Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #10,366 of 15,268
Yes I made a mistake saying manufacturing and not quality control and it seems about the holes also.

I could not tell if the pins were sitting flush in to the holes because of the glue, it becomes apparent now that was the issue.

A foot not being in the hole would indeed knock them outward some to make the sound unbalanced as my ear was farther from the driver.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #10,367 of 15,268
Going to pull the trigger and get them off Amazon. I don't want the bass to be too overpowering that I can't hear vocals in movies etc, but punchy enough that it's not weak. My HyperX headphones I love, but could do with a bit more bass/wow factor. I just really don't want a muddy sound experience. I'm just hoping the separation between different sounds is good. Whilst using it for films, I hope there's a good soundstage for gaming. With music I'm not too fussed.

They should arrive tomorrow and hopefully I'm happy with them. I plan to give my HyperX headphones (with the velour style pads) to my sister as it's her birthday on Sunday.

EDIT: Oh, I don't have an amazing amp, heard they don't need to be driven that much. I have a Mixamp Pro (due to switching audio between PC and PS4) and they make my HyperX headphones a lot clearer/better than if I ran them off my phone or my sound card.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #10,368 of 15,268
  Going to pull the trigger and get them off Amazon. I don't want the bass to be too overpowering that I can't hear vocals in movies etc, but punchy enough that it's not weak. My HyperX headphones I love, but could do with a bit more bass/wow factor. I just really don't want a muddy sound experience. I'm just hoping the separation between different sounds is good. Whilst using it for films, I hope there's a good soundstage for gaming. With music I'm not too fussed.

I think you're gonna love them.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,369 of 15,268
I'm so, so indecisive. Won't rush into a decision for now.

I have money saved for the Oculus Rift which is coming out soon and I'm wanting to buy wheels/pedals for it to play racing sims. I'll also have to factor the budget of buying VR-specific games for it too. Funnily enough, the rift does come with some high quality headphones attached which will be an upgrade on my current ones, but of course I'd like these X2s when I won't be using the rift.

So I'm going to see what my budget is after these purchases, possibly do some more research in the mean time. I am happy with my current headphones for now, they do the job, so I'll look into it.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #10,370 of 15,268
The earpads are keyed so they can only go on one way, properly that is. This must mean the earpads were literally glued on upside down ignoring the pins?

Yeah, I find that hard to believe, and even if they were it would be extremely rare - as in we've only heard one person on earth mention it. Certainly not a cause that is affecting most people.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #10,371 of 15,268
  I'm so, so indecisive. Won't rush into a decision for now.

I have money saved for the Oculus Rift which is coming out soon and I'm wanting to buy wheels/pedals for it to play racing sims. I'll also have to factor the budget of buying VR-specific games for it too. Funnily enough, the rift does come with some high quality headphones attached which will be an upgrade on my current ones, but of course I'd like these X2s when I won't be using the rift.

So I'm going to see what my budget is after these purchases, possibly do some more research in the mean time. I am happy with my current headphones for now, they do the job, so I'll look into it.

Check out the Vive, that's a mind blowing device!

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #10,372 of 15,268
Okay - well this is welcome turn of events...:)

I got myself a second-hand pair. 2014 Woox branded. Even after a 6 month+ saga of two returns, I knew from research that this headphone couldn't be bested in its price bracket. Reluctantly I decided to take a punt took and seek out an early production model in the hopes my two glued, channel imbalanced Gibson sets were an unfortunate aberration. It turns out that seems to be the case.

This set has a different sound signature for sure. It sounds far more neutral, balanced and defined. My other pairs were more bass dominant. It overwhelmed the sound slightly, but in that agreeable V-signature type way. That reported discrepancy between what people reported in sound always puzzled me (the recessed/un-recessed mids discussion for example). The others were no slouch, imbalance aside, but these just have that nice roundedness I'd been reading about by fans. What I'd originally been seeking out in the first place.

Materials are different too. The headband seems different to both the other two, though the ear-cushions seem the same as on my first return (i.e. the shiny velour type, as opposed to matte felt type ones). I also perceive no channel imbalance, and honestly, I'm considering not searching for one with frequency sweeps. I'm sure I'd find something. Ignorance is bliss though; these just sound too good to taint!

I can only conclude that either the sound has changed for good, or my two previous models were from a bad batch; because, oddly, some people report their Wooxs sound the same as their Gibsons. :confused_face:

For me though, it's come as a welcome surprise :L3000:

Mar 19, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #10,373 of 15,268
Okay - well this is welcome turn of events...
smily_headphones1.gif

I got myself a second-hand pair. 2014 Woox branded. Even after a 6 month+ saga of two returns, I knew from research that this headphone couldn't be bested in its price bracket. Reluctantly I decided to take a punt took and seek out an early production model in the hopes my two glued, channel imbalanced Gibson sets were an unfortunate aberration. It turns out that seems to be the case.

