Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jan 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #8,747 of 15,268
  Emphasized doesn't mean unnatural IMO, why more specifically do you think the bass is unnatural?

That's a good idea, but I believe you.

Update: I tried my M50's again after listening to these, and wow, the soundstage really sounds small in comparison (strangely in both a good and bad way), but it also sounded like "cold shower" of (fake or not) clarity and more high-mids in comparison. I am beginning to appreciate the sound of my X2's more and more. Wow how much better and real vocals sounds on these.

I tried the X2 with gaming - gunshots sound like pulsating pillows, and female voices are given added depth in the lower register and the soundstage is overall veiled. I won't use them for gaming, but that is a good example of how these headphones are balanced - towards the warmer/darker/lower end of the spectrum. In music, this leads to overpowering bass drums and toms, while the snare and cymbals are veiled. A good use of EQ helped, but it didn't completely remove the veil. I simply think the X2 is too colored for certain music, while it shines for others. It's a good companion to the m50, since they're opposite in soundstage but share some function and then each go in their own direction to be better at certain genres. But I'm not so much looking for a companion, instead moreso of a replacement. Cool that the pad adjustment worked for you. Maybe there's something to it..

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #8,748 of 15,268
  I tried the X2 with gaming - gunshots sound like pulsating pillows, and female voices are given added depth in the lower register and the soundstage is overall veiled. I won't use them for gaming, but that is a good example of how these headphones are balanced - towards the warmer/darker/lower end of the spectrum. In music, this leads to overpowering bass drums and toms, while the snare and cymbals are veiled. A good use of EQ helped, but it didn't completely remove the veil. I simply think the X2 is too colored for certain music, while it shines for others. It's a good companion to the m50, since they're opposite in soundstage but share some function and then each go in their own direction to be better at certain genres. But I'm not so much looking for a companion, instead moreso of a replacement. Cool that the pad adjustment worked for you. Maybe there's something to it..

This is a pretty accurate description of how my 2nd pair sounded.  1st and 3rd pairs sound quite like each other, and very different to the muddy 2nd pair.  IMO I think something is going on with the pads and you can make the same pair of X2s sound quite different with different (even different official) pads.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #8,749 of 15,268
The bass on these babies are fantastic, they've been burned in for about 50 hours and the bass is tight and clean. It slams hard if the songs allows it.
In some songs I miss the bass, and in others its there big time. It just shows that these are balanced and the bass is there when it's time and place for it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #8,751 of 15,268
the sound quality is 70% all about your source , is not all about the headphones like almost all the people think, so if u dont like the x2 or a another headphone is because u have a ****ty device/ dac/ amp and low bit files

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #8,753 of 15,268
yes maybe not 70% but for sure 50% is the source and i mean it , the source( dac/amp) and the files is very very important , is the same thing like in photography world , 60% is the lens that matters

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #8,754 of 15,268
  yes maybe not 70% but for sure 50% is the source and i mean it , the source( dac/amp) and the files is very very important , is the same thing like in photography world , 60% is the lens that matters

X2's sound pretty similar from different sources. I've tried them through my iPod, Fiio E7, Apogee Duet and Lyr 2 with no big differences. I believe the headphone is the biggest factor in sound quality, by a mile. This assuming there isn't anything broken in the chain.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #8,757 of 15,268
I have an annoying problem with my almost-faultless X2, maybe someone can help - so I won't have to play the replacement lottery.

the right cup does not seal perfectly. as a result
1) when I have the headphone on my head the right side feels noticeably loose. it's annoying and ruins immersion
2) when I walk around with these headphones on a shrill noise can sometimes be heard from air being forced in and out of the cup. only on the right side, of course.

is there anything I can do? Maybe open the cup and tighten something? I'm not sure what controls how stiff the headphone cup's vertical swivel is, I think tightening it will fix this problem. it's not the 'fake screws' on the plastic ring that says "high definition fidelio x2 etc.". these 'screws' can't actually be tightened (because they probably aren't screws)

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #8,758 of 15,268

When i'm walking around, there are also some crackling soises. It comes from the elastic headband. Cause these cans are somewhat heavy and when i walk around, they just 'bounce' up and down a little bit. Dont know how to solve this. But then again, these cans are not meant for walking around. A minor inconvenience with this terrific HP. Love it!! 

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #8,759 of 15,268
Somebody else liking them so much and have been thinking about using then in public although looking like a fool?

Not as primary portables, but rather not taking them of just because you have to go but some food and come back.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #8,760 of 15,268
Hey,
Can anyone recommend a good quality shorter cable from experience preferably, lots of choice on the likes of Amazon, not looking to spend a fortune but equally would like something as good as the stock cable but shorter, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back