Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 2, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4,396 of 15,268
Thanks for the responses, the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the treble at this point. Oh well better to find out now vs after buying them. Reason I'm comparing to hd598 is because they're both open phones that can sound great out of an iPhone for doing work around the house. Probably won't see much desktop use with them and I have a portable amp but it's just a pain to rubber band to my phone and hides the screen I need

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #4,397 of 15,268
Thanks for the responses, the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the treble at this point. Oh well better to find out now vs after buying them. Reason I'm comparing to hd598 is because they're both open phones that can sound great out of an iPhone for doing work around the house. Probably won't see much desktop use with them and I have a portable amp but it's just a pain to rubber band to my phone and hides the screen I need

IMHO too big to wear while working around the house. I have the HD598s and the X2s and the 598s would be a better choice for moving around.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #4,398 of 15,268
Difference being an AKG K7XX/K712 has a leather strip vs the X2's padded headband. Both have self-adjusting headbands though. Some other AKG headphones have bumps on their headband, which would be the other difference. The X2's padding a little more comfortable for me personally. I never develop a hotspot with the X2, but would eventually with a K7XX/K712.

I think the x2 is one of the more comfy phones out there on the market, I have heard that some peoople find the velour pads on them itchy I personally think they are great. 
Also I hated the sound at first but once they burned in they are fantastic, they do improve a lot with time 

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #4,399 of 15,268
  Got mine a couple of hours ago.  Playing spotify premium through Fiio E10k

My first open headphones... first full-sized.

I don't know what to say really.

I'm sitting through songs that I never heard till the end before.. ever.  And time is passing quickly. But I'll elaborate more later though.

P.S.  About the E10K pairing, I did experience the small headaches someone mentioned here before, but they weren't the highs causing them in my case. Bassier songs hurt me more for some reason.  Luckily, the whole headache disappeared after 10 minutes.  I don't know know if they will return at the beginning of another session.  I think my brain is just adjusting to the sound.

Try using X2 on E10K's direct out :wink:

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #4,400 of 15,268
Just got X2 after many years of owning HD590.
They are definitely much heavier, not as comfortable. Bass and treble seems over exaggerated. Smoothness and details is not there as in HD590.
I will probably return them and give HD600 a try. I've read a lot about how comfortable they are, but that's not what I am experiencing so far.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #4,401 of 15,268
They are definitely much heavier, not as comfortable. Bass and treble seems over exaggerated. Smoothness and details is not there as in HD590.
I will probably return them and give HD600 a try. I've read a lot about how comfortable they are, but that's not what I am experiencing so far.

You haven't stated how long you've had your X2s?  As many here have noted these cans need a considerable bit of burn-in.  Give 'em some time and I think you may change your mind.  I'm a long time HD540 owner and at first I didn't care for the X2 either.  The pads were itchy, clamping force too strong, the extra long fabric cord is funky & microphonic and the SQ wasn't that impressive right out of the box but I've since come to love these HPs after sufficient burn-in.  The bass will settle in and becomes very appealing.  I like to add some EQ using Foobar and the sonic result is sublime.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,402 of 15,268

Try using X2 on E10K's direct out :wink:

Ohhh.. I haven't tried that.  It never occured to me, actually. I thought that was just for speakers or to use another amp. I will give it a try soon.

Apparently, we have the same set-up.  Do you use the line-out as your default setting? What's the perceived benefit compared to the amped output?  

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #4,403 of 15,268
Clamping seems to be the main complain with these. I'm not getting it. My two cups don't even touch each other.

My main point of uncomfortability is the headband. The X1's felt a bit more plush on the bottom. The X2's feels like the rubber elastic is on the bottom of the pad that touches the head, while the padded part is up top.

Other than that, I love them.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4,404 of 15,268
  Clamping seems to be the main complain with these. I'm not getting it. My two cups don't even touch each other.

My main point of uncomfortability is the headband. The X1's felt a bit more plush on the bottom. The X2's feels like the rubber elastic is on the bottom of the pad that touches the head, while the padded part is up top.

Other than that, I love them.

Agree 100% on the clamping. That was my main concern, as a bigger guy with a big head, and glasses. But let me tell you, these are a dream. Granted, I have had them less then 24 hours, but I have had them on for 3 hours straight this morning at work. They feel like pillows on the side of my head. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4,405 of 15,268

I got X2 for 20days, listened to them extensively before returning.

After a bit of use the clamping force is less pronounced and they are quite confortable. But not AS confortable as HD600/HD650, that's for sure!

Look down for other answers/opinions of mine about these cans.