This set has a different sound signature for sure. It sounds far more neutral, balanced and defined. My other pairs were more bass dominant. It overwhelmed the sound slightly, but in that agreeable V-signature type way. That reported discrepancy between what people reported in sound always puzzled me (the recessed/un-recessed mids discussion for example). The others were no slouch, imbalance aside, but these just have that nice roundedness I'd been reading about by fans. What I'd originally been seeking out in the first place.

Materials are different too. The headband seems different to both the other two, though the ear-cushions seem the same as on my first return (i.e. the shiny velour type, as opposed to matte felt type ones). I also perceive no channel imbalance, and honestly, I'm considering not searching for one with frequency sweeps. I'm sure I'd find something. Ignorance is bliss though; these just sound too good to taint!

I can only conclude that either the sound has changed for good, or my two previous models were from a bad batch; because, oddly, some people report their Wooxs sound the same as their Gibsons.
confused_face.gif

For me though, it's come as a welcome surprise
L3000.gif

LOL I've heard it said that when you have a good pair of X2s, you KNOW it within about 20 seconds! That was certainly the case with me, even though I have a Gibson pair.

Congrats on finding what you were looking for!

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #10,374 of 15,268
LOL I've heard it said that when you have a good pair of X2s, you KNOW it within about 20 seconds! That was certainly the case with me, even though I have a Gibson pair.

Congrats on finding what you were looking for!

Heh, that applied to me. First I noticed the centralness of the stereo image, then the neutral harmony of the sound. It's like the other pairs had almost a veil of bass over the the top. Not necessarily unpleasant, but the clarity these have while still retaining body is far more to my liking.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #10,375 of 15,268
Okay - well this is welcome turn of events...
smily_headphones1.gif

I can only conclude that either the sound has changed for good, or my two previous models were from a bad batch; because, oddly, some people report their Wooxs sound the same as their Gibsons.
confused_face.gif

For me though, it's come as a welcome surprise
L3000.gif

Interesting impressions there about the sound differences.
I also own a 2014 Woox version, and never understood the V-shaped/muddy bass/recessed mid argument. These are nowhere V shaped, but bass emphasized neutral in a fun way. Not neutral in a HD600 sense, but still neutral.

I am really keen on to try a pair now from the glued batch. (Although, it seems to me there are differences withing the glued batch as well.)

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #10,376 of 15,268
Recently purchased a pair of Woox-made X2's on the marketplace sub-forum. Love these headphones, but they've developed a slight buzzing in the lower frequencies of the right driver, which is also developing into a channel imbalance issue. Contacted Philips, who instructed me to email Gibson. Awaiting a response from the latter.

I guess that my chances of receiving a Woox model from Gibson is going to be non-existent? Not really looking forward to that, given some of the issues I've read ITT. Hope all turns out well! Love these cans to death.

Edit: Most of my listening is done via a 2013 rMBP, and an iPhone 5S. Been considering a FiiO E11k. Anyone have experience with this particular amp and the X2's? (Or any amp for that matter) Definitely don't need an external DAC, as my MBP does the job nicely as-is.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #10,377 of 15,268
^ Sorry for that mate. It really sucks. I'd say your best bet is to buy a secondhand pair of Wooxs again. Seller will be able to vouch on the quality that way too.

Interesting impressions there about the sound differences.

I also own a 2014 Woox version, and never understood the V-shaped/muddy bass/recessed mid argument. These are nowhere V shaped, but bass emphasized neutral in a fun way. Not neutral in a HD600 sense, but still neutral.

I am really keen on to try a pair now from the glued batch. (Although, it seems to me there are differences withing the glued batch as well.)

Exactly this. The sound is neutral, but with some thickness when needed. Full-blooded rather than anemic. I think there are variations too. As I said, my previous two pairs weren't unpleasant signature wise. Just different.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #10,380 of 15,268
I
how the mojo chord will sound on my Philips Fidelio X2, (woox) or shall I for

iFi AudioMicro iDSD to choose ??? choices choices

DO i really need have Amp or will I have enough to DAC

I use to listen to music a Macbook Pro 2015

sorry for my bad English
I've demoed it and honestly didn't think it'll "need" an amplification at all... It's quite efficient but will benefit from amplification. External DAC, the one Build in with MBP is good enough I guess? I only have a Macbook Air2010 in possession (it has noticeable hiss when using IEM, alright with fullsize) so I can't comment. For me an entry lvl DAC like Q1 is good enough for years of future upgrade tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back