L2 so maybe a step-up in their line-up would do the same for the X2.
I felt that moving from my C&C Bh2 to the Shozy Magic was a big improvement in sound quality. But i've decided that i'm going to get me self an Opus #1 Amp/Dac and the Etymotoc Er4Xr :grin:. Was doing some listening with a few other amps and I realized getting a amp for the X2 wont be an upgrade but more of a sidegrade unless I spend over a grand. But yes me love the X2 & Magic very very much that I decided to let them be :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #11,605 of 15,268
Hey guys.  Just purchased brand new X2's on Amazon yesterday for $198.  They ran a special with a $50 coupon so I figured it was a great time to finally buy them.  Got a quick question.  I will mainly be using these with my iPhone 7 Plus for listening.  I understand that they shouldn't require extra amplification since they are 32 ohm or thereabouts.  But, as you know the iPhone 7 Plus no longer has a headphone jack and you need to use the lightening to headphone jack adapter that came with your phone to use wired headphones.  I have used it with the other pairs I have recently tried out (Sennheiser 598CS which I didn't like the sound of & the Beyerdynamic DT990 which I really liked except for the treble being slightly too sibilant and fatiguing to my ears.  I like my highs but these were just a bit too much).  I understand the adapter has a DC inside it and I don't know how good it really is (i understand that Apple has generally used good amp and DAC's in there phones in the past but not too sure about this adapter).  Do you think getting something like the Dragonfly Black and getting a lightening to USB adapter and then the Dragonfly Black and it's DAC/amp would make a big difference in the sound for me?  Has anyone used the Dragonfly Black with an iPhone in the past and have any advice.  Thanks.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #11,606 of 15,268
@cc1995
Congrats on your purchase. 

If I may ask, since it's an open headphone (and the X2 do leak sound), I believe you will listen to it from your home, so is there a reason to not simply use your computer ? or even if you want to move a lot in your house, a portable audio player ? I know my sansa clip+ work really good with the X2 for example. ^_^

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #11,607 of 15,268
I'm not sure the Lightning->USB->DAC setup would even work, is an Apple phone gonna support an external third party DAC? It's a pretty specific device. They're plug and play on Windows computers but I dunno about Apple computers, much less phones. You'd want to have someone on record saying they've tried it and it's worked with your exact DAC before buying the Lightning-USB adapter.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #11,608 of 15,268
  @cc1995
Congrats on your purchase. 

If I may ask, since it's an open headphone (and the X2 do leak sound), I believe you will listen to it from your home, so is there a reason to not simply use your computer ? or even if you want to move a lot in your house, a portable audio player ? I know my sansa clip+ work really good with the X2 for example. ^_^

I thought it would sound better on my iPhone 7 Plus than on my iMac from 2008.  Plus I like to relax in my living room in my rocking/gliding chair at night.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #11,609 of 15,268
  I'm not sure the Lightning->USB->DAC setup would even work, is an Apple phone gonna support an external third party DAC? It's a pretty specific device. They're plug and play on Windows computers but I dunno about Apple computers, much less phones. You'd want to have someone on record saying they've tried it and it's worked with your exact DAC before buying the Lightning-USB adapter.

It works with the iPhones and with Android phones and supposedly pretty well.  I guess with the iPhones I'm hearing that you should get the Lightening connector to USB3 Camera adapter since with the regular Lightening to USB camera adapter some have experienced a clicking sound.  I heard from others that it's a really great DAC/amp.  Just curious if I tried it out if you think it would be worth the expense.  I have heard others on this board say that amplification isn't really needed but can help clean up some things with the X2's.  I have no experience with that stuff so I was hoping others might have used them or have experience using an external DAC rather than the one from an iPhone or iPhone adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back