Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 18, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #9,499 of 15,268

Ha, now you've got me wondering too.  There is only 1 way the right earcan can be connected, but damn, there is nothing to see that hints in that way. 

Haaa!!!! Found it. The wire is coming out of the frontside-facing metal(thingy) of the headband on the right earcup. Then it goes neatly to the pivoting screws, where it enters the right can. I had to use extra lighting to see anything. It is very well done. Very very neat.

But still, mysteries remain: The headband connects with two metal bandings to the outer ring with the text on it. One of the two metal bandings of the headband has a normal screw on the inside of the outer ring. While the other metal banding must have a hollow screw (hard to see, but it looks like it) to allow the wire through.  
But the real mystery is: The wire enters the pivoting screw (frontfacing screw on the right earcan) You can see it entering the 'screw' .  BUT: if the wire enters the screw, the screw cant turn. How do you unscrew the screw without tearing the wire apart? And how did they assemble it? 

My guess is: the frontfacing pivoting screws are dummies (i even seem to have read something about it: some1 trying to unscrew them but it didnt work/turn/unscrew). The only real screws in the outer ring are on the backfacing side. If you can remove that screw, then you can twist the can out of the metal ring. The front facing 'screw'  is just a hollow pin, trying hard to look like a screw. Dont let it screw you!

LoL, this is as far as my sunday-mornings-mystery-analysis goes. Hope you enjoyed my little ride in solving the worlds greatest and meaningfull mysteries. :)
basshead.gif

Yes, I see the wiring now. Like you said, the screws with a slot that allow the wire to exit from left can and enter into the right can may very well be a fixed tube pivot. Yeah, It's neat. Thanks & cheers mate.
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #9,501 of 15,268
  Also on the subject of pads, what is everyone doing to keep theirs clean? This is only my second pair of real headphones and my first with velours. I'd like for them to last as long as possible.

Tape "donut" sticky side out... or lint roller if you have that around.  I've never washed my HD650 pads and those are about a decade old at this point.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #9,502 of 15,268
  Look what just arrived..

Impressions on the X2 coming in t-minus 8 hours.

Nice to see they've upgraded their packaging. Mine came in a cheap plastic bag, not that it mattered - as long as they're comfy.
It'll be a stretch 
biggrin.gif
 getting them on, just take your time, and think of it like changing a bicycle tire (baycode even suggests using a tire lever)

Also on the subject of pads, what is everyone doing to keep theirs clean? This is only my second pair of real headphones and my first with velours. I'd like for them to last as long as possible.

Haven't needed to wash the stock pads yet, but for my hm5, I just tossed them in the machine on gentle cycle (used some liquid fabric softener too, just to be decadent
wink_face.gif
). Let 'em air dry, and all was good.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #9,504 of 15,268
Here we are, 8 hours later.

I ordered these for 17USD~ from MP4 Nation on the 4th of January and they arrived on the 18th.  Taiwan -> Finland in 14 days, not too shabby considering they sat in a mailroom here for 4 days - frustrating!  I personally found the original pads quite itchy and incapable of expelling heat, which led me to needing a break every 45 minutes or so.  There are 3 main reasons I chose the HM5s over the "Bass Plus" (eBay) pads:

• HM5 were half the price of the BP ($17 vs $35)
  • HM5 can be used on a wide variety of headphones, while the BP are designed to only fit the X2
  • There is speculation that the BP pads are made in the same factory as the original pads

Fitting the pads to the X2 took me about 30 minutes.  It's quite difficult for one person to do it as you need to hold several places around the stretchable lip while inching it on.  @cute said it best a year ago - it's "like putting a condom on a horse".  I'd like to add that the horse is bat crazy and flipping and flopping all over the place.

I think my ears aren't particularly well tuned, so I'll keep SQ comments to a minimum.  I feel there's a small increase in midbass and small decrease in sub-bass.  I keep thinking the bass doesn't sound quite as tight, but then listen to something like "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Lewis and hear some nice tight bass.  Midrange and treble sound approximately the same, soundstage at least as good as it was before (Amadito Valdés' "La Fiesta de Amadito" used for testing).  I think if any of the above is true, it's to a very small degree because the toe-tapping factor is still at 11.

These pads do have some obvious benefits which should be highlighted.  They hide any peeling aluminium ring issue you may suffer from, as well as making gluegate redundant (neither of these facts is true for the BP).  For me, they also feel more "over-ear" than the original pads, which I always found a tad "on-earish".  I probably have huge ears, but there's somewhat more room in these.  They are also considerably softer, better stitched, less itchy, and I have been wearing them for almost 4 hours without any heat issues.  The few negatives that I've found so far are the obvious covering of the audio jack port and any lint they accumulate is much harder to brush off than with the originals.

Finally, I have come to realize a lot of users don't read further back than the current page/use search, and I found myself repeating the same (seemingly negative) things every day.  It's my nature to try and help people, and my goal was simply for everyone to fully enjoy their headphones.  So, having said that, I will try to be more positive moving forwards.

The X2 can be a fine headphone, and it's about time I start enjoying mine.

The last photo features a very complicated (stuff-it-in) "foam mod" which I did to stop my ear touching the driver cover (this also happened with the originals).  It was done after my mini-review above.

Tagged for interest: @limyueshing and super X2 modder @ThurstonX 

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #9,505 of 15,268
  People claiming this headphone is v-shaped don't know what v-shaped is. The fact they don't have a "honky" midrange doesn't make it such.

I have to agree. I have DT 990 Pros, which I used for a while before getting a pair of X2. I'd gotten used to serious v-shape. Then the X2 came and OMG what is all this depth? There is real midrange, midbass, something that was almost missing from the 990s. There is no way X2 is v-shaped if the 990s define v-shaped. There's a hole in the spectrum with the 990s imo that is very present with X2s.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #9,506 of 15,268
  Here we are, 8 hours later.

I ordered these for 17USD~ from MP4 Nation on the 4th of January and they arrived on the 18th.  Taiwan -> Finland in 14 days, not too shabby considering they sat in a mailroom here for 4 days - frustrating!  I personally found the original pads quite itchy and incapable of expelling heat, which led me to needing a break every 45 minutes or so.  There are 3 main reasons I chose the HM5s over the "Bass Plus" (eBay) pads:

These aren't the angled earpads right?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #9,510 of 15,268
Hello eveyone, I hope you guys can help me out. I previously owned a pair of HD598's but decided that i don't find them fun enough. I do a lot of gaming, watching movies/series and listen to mostly house music etc. So i purchased a pair of X2's, and though i love the sound of them so far, they're just a bit too heavy/big for me. I'm a girl with quite a small head and i'm not so sure i'll keep the X2, because they're definetly on the big/heavy side. Are there any alternatives that offer about the same but aren't as big/heavy? I currently don't have an amp/dac to drive my headphones. Oh the X1's aren't available in the Netherlands by the way (as far as i know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back