Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 17, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #9,947 of 15,268

The one on amazon is Dacport HD, which is a higher version of the Dacport Slim (although sound is the same, except the HD can play DSD). The Dacport Slim is not on market, its only appear on Massdrop sessions (for 99$). The Slim session just closed like 2-3 days ago. 
rolleyes.gif

Oh, okay. I've never used Massdrop, so that's okay; I'll just skip out on it. $99 can get me a Micca Origen, which I've heard are pretty good.

I'll keep an eye out. For now, I'm fine with the SupremeFX III, but I'll look for a better external DAC. Thanks!

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #9,948 of 15,268
Heh, yep, that's the problem. I don't think there's anything in the immediate price bracket. Really sucks.

I'm going with fostex th-x00. The X2 and hd600 are different headphones so I'm keeping both around. The fostex should do quite a bit of everything.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #9,950 of 15,268

What would you guys consider the next step up from the X2s? Third time is suppose to be a charm, but I don't want to risk it.

If you were to ask 10 different people directly, you'll likely get 10 different answers. 

But I'll give you something to look into.  The HE400i. 

I loved, loved my X2's. Thought for awhile they might be my end-game.  But, I've always had the itch to hear some planars. When HiFiMAN ran the holiday sale on the HE400i, I jumped.  I actually didn't like them at first.  I was soo used to the X2's sound.  I set them aside.  A few days later, something about them called me back. Tried them again, and put them aside.  This went on for a couple of weeks like that and somewhere in there I let them burn-in for 150 hrs (as per HiFIMAN's recommendation) unattended playing FM.

I started using them exclusively, and became accustomed to their accurate, tight, fast and detailed signature and I now find it hard to go back to the X2's.  I still do love them though, and I'm going to keep them. There are still some types of music that they just sound right with!  I'm not sure there's anything else that compares closely to them. Great bass and open soundstage. But just understand, the X2's and the HE400i's are completely different sounding headphones. We all have our tastes and like what we like.  So, enjoy the hunt!

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #9,951 of 15,268

If you were to ask 10 different people directly, you'll likely get 10 different answers. 

But I'll give you something to look into.  The HE400i. 

I loved, loved my X2's. Thought for awhile they might be my end-game.  But, I've always had the itch to hear some planars. When HiFiMAN ran the holiday sale on the HE400i, I jumped.  I actually didn't like them at first.  I was soo used to the X2's sound.  I set them aside.  A few days later, something about them called me back. Tried them again, and put them aside.  This went on for a couple of weeks like that and somewhere in there I let them burn-in for 150 hrs (as per HiFIMAN's recommendation) unattended playing FM.

I started using them exclusively, and became accustomed to their accurate, tight, fast and detailed signature and I now find it hard to go back to the X2's.  I still do love them though, and I'm going to keep them. There are still some types of music that they just sound right with!  I'm not sure there's anything else that compares closely to them. Great bass and open soundstage. But just understand, the X2's and the HE400i's are completely different sounding headphones. We all have our tastes and like what we like.  So, enjoy the hunt!

Agree with you my friend. I had a very similar experience with my friends HE400i through another friends iCan desktop amp, as compared to my X2 through the same amp.

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #9,952 of 15,268
What would you guys consider the next step up from the X2s? Third time is suppose to be a charm, but I don't want to risk it.

TH-X00 is said to be a step up in every way except soundstage. I joined the last drop to find it out myself. :)

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #9,953 of 15,268

TH-X00 is said to be a step up in every way except soundstage. I joined the last drop to find it out myself. :)

I have the TH-XOO from the first drop and prefer them over the X2 and the HE-400S, both of which I also own. (and not by a small margin either).

I should add that I listen almost exclusively to jazz though.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #9,954 of 15,268
I have the TH-XOO from the first drop and prefer them over the X2 and the HE-400S, both of which I also own. (and not by a small margin either).

I should add that I listen almost exclusively to jazz though.

Aren't the TH-X00 closed?

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #9,956 of 15,268

Yes, played on low gain, they just seem to have a full yet detailed sound with enough separation to please me. There are others who don't agree me though pertaining to jazz listening. To each their own.

Driven' by Asgard 2

Thanks, I've only read some spread impressions on them so wasn't sure. I'm more into open headphones but I'm glad you're enjoying them 
gs1000.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #9,957 of 15,268
  Oh, okay. I've never used Massdrop, so that's okay; I'll just skip out on it. $99 can get me a Micca Origen, which I've heard are pretty good.

I'll keep an eye out. For now, I'm fine with the SupremeFX III, but I'll look for a better external DAC. Thanks!

Hmm watch out the hype and seeders. If you want a good price you can keep an eye on head-fi's sale zone, maybe you can get a really good 2nd hand item with a sweet price.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #9,958 of 15,268
Howdy,

Fidelios and ifi should pair nicely. I'm using similar combo as my portable setup and like it. The only complain i have is a slight lack of clarity - would say due to fidelio's nature rather than ifi.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #9,959 of 15,268
Howdy,

Fidelios and ifi should pair nicely. I'm using similar combo as my portable setup and like it. The only complain i have is a slight lack of clarity - would say due to fidelio's nature rather than ifi.

Thanks for the Update!

I trying to decide between the Oppo PM2, this(X2) and the HD600, to be used with the iFi Micro exclusively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back