You haven't stated how long you've had your X2s?  As many here have noted these cans need a considerable bit of burn-in.  Give 'em some time and I think you may change your mind.  I'm a long time HD540 owner and at first I didn't care for the X2 either.  The pads were itchy, clamping force too strong, the extra long fabric cord is funky & microphonic and the SQ wasn't that impressive right out of the box but I've since come to love these HPs after sufficient burn-in.  The bass will settle in and becomes very appealing.  I like to add some EQ using Foobar and the sonic result is sublime.

I did experience a bit of driver burn-in within the first ~10-20hours or so, after that I got only brain-in; I say that because I burned them for around 250hours before returning and before 200hours I just listened them for  something like 10mins per times, then some burn-in, then hearing them again, etc and to me they sounded all the time THE SAME as when they had ~20hours of use.

After around 200hours of burn-in I listened extensively to them with many different music genres, different quality of mastering and different source materials.
After a while my brain was settled (brain-in) and I honestly enjoyed them more compared to the beginning, but that was only cause of brain burn-in, not driver burn-in like many are saying!

The main sonic quality of these cans is in the bass region. The sub-bass is present. The bass is present. The medium bass (male voices) is present.
The sub-bass is a bit too much in quantity for a neutral can, so this isn't a neutral can, whatever people says.
The bass and the medium bass is really top notch, male vocals are really well presented and engaging, on pair with HD600/HD650.

The main minus of these cans is in the medium-high frequencies (female voices). Female voices are quite thin and recessed and sometimes just weird sounding, not for sure natural/neutral and well presented. Compared to HD600/HD650 here is the biggest difference: Sennheiser just defeat these X2, there isn't really too much to argue about this if you compare both matching volume.

The highs region isn't that bad to me, maybe not the top quality of this cans but not bad at all, I could easily live with it if I had too, without many complaints!

The soundstage presentation (depth and width) is quite different from HD600/HD650 but I think this is only a factor of personal preference here. HD600/HD650 has a sort of intimate and more forward presentation where vocals are taller compared to X2. This one has a more distant presentation like if you were sitting in back raws at a concert but the soundstage seem to me more large in comparison.

That said, I don't mind to put X2 in the same league of HD600/HD650 because those for me are above, without a doubt.
I 'm saying this in a HIFI point of view, where high-fidelity means neutral and natural and those X2 are not, mainly in the sub-bass and the female vocals areas.

I could easily suggest these cans to someone which likes more "fun" headphones, to those looking for a good videogame/movie pair of cans and to those with medium budget which don't mind to buy an headphone amplifier later.

A good pair of headphone for sure, but not a must-have as many says, to me!

:)

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,406 of 15,268

Apparently, we have the same set-up.  Do you use the line-out as your default setting? What's the perceived benefit compared to the amped output?  

Try it and tell me what you hear. I don't want to make any placebo effect or influence on your listening. 
Let's say that they sounds a little different 

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,407 of 15,268

I got X2 for 20days, listened to them extensively before returning.

After a bit of use the clamping force is less pronounced and they are quite confortable. But not AS confortable as HD600/HD650, that's for sure!

Oh, maybe i should give them another try then!
My main issues was the clamping force (got a rather large head), which gave me a headache after a few hours.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #4,408 of 15,268
Just got my pair of X2s.  Initial impressions:  I like what I hear!

The best way I can describe the sound is balanced, like every frequency range is emphasized (to paraphrase a bit from the Innerfidelity review).  And the bass is excellent compared to my HD598s, but also my memory of various headphones I've listened to.  Not too much and not bloated.

Good job Philips.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #4,409 of 15,268

I've had them for a couple of days. Left them to burn in for a while.
I understand that the bass might even out a little, but after listening to B&W test CD and comparing to the old HD590, they don't even come close in detail, imaging and smoothness. Yes, they sound much fuller, like the EQ has been bumped up, but that doesn't make them sound any more pleasing to me. 
For example, I listened to Allan Taylor - Colour to the moon. With HD590 the guitar strings and the ambient sounds came alive, which give you the feeling that you are at the concert. None of that is happening with X2. HD590s are so light and open that I barely even feel them on my head. X2 are heavy with a lot of pressure on top of my head. Feels like the cans don't go down far enough.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #4,410 of 15,268

Try it and tell me what you hear. I don't want to make any placebo effect or influence on your listening. 
Let's say that they sounds a little different 

I tried for a little bit today. I'll keep using the amped output for now and withhold my judgement until I got satisfactory burn in, then I'll try comparing both more carefully.

I only noticed the obvious lack of power.. Actually, it was sufficient. listenable with almost 90% of the macbook volume.  With the amp, I'm getting enough power with the knob between just 1 and 2! Kind of feels nice knowing I have all that juice, being that it's my first amp and all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back