Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #10,622 of 15,268
X2 is one of the best if not the best value of hi-fi headphones out there right now.

Does so much things right.

Yes, it is not perfect.
Mids could be a bit more pronounced, slightly more forward.
Bass could be tighter and snappier, but hey this is an opened can.

I am not sure if there is opened can out there with better bass than X2.

For £150 it is a steal.
I'd struggle to find anything better up to £3-400 to be honest.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #10,623 of 15,268
  Yep, I have the exact same problem.  Love the sound and kept them hoping that as the pads wore in and my face oil transfered to the velour covering that it would help with the itching.  No such luck.  Damn things itch worse than commercial carpeting on my face.  Really depressing. 
confused_face_2.gif

I too am experiencing itching from the pads.

When I take them off my skin is red in a circle around my ear where the pad touched.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #10,625 of 15,268
  I too am experiencing itching from the pads.

When I take them off my skin is red in a circle around my ear where the pad touched.

These itchy pads must be different than my early production woox pair.  As mine are not itchy at all. They are not squishy soft, but there is a soft feel to them. Sorry to hear about this problem. It's important to be comfortable wearing headphones. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #10,629 of 15,268
I received a PM to compare 3 headphones.
I thought, I share the question and the answer here, as it might benefit others.

"-Hello can you tell me how the X2 pair against the 400s, nighthawk? 

- Hi,

All I can tell you is my personal experience.

Some headphones are better with certain music, others are better with other type of music.
HD600 for example is great with classical and acoustic music, X2 is a good opened headphone for electric or contemporary music.

Also the picture is changing depending on the DAC or headphone amp you use.
Some headphone/DAC synergies are better than others. (I use Chord Mojo.)

And all of this comes down to personal preference.
Some people prefer neutral, natural sound, some prefer a bit more bass and fun.

I am looking for fun but quality sound. I prefer a slight bass emphasis over neutral, so bearing all of this in mind here is my very brief comparison of X2, 400s and Nighthawk (using Mojo):

X2 and 400s are opened, NH is semi-opened.
Therefore X2 and 400s have bigger soundstage, much more air, space to the sound.
NH is much more forward. Music is closer. More intimate.

I favour 400s the least due to my preference.
400s has a very clean sound with black background. Very natural, especially in mids. The best of the three for natural voice/vocal. And classical. Bass is far more the weakest of all three. Natural listening experience, but not fun at all.

X2 is my personal choice for now (waiting for TH-X00) mainly because of the price for value.
X2 is opened, so you have the space and naturalness.
Also, with X2 you have a pretty decent bass. Not as deep and punchy as it can be with a closed headphone, but maybe the best you can get with an opened dynamic headphone.
 Not as neutral as HD600, but much, much more fun. Does so many things on such a good level, that makes it unbeatable for the price. Even for twice the price it would be unbeatable.

NH is another awesome headphone, but even second hand it costs more than twice as X2.
Bass is awesome. The best ever. (Haven't heard X00 yet.) Very dark, very smooth sound signature.
Bass is just extremely enjoyable. Better than X2 bass.
Mids and highs however feel a bit closed and congested compared to X2. Also less natural, less airy.

400s was not a contender for me knowing my preference of music and sound signature.

I could live with both the NH or the X2.
However I prefer the opened airiness of the X2 over the better bass of NH. Even though I am a bass enthusiast.
Not to mention the huge price difference.

I am hoping X00 will have the same good bass of NH, (if not tighter and more precise).
And a bit more spacious and opened mids and highs..
Will see.

400s is a no go for me.
I would probably choose NH over X2 if they were the same price. (£165).
NH being significantly more expensive, my vote is X2 for now.

I am waiting for X00 to convince me it is worth the extra cost.

Hope my insights help you."

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #10,631 of 15,268
  i decided to sent back the fidelio because after 30 minutes i have to take off because they hurt my ears ! Too heavy for me !

LOL, they are not supposed to hang off your ears, dude. 
wink.gif

They're actually pretty light. You should try the LCD-2 some day! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #10,635 of 15,268
Listening to the X2 for a little while sometimes causes my left ear to kind of "clip." I think it's how the driver interfaces with my inner ear. That ear does have a problem though, so it's not the X2's fault.
As for weight, the X2 is quite light(thanks to Philips making the cans look more beefy than they actually are.) But eventually, they make my neck kinda tired. All ya need is a chair with neck support^^. If you want lighter cans, you'll lose the amazingness that is the X2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back