Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #10,111 of 15,268

Everything is moddable and most things can be improved upon even on the high end.

I watched the video only to half of it, but I love the enthusiasm and the accent.
Knowing I also have an accent being a Hungarian in UK for 5 years.
It is just such a pleasure to see something like this.
No boundaries, no nations, no races. Only the pure audio enthusiasm that bounds us together.
Liking this or that. Preferring stock over modded version.
There is one thing in common: crazy love of quality audio, and love of audio enjoyment.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #10,112 of 15,268

That's exactly right.  I see this as a huge problem.  You wouldn't notice it right way unless someone points it out or until they become very loose, because there is tension when you grab them by the speaker unit and there is tension when they are on your head, so the loose screw issue is only noticed if you gently hold the phone in your hand and gently rock the speaker assembly.  If its loose now, it will get looser. 
The main issue people will now face is how to disassemble these speaker assemblies so that we can access the head band screws.  If they can be accessed, then a thread locking compound can be used and the screws can be re tightened and that should solve the problem.  It would be a terrible shame and a very unconventional design decision to lock the user out of disassembly like that.  Very odd and unconventional of a design decision to do that.  Good luck.  I'm refunding mine and buying a different brand.

You're certainly free to return them.  It seems a bit of an over reaction, to return something in anticipation of a problem which doesn't seem to be actually happening.  I've had mine for several months now, no problem, and I treat them normally - not rough, but not with any special handling.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #10,113 of 15,268

You're certainly free to return them.  It seems a bit of an over reaction, to return something in anticipation of a problem which doesn't seem to be actually happening.  I've had mine for several months now, no problem, and I treat them normally - not rough, but not with any special handling.

The loose screws are also occurring on my X2s.  What I want to know is how to FIX the problem.  I absolutely love these cans and have no desire to return them.   I suppose I could use needle-nose pliers and tighten them up a bit but they will eventually work themselves loose again without Loctite.  Does anyone know how to disassemble the driver cups to access these screws?  It's a bit of a puzzle to figure out how the X2 was originally assembled.  Philips does not have a stellar reputation for customer support but maybe Gibson will better respond to their customer's complaints?

My Fostex TH-00X are due to arrive in May which means most likely the Fidelios will no longer be used on a daily basis. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #10,114 of 15,268

The loose screws are also occurring on my X2s.  What I want to know is how to FIX the problem.  I absolutely love these cans and have no desire to return them.   I suppose I could use needle-nose pliers and tighten them up a bit but they will eventually work themselves loose again without Loctite.  Does anyone know how to disassemble the driver cups to access these screws?  It's a bit of a puzzle to figure out how the X2 was originally assembled.  Philips does not have a stellar reputation for customer support but maybe Gibson will better respond to their customer's complaints?

My Fostex TH-00X are due to arrive in May which means most likely the Fidelios will no longer be used on a daily basis. 

Oh, I was just looking at those screws today.

Earlier when I was modding my X2s I saw that those screws are actually glued on the inside. If you take off the pads and the drivers, you will see where the screw... er its not really a screw its fake screw, you'll see how it comes together.

*Here are some pics I just took. The stuff on the screws is a glue. The screw is more like an axle, its glued/affixed to the cup.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #10,117 of 15,268

I am not returning them in anticipation of anything.  My headphones are actually loose right now and still under warranty, so they are getting refunded.  Perhaps you misread what I posted.

Oh, I was just looking at those screws today.

Earlier when I was modding my X2s I saw that those screws are actually glued on the inside. If you take off the pads and the drivers, you will see where the screw... er its not really a screw its fake screw, you'll see how it comes together.

*Here are some pics I just took. The stuff on the screws is a glue. The screw is more like an axle, its glued/affixed to the cup.

This is very helpful indeed.  Thank you for sharing this.  It looks like there is hope to fix them, whether that means using a good, strong epoxy or whatever it takes.  At least you appear to have shown how to access the problem area which is a great help and should ease anxiety for anyone with loose screws.

However, after looking closer, I'm not sure those are the screws people are having issues with.  Those appear to be the pivot axles that the cups pivot on and not the head band screws.  Although maybe you can access the head band screws after taking the cups apart like this still.  That glue explains why people can't remove those plastic screws.  The damn things are glued in place, lol.  Yeah those are definitely not the head band screws.  Do you have access to the metal head band screws that are attached to the actual metal head band rods?

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #10,118 of 15,268
Sound wise all Fidelio X2 should sound the same as far as I've read. The make can be checked by sliding the headband hammock up, and on one side of the plastic band holding the hammock, the name should be visible. Mine has Woox written in relief on the left earcup side.

Cheers

Hmm, I was not aware of this, and what I found is quite interesting.....

My X2's are only a few weeks old, and from the recent Massdrop batch.

The bottom of my retail box says Gibson, and my earpads were indeed glued. I assumed I had a Gibson pair.

However, checking under the headband as you suggest, I am presented with a Woox label.

Huh? What gives?

Regardless of the Make, I am extremely pleased with my X2's :)

To an above poster using a V-Moda Boom Pro and having sound issues...............try a different cable. I too was using the Boom Pro, and switched to a different cable to "save" wear on the Boom Pro while I wasn't using the mic. IT MAY BE completely my imagination, but they seemed to wake up a little bit, and that's just swapping to a $3 4ft Monoprice cable. If it is just my imagination, then you wasted a whole $3 :p

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #10,120 of 15,268

Phillips sold Woox to Gibson. They're all the same now except some are glued, probably because someone too smart at Gibson saw that the earpads come off too easily... 

Apparently that did not go down well with fans.

My X2's were one of the first batches from 11/14 that didn't have glue on them. The earpads don't come off easily at all. I'd be mad too if there was glue on mine.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #10,121 of 15,268
  Hmm, I was not aware of this, and what I found is quite interesting.....

My X2's are only a few weeks old, and from the recent Massdrop batch.

The bottom of my retail box says Gibson, and my earpads were indeed glued. I assumed I had a Gibson pair.

However, checking under the headband as you suggest, I am presented with a Woox label.

Huh? What gives?

Regardless of the Make, I am extremely pleased with my X2's :)

To an above poster using a V-Moda Boom Pro and having sound issues...............try a different cable. I too was using the Boom Pro, and switched to a different cable to "save" wear on the Boom Pro while I wasn't using the mic. IT MAY BE completely my imagination, but they seemed to wake up a little bit, and that's just swapping to a $3 4ft Monoprice cable. If it is just my imagination, then you wasted a whole $3 :p

You have the Gibson pair, they all have Woox under the Headband adjuster.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #10,122 of 15,268
Nice photo Sorensiim!
After an hour of 40 playing you will find a little improved sound of the X2.
Bass get tighter and mid seems to get less recessed.
I love the X2 especially with dance music, certain songs revealed nice complex bass.

I must also say I am using my new Ibasso dx80 which is sounding neutral.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #10,123 of 15,268
Ah okey, it says WOOX NL5616LZ-400 SFH4. Is this a good sign or could this be one of the versions with QA issues? You say all X2 sound the same no matter when and where they were made... However I read alot that some unit after the manufacturing changes are sounding quite damp... thats why I am scared to have one of these since I described them as damp compared to the DT990

Okay, apparently I stand corrected, and all headbands have Woox branding on them, and only the box would say whether its Woox or Gibson.

Regardless, the sound quality issues would be negligible, if any, and you could check out Z Reviews on youtube, and get in touch with him for more info on this. He's done a second video on this issue.

Hope you finally settle on their sound, as for me their sound is amazing for the price, and when run from my newly acquired ibasso D14 'Bushmaster' through SPDIF input from my FiiO X3, they sound just fantastic.

Cheers and happy listening

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #10,124 of 15,268
Can I remove this glue and clean them ?

my x2 Will arrive today or tomorrow 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back