Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 16, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #7,441 of 15,268
  That's good to hear, I know some people who do exactly that, and it's a bit frustrating.

Like I did with the HRM-7's.  The MTM220's soiunded good, but then one user who recommended them, also recommended the PIoneers.  Then I read the thread, it sounded good, I got them... didn't sound good :frowning2:....

A lot of people's ears actually, but that was kinda my point. Once you get to this tier in headphones, subjective direct comparisons is the best way to find your headphone. Everyones opinion will be heavily influenced by the gear used, music they listen too and the fact that human ears can literally perceive audio frequencies differently from other people.

I wonder if a lot of the comparison issues come from how "good" their "hearing"; is.

There are a lot of people who have killed some of their hearing, and at what ranges Id on't know....  It seems that if you listen to a lot of bass you could hurt your ears a lot, but I weould assume kill the lower frequencies, while a lot of bright listening would kill higher range?  I'm not sure about this, just what I figured.

Either way, it would be interesting to get more info on why differences occur, besides preferences in music.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #7,442 of 15,268
After reading Tyll's review @ Innerfidelity overnight I rushed to amazon's site & put the X2's in my shopping cart 59 seconds before the 3 AM Deal of the Day deadline. I then mulled it over for about 40 minutes before finally making the purchase. I certainly didn't need another set but I'm a sucker for good bang-for-the-buck headphones that punch above their weight. Using my Discover card for payment I earned 5% Rewards which will eat most of the shipping cost. I hope the X2's mate well with my iFi ICAN Micro amp & Parasound ZDac. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #7,444 of 15,268
  After reading Tyll's review @ Innerfidelity overnight I rushed to amazon's site & put the X2's in my shopping cart 59 seconds before the 3 AM Deal of the Day deadline. I then mulled it over for about 40 minutes before finally making the purchase. I certainly didn't need another set but I'm a sucker for good bang-for-the-buck headphones that punch above their weight. Using my Discover card for payment I earned 5% Rewards which will eat most of the shipping cost. I hope the X2's mate well with my iFi ICAN Micro amp & Parasound ZDac. 

How did you first make it within a minute, and then mull it over for 40 mins...?  Price should have changed... Unless you bought it and thought about cancelling for 40 mins...?

Nice save though, 59 seconds HAHA....

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #7,445 of 15,268
Waiting for a comparison against HE400S.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #7,446 of 15,268

How did you first make it within a minute, and then mull it over for 40 mins...?  Price should have changed... Unless you bought it and thought about cancelling for 40 mins...?

Nice save though, 59 seconds HAHA....

I never closed the page but I suppose I was taking a gamble that the sale price would still be in effect - however, when I clicked to purchase and reviewed the order the price was still $199.99 (of course I had the option of canceling post-purchase if the price had gone back to normal) ... my online shopping experience is that if you get the item in the shopping cart to beat the deadline and the sale price is still shown you have a reasonable amount of time to complete the transaction (but your MMV). This was kinda like hitting a game-winning home run in the bottom of the ninth inning (I hope the X2 packs a sonic wallop).

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #7,449 of 15,268
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #7,450 of 15,268
Okay okay, so I just received my X2's in the post (literally 10 mins ago) and I LOVE THEM. I ordered them here in the UK from the sketchiest looking site electromania.co.uk, took a week for them to ship (was afraid they would never come) but finally here. Just as the first song ended, I took my recently purchased HD650's put them back in their box and have scheduled a return there is no way the HD650's could justify costing £60 more, let alone being the same price. Maybe that's just me but the HD650's are so dull in comparison

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #7,451 of 15,268
Okay okay, so I just received my X2's in the post (literally 10 mins ago) and I LOVE THEM. I ordered them here in the UK from the sketchiest looking site electromania.co.uk, took a week for them to ship (was afraid they would never come) but finally here. Just as the first song ended, I took my recently purchased HD650's put them back in their box and have scheduled a return there is no way the HD650's could justify costing £60 more, let alone being the same price. Maybe that's just me but the HD650's are so dull in comparison

This story terrifies me. My well used pair of HD650s may end-up on eBay if this holds-up on my end.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #7,452 of 15,268
This story terrifies me. My well used pair of HD650s may end-up on eBay if this holds-up on my end.

I just sold my X2 since I have a HD650 since 2 weeks..The X2 sure is a impressive fun headphone but personally I like the HD650 (with good amp) mids and treble much better, especially for long time listening..  both are very good headphones, don't worry
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #7,453 of 15,268

I just sold my X2 since I have a HD650 since 2 weeks..The X2 sure is a impressive fun headphone but personally I like the HD650 (with good amp) mids and treble much better, especially for long time listening..  both are very good headphones, don't worry
wink_face.gif

True. Mids and treble of HD650 is better than X2, but i prefer electronic music with complex songs so i go with the X2 because of its fully and lively overall sound.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #7,454 of 15,268
Hey all,

I recently acquired the X2s and want to share the impressions that i had. Note this is my first decent headphone pair. The best one i had was an old plantronics 7.1 closed back with its own soundcard (think it was about 50 euros). Also i'm not an audiophile and i don't know all the jargon concerning audio.

''Fidelio x2s sound great off the bat on any portable device (mobile, laptop)''
So after plugging this in in my htc one m7 and then trying it out on my 400 euro laptop, i couldnt say that they sounded great off the bat. I listened to FLAC's off both of the devices and they sounded a bit better than the 320kbps ones from spotify. However in a lot of songs on spotifiy(yes 320kbps was turned on) whenever the songs have a quiet moment i can hear some background hiss, i hear this in a bit more that half of the songs i tried.

And somehow the sound quality seems to be slightly off, like it's not as clear as i want it to be. Its worse on my laptop (it must have a **** soundcard and with all the computing going on i would expectthis) than on my phone. The old plantronics with its own soundcard sounded better on the first try than these.  I'm not saying its terrible, its just that i expected it to sound GREAT right off the bat, after reading all those hyped up reviews. Maybe they meant that its ''able to run'' on portable devices instead of ''sound good/great right off the bat''

The bass also sounds a little off sometimes like its not extending enough and sometimes sounds a little grainy and distorted. But i think that has something to do with the one song i listened to. The bass for movies is great though but again the sound quality for example on the star wars trailer on youtube, is not optimal and i know these headphones must be able to perform better with a DAC and amp and give me a cleaner sound. The vocals and the soundstage are amazing on these, i expected nothing less :). I was going to get the mixamp(acts as a DAC) with the magni 2 for use with the ps4 as i will be using these headphones mainly for gaming and movies. MAybe some thoughts on mixamp with surround processing vs schiit modi for ps4? 

Im hoping that an external dac will solve at least the hissing and that an amp could do something about the SQ. Because im a bit scared. If this is what a 250 euro low impedance headphone gives me, than i wouldnt wanna know how the 598s would have sounded. Any fi'ers here with the same issues? Again im not here trying to bash on these phones but i honestly dont know how people were labeling it as ''great'' when played from a laptop or mobile device. 

Sorry for my jittery English and not so fluent transition of the sentences.

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #7,455 of 15,268

True. Mids and treble of HD650 is better than X2, but i prefer electronic music with complex songs so i go with the X2 because of its fully and lively overall sound.
bigsmile_face.gif

That's actually one of the reasons I'm getting an X2 again to complement my HD650.  Will be using them for my ambient and symphony music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back