Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 25, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #10,081 of 15,268
  Just had to share this.. 

Feel free to respond http://www.amazon.co.uk/brought-please-speaker-speakers-headphones/forum/Fx1436IMSYS2YAB/Tx2UK4K6HF3IGRT/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00MRUPSHQ&authToken=4f049db8-fc03-465f-bfce-eb439897c878&cdEmailView=A20RGHDS55X2VK&cdHideAnswers=1&cdHideBuyBox=1&cdShowAnswer=1&redirect=true&ref_=pe_747761_41185591

Looking at that users review history, looks like a troll acct.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #10,082 of 15,268
  Got my X2 today:

Not bad... not bad at all. Build quality seems very nice and they're pretty comfortable too. Bass goes way beyond what I though was possible with open-backed dynamic cans; It goes very deep, yet remains tight and controlled. Straight out of the box the mids are a little more recessed than I'm used to and I'm not completely blown away by the detail retrieval either. But considering that my daily driver is the $1600+ K10 CIEM, I'm very happy with having spent $215 on these 
biggrin.gif

Same here.  I'm trying to figure out what sounds similar to X2 but has more forward mids.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #10,083 of 15,268
  Perhaps Oppo HA2? Pair it with X2 it works great for me.

The OPPO HA-2 is great for mobile use! I started with that as my DAC/Amp, and it does a great job. I particularly like the Bass Boost, it's very nicely implemented and not overdone at all.

However, the HA-2 tops out at 220mW @ 32 ohms, while the X2 is rated for 500mW! While I was waiting for my Massdrop X2's, I stepped up to the Schiit Magni/Modi Uber combo. For the same $300 as the HA-2, it can output 1500mW @ 32 Ohms, enough to destroy the X2 if you're not a little careful :p As a nod to the longevity of my X2, I haven't switched my Magni off Low gain since the day I received it.

I personally now use my HA-2 paired with either my laptop or my phone, and the Schiit stack is paired with my main PC. The X2 sound fantastic (to my ears) with either :)

I should point out that the build quality of the HA-2 is amazing, it exudes high class. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #10,084 of 15,268

I visited a friend and fellow Head-Fi'er tonight and we tried this combo with the X2 just for the hell of it... Sounded absolutely spectacular, but luckily the Chord Hugo is priced so far into oblivion that I won't seriously consider getting one. But it was fun to try!

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #10,085 of 15,268
I'd like to know how many people here have had X2 headband screws come loose on them.  Look at them.  The leverage on those tiny screws when removing the headphones is pretty high.  I am willing to bet that every pair of these will have this issue at some point.  You simply can't put pressure on those screws for years by putting the phones on and taking them off again, pulling the cups apart and having those two tiny screws take all that repeated force, and not work themselves loose at some point.  I see that as a glaring design oversight.  How someone can design that connection and feel confident about it simply blows my damn mind.  I can't possibly trust these phones ever again.  Not possible.  How could anyone be comfortable with this?

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #10,086 of 15,268
The X2 should work just fine, as long as there isn't something really wrong with your audio output.

I compared them to my iPod, Apogee Duet (headphone out) and Schiit Lyr 2 and found little difference.

If you don't like the color they produce, try a different pair.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #10,087 of 15,268
  I'd like to know how many people here have had X2 headband screws come loose on them.  Look at them.  The leverage on those tiny screws when removing the headphones is pretty high.  I am willing to bet that every pair of these will have this issue at some point.  You simply can't put pressure on those screws for years by putting the phones on and taking them off again, pulling the cups apart and having those two tiny screws take all that repeated force, and not work themselves loose at some point.  I see that as a glaring design oversight.  How someone can design that connection and feel confident about it simply blows my damn mind.  I can't possibly trust these phones ever again.  Not possible.  How could anyone be comfortable with this?

I think if there was a high failure rate on the 'screws', it would be all over THIS thread. 
biggrin.gif
  You may be right though. It does look like a weak point. 

In checking it out for you (putting the HPs on and off), I realized that I grab the ring, not the pads when doing that.  That removes the stress on those 'screws'.  Maybe you were grabbing the pads?  Maybe most here grab the ring and that's why there hasn't been more reports of failure?  Do/did you grab the pads?  This might be the reason.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #10,088 of 15,268

Mine are over a year old, no issues what so ever. I'm pretty comfortable with them. 
Maybe you have bad luck having a bad pair of cans. 

But is always nice when the design of the cans makes self-repair possible. That doesnt seem to be the case here. Too bad.  But its only an issue when you need to make repairs.

If you make ' some point'  more concrete, like say, 2 years,  im willing to take on your bet. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #10,090 of 15,268
  I think if there was a high failure rate on the 'screws', it would be all over THIS thread. 
biggrin.gif
  You may be right though. It does look like a weak point. 

In checking it out for you (putting the HPs on and off), I realized that I grab the ring, not the pads when doing that.  That removes the stress on those 'screws'.  Maybe you were grabbing the pads?  Maybe most here grab the ring and that's why there hasn't been more reports of failure?  Do/did you grab the pads?  This might be the reason.

The screws are attached to those rings.  I am not talking about the big plastic gray colored screws that the speakers pivot on.  Those are the ones that can't be removed.  Look under the metal ring at the top, right where they are connected to the two metal rods of the head band.  There is pair of tiny nuts under the top side of the ring there and all of the clamping force from the headphones is focused 100% on those two tiny screws.  The metal rods go through those rings and underneath the ring is where the problem screws are.  Its a leverage point and will most certainly come loose on many of these cans over time. 
Many of you guys use different cans for different things.  I am a one can man.  I used these every day, and took them off many times each day.  Less than a year, the left side became loose and that is the side that I grab the cans to remove them.  The right side is still tight because I don't take them off from the right.  I take them off from the left and set them down on top of my computer next to me to my left. 
I'd be willing to bet that with frequent use many of these things come loose. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #10,091 of 15,268

Thanks for mentioning this Moonbogg.  After reading your post, the left side of my X2 screws are also definitely loose.  Just how to access these loose screws is a real problem.  The other screws on the ear cup pivot points don't seem to want to unscrew at all.  One is plastic (possibly just decorative) and mars easily and the other just won't budge.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #10,092 of 15,268

Thanks for mentioning this Moonbogg.  After reading your post, the left side of my X2 screws are also definitely loose.  Just how to access these loose screws is a real problem.  The other screws on the ear cup pivot points don't seem to want to unscrew at all.  One is plastic (possibly just decorative) and mars easily and the other just won't budge.

That's exactly right.  I see this as a huge problem.  You wouldn't notice it right way unless someone points it out or until they become very loose, because there is tension when you grab them by the speaker unit and there is tension when they are on your head, so the loose screw issue is only noticed if you gently hold the phone in your hand and gently rock the speaker assembly.  If its loose now, it will get looser. 
The main issue people will now face is how to disassemble these speaker assemblies so that we can access the head band screws.  If they can be accessed, then a thread locking compound can be used and the screws can be re tightened and that should solve the problem.  It would be a terrible shame and a very unconventional design decision to lock the user out of disassembly like that.  Very odd and unconventional of a design decision to do that.  Good luck.  I'm refunding mine and buying a different brand.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #10,093 of 15,268

Some while ago we were having a discussion on the wiring of the X2 and how the X2 is assembled.. All pure hypothetical of course. Dont wanna damage mine. See  post #9474

Users who are viewing this thread

Back