Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 24, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #4,306 of 15,268
Alright, I emailed Woox Hongkong a few days ago about the issues with the dye. Yesterday, I got a detailed response from them (in Dutch). I have translated the answer, so the grammar might not be perfect:

"The amount of dyes used in the Fidelio X2 pads is of such a small amount that it can not be toxic for humans, this according to European regulation. The document I send you with the specific dye used is a general document, and as you can see the amount of dye used is very low. However, due to the "black" styling of the pads, the dye can give a slight mark on an object. This is due to water and oils that get into the pads. If there is dye on an object, you can wash it off using standard washing stuff ("middelen" in Dutch). You could also wash out the oils in the pads by washing them with a little bit of washing powder for colored washes. 

Because this is not a production issue, we will not replace the pads, as they pose absolutely no risk to humans. Every black velour earpad on the market will leak a bit of dye (when in contact with oil). This is absolutely normal. However, due to customer request, we will make new pads available that are grey colored for approximate 25 euros, they will be available in Q3, and will have grey colored dye instead of black. They will be (only, but in Dutch it doesn't mean it isn't going to be available elsewhere) available in the Philips Store in the Netherlands."

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #4,307 of 15,268
So there will finally be replacement pads to buy.

Also, it's really time some crafty people start making 3rd party pads for the X2 
etysmile.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4,308 of 15,268
Nice work.  I hope everyone is successful in cleaning anything that got stained by these by simply washing the surface.  I would disagree that it is not a production issue,as I have owned many headphones with black velour pads, and none of them ever stained anything.  Hopefully this will ease concerns, and cleaning is as simple as Woox says.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4,309 of 15,268
Who is Woox?  Are they the manufacturer for Philips?

And I agree - while not necessarily a health concern, I've owned many velour headphone pads and none of them have ever stained anything.

Regardless, sounds like a simple washing of the pads should remove 99% of any excess that may come out.

Speaking of removing the pads, how do you remove them on the X2?

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4,310 of 15,268
Just pull. They come off along with an hard ring of plastic. Is actually a much better and safer system than the usual.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,313 of 15,268
  Who is Woox?  Are they the manufacturer for Philips?

And I agree - while not necessarily a health concern, I've owned many velour headphone pads and none of them have ever stained anything.

Regardless, sounds like a simple washing of the pads should remove 99% of any excess that may come out.

Speaking of removing the pads, how do you remove them on the X2?

Woox is the Hong Kong  company Philips subcontracted the manufacture of their (at least some models)  headphones too.  The Philips name is used as Woox is a licensee of Philips.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,315 of 15,268
  Alright, I emailed Woox Hongkong a few days ago about the issues with the dye. Yesterday, I got a detailed response from them (in Dutch). I have translated the answer, so the grammar might not be perfect:

"The amount of dyes used in the Fidelio X2 pads is of such a small amount that it can not be toxic for humans, this according to European regulation. The document I send you with the specific dye used is a general document, and as you can see the amount of dye used is very low. However, due to the "black" styling of the pads, the dye can give a slight mark on an object. This is due to water and oils that get into the pads. If there is dye on an object, you can wash it off using standard washing stuff ("middelen" in Dutch). You could also wash out the oils in the pads by washing them with a little bit of washing powder for colored washes. 

Because this is not a production issue, we will not replace the pads, as they pose absolutely no risk to humans. Every black velour earpad on the market will leak a bit of dye (when in contact with oil). This is absolutely normal. However, due to customer request, we will make new pads available that are grey colored for approximate 25 euros, they will be available in Q3, and will have grey colored dye instead of black. They will be (only, but in Dutch it doesn't mean it isn't going to be available elsewhere) available in the Philips Store in the Netherlands."

Thanks so much. Got in contact with Philips (several times) and they insist on me sending back my headphones so they can research it etc and then either send me new ones or the old ones back. Just wanted some new pads.. Don't want to be without them for so long so I'm just going to wash them in the sink with some washing powder. And then try to get the last spots of my desk with some regular washing stuff. Did it with some nail polish remover before on some stains on the desk, and it worked, but it left a slight colour difference :frowning2:

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,316 of 15,268

Thanks so much. Got in contact with Philips (several times) and they insist on me sending back my headphones so they can research it etc and then either send me new ones or the old ones back. Just wanted some new pads.. Don't want to be without them for so long so I'm just going to wash them in the sink with some washing powder. And then try to get the last spots of my desk with some regular washing stuff. Did it with some nail polish remover before on some stains on the desk, and it worked, but it left a slight colour difference :frowning2:

In a situation where a name (Philips in this case) is just being licensed out to another OEM manufacturer, Philips may not know a lot about the headphones, particularly the manufacturing end, and so would request a return so they could contact the subcontractor to try to figure it out.   It was fortunate in this case tha ta poster was able to identify and contact, and even better, get a meaningful response from the actual manufacturer.  In many cases, you cant.

Nail polish remover is acetone, a good solvent that likely could remove a lot of the stain, but as you say, you risk damage to other surfaces.  I would try some rather concentrated dish or auto soap before using acetone, less likely to damage a finish, may or may not be as good at removing the dye.  Another relatively safe alternative is rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) kif you have some.  Less likely to damage suraces than acetone.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #4,317 of 15,268
How can you tell if the pads leak dye or not? I just got these cans today... So should I wash the pads with water + detergent before they start accumulating body oil?

That aside, my initial impression is positive - they sound good even when unamped. So far, my main complaint is comfort. I don't like the clamping pressure, and my ears hurt after a while. Don't think I can wear these cans all day.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,318 of 15,268
  How can you tell if the pads leak dye or not? I just got these cans today... So should I wash the pads with water + detergent before they start accumulating body oil?

That aside, my initