Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5,206 of 15,268
Hi I have a couple questions. Will there be a noticable difference between powering the X2 from a FiiO E10K and a O2 Amp? (...)

I've changed from E10K to Magni2U. I think O2 will be very similar to M2U. The sound will be more tight, more airy, more detail and punch. Mids will be the same. 
On E10K, X2's bass seems loose, bloated and impactful -- not always a good thing. Oh, and the imaging is very narrow. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,208 of 15,268

I've changed from E10K to Magni2U. I think O2 will be very similar to M2U. The sound will be more tight, more airy, more detail and punch. Mids will be the same. 
On E10K, X2's bass seems loose, bloated and impactful -- not always a good thing. Oh, and the imaging is very narrow. 

Thanks for your comparison! It helped... but like all things headphone related I set myself a budget of 130 max and now I'm considering getting an Asgard 2... Sigh :)

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #5,209 of 15,268
So, I've had my x2s for about 2 weeks now. I like them, love the sound they produce (the sound signature is exactly what I was looking for), but I don't love them. There's something about them that makes one of my ears slightly hurt, just a little, but I've been gaming a lot this week (since I'm on vacation) and it starts to bother me after 2-3 hours. I'm not sure if it's the more intense clamp (as opposed to my old AKG K702), or if it's something else and I'm just not sure how to describe it -- I'm still pretty new to the headphone game.

What would your opinions be? Is there a way to lessen the clamp (if that's what it is)? I've got roughly another week or so to send 'em back to Amazon.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,210 of 15,268
  So, I've had my x2s for about 2 weeks now. I like them, love the sound they produce (the sound signature is exactly what I was looking for), but I don't love them. There's something about them that makes one of my ears slightly hurt, just a little, but I've been gaming a lot this week (since I'm on vacation) and it starts to bother me after 2-3 hours. I'm not sure if it's the more intense clamp (as opposed to my old AKG K702), or if it's something else and I'm just not sure how to describe it -- I'm still pretty new to the headphone game.

What would your opinions be? Is there a way to lessen the clamp (if that's what it is)? I've got roughly another week or so to send 'em back to Amazon.

The clamping force on the X2 is quite easily adjusted by grabbing both sides near the rivets and pulling them outward.  It may seem a bit crude but it works.  The metal bars and headband will be able to take the stress.  Pushing them inward can also be done to increase the clamping force.  Love these X2 cans!

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,213 of 15,268
Ipsum amet ultricies eget sit viverra libero congue elit vitae maecenas tortor viverra porta viverra vehicula lectus sed lectus amet. Consectetur et eget donec maecenas tortor lacinia mollis consectetur dolor lorem lacinia consectetur diam consectetur ipsum. Arcu ac consectetur lorem viverra lorem dolor tincidunt amet libero sit ligula consectetur congue ipsum consectetur viverra lectus. Amet et mollis amet ut ante lorem adipiscing amet lacinia sit dolor ut augue libero vehicula ut congue. Diam diam quam lacinia et sed mauris consectetur lacinia nam donec porta nec amet lorem consectetur quam ac amet congue non amet consectetur augue.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #5,214 of 15,268
Apologize if my descriptions aren't exactly accurate, but anyway. ..

Earlier, my initial impressions was that the headphones made everything saturated in the low end and that it was too 'bass heavy' or punchy especially for songs with vocals mixed with synthetic sounds, such as Tove Lo's album or Zedd. Even Walk the Moon the guitars just blur the vocals. Bruno Mars bass made it difficult to appreciate his emotion as he cries about catching a grenade. It made the vocals difficult to appreciate with everything being slurred together, and thick. Everything was "in your face" and overwhelming. I like listening to my music where you can distinctly separate out the different "lines". I want my instruments separate from the voices, like you're at a concert and no one is artifically mixing the two. I decided not to return them because I was lazy to ship them back, and there were some genre of music that these headphones shined and brought to life compared to my other headphones - most pop where the vocals don't matter so much (nicki minaj). They're also more comfortable than anything I have. 

So I pulled out my old mp3 player, the cowon iaudio x5, and these X2s sound more to my preference compared to my computer source (which I already am using EQ to bring down the bass). It makes the voices sound more distinct and stand out from the rest of the background music and I can appreciate the emotions as they sing. I think the iaudio x5 is known for rolling off at the lower end, and for its warm mids. However, something that is unfortunate with the iaudio x5 is that the headstage is more narrow .

What I am curious about is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Sound signature like the iaudio x5 in an external DAC/AMP for my computer? without losing the soundstage of these headphones offer.

Thanks!

A better amp/dac.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #5,215 of 15,268

The clamping force on the X2 is quite easily adjusted by grabbing both sides near the rivets and pulling them outward.  It may seem a bit crude but it works.  The metal bars and headband will be able to take the stress.  Pushing them inward can also be done to increase the clamping force.  Love these X2 cans!

The clamp really got to me after a week or 2, but I bent it a little (don't overdo it) and now they are really comfy with no pressure points on the cheeks.

Clamp gave me headphones too just pull them apart every day and they'll loosen up over time.

Okay, so I did this. I placed it around the base of my joystick (Saitek x55) for the last 2 days/nights and it did the trick, sorta. I realized that it wasn't an external discomfort, but rather a slight pressure on the inside of my left ear (honestly couldn't tell before). It's almost like a twinge, and it only happens occasionally. Seems to always be on the same songs that it starts to bother me. If I take them off for 10-15 minutes, and then start listening again, then it's fine, until that specific sound plays and then it starts to annoy me.

I really have no idea how to explain it, but it feels the same regardless of volume setting, on both my phone (S6) and on my SB-Z on my PC. Using the control module that came with the SB-Z sound card.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #5,216 of 15,268
Diam tincidunt et ultricies et libero enim libero sit donec dolor viverra. Sit nec libero dolor nec et libero lectus ut libero lorem nam porta mauris. Ipsum ligula donec diam adipiscing dolor tincidunt vitae donec hendrerit egestas maecenas mollis consectetur dolor sed quam mauris diam libero ipsum ligula sit. Mollis eget ipsum et adipiscing diam enim eget congue ut sed egestas lectus praesent enim tincidunt ut consectetur congue consectetur. Diam a lorem consectetur maecenas enim ante donec adipiscing congue et vehicula adipiscing ipsum. Ut nec lorem ante congue consectetur sit congue adipiscing nam ac enim lacinia et sit amet a diam vitae libero vitae hendrerit eget mattis. Elit ut lacinia lectus ut ligula tincidunt porta et ac.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #5,217 of 15,268
  Apologize if my descriptions aren't exactly accurate, but anyway. ..

Earlier, my initial impressions was that the headphones made everything saturated in the low end and that it was too 'bass heavy' or punchy especially for songs with vocals mixed with synthetic sounds, such as Tove Lo's album or Zedd. Even Walk the Moon the guitars just blur the vocals. Bruno Mars bass made it difficult to appreciate his emotion as he cries about catching a grenade. It made the vocals difficult to appreciate with everything being slurred together, and thick. Everything was "in your face" and overwhelming. I like listening to my music where you can distinctly separate out the different "lines". I want my instruments separate from the voices, like you're at a concert and no one is artifically mixing the two. I decided not to return them because I was lazy to ship them back, and there were some genre of music that these headphones shined and brought to life compared to my other headphones - most pop where the vocals don't matter so much (nicki minaj). They're also more comfortable than anything I have. 

So I pulled out my old mp3 player, the cowon iaudio x5, and these X2s sound more to my preference compared to my computer source (which I already am using EQ to bring down the bass). It makes the voices sound more distinct and stand out from the rest of the background music and I can appreciate the emotions as they sing. I think the iaudio x5 is known for rolling off at the lower end, and for its warm mids. However, something that is unfortunate with the iaudio x5 is that the headstage is more narrow .

What I am curious about is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Sound signature like the iaudio x5 in an external DAC/AMP for my computer? without losing the soundstage of these headphones offer.

Thanks!

I don't what other cans you have but from what you listed here I have what you have. The X2, Rockboxed X5, Fiio E12 and Q701. I will be returning the X2 for the same reason you described. The X2 is not a neutral headphone. It emphasizes the low end that sometimes ends up in the way of the mids. The Q701 is a more neutral of the two, has bass that is tight and hits lower but feels light, which I find can be easily adjusted using my rockboxed X5. Instrument separation and detail retrieval is excellent. The Q701 sounds harsh on poor recording, so garbage in garbage out here. The X2 is a great can for someone looking for all rounder, with a smooth enjoyable sound, and a slight boost in bass response. I prefer the Q701 over the X2 but I will be returning the Q701 as well in order to move up the AKG chain. Next up will be the AKG K712.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,218 of 15,268
I totally agree that the X2 is less balanced and more forgiving, thus making it a more of an all-rounder. Just like the M50, it's an all-rounder that's fantastic with electronic music.

I got the X2 to give more oomph to the songs that really need bass, and it has exceeded my expectation. It also has such a deep soundstage and pleasant mids. So now I'm listening to it more than my beloved Q701! But at least the Q701 is better with a number of genres^^.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #5,219 of 15,268
I don't what other cans you have but from what you listed here I have what you have. The X2, Rockboxed X5, Fiio E12 and Q701. I will be returning the X2 for the same reason you described. The X2 is not a neutral headphone. It emphasizes the low end that sometimes ends up in the way of the mids. The Q701 is a more neutral of the two, has bass that is tight and hits lower but feels light, which I find can be easily adjusted using my rockboxed X5. Instrument separation and detail retrieval is excellent. The Q701 sounds harsh on poor recording, so garbage in garbage out here. The X2 is a great can for someone looking for all rounder, with a smooth enjoyable sound, and a slight boost in bass response. I prefer the Q701 over the X2 but I will be returning the Q701 as well in order to move up the AKG chain. Next up will be the AKG K712.

The Q701's may or may not be more neutral but I find the X2's to sound more natural (and more enjoyable) to my ears .

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #5,220 of 15,268
My big ears reflect a lot of treble, so the Q701's treble forwardness sounds pretty natural to me. Hmm..do you think the 8khz recession is part of what makes the X2 sound more natural?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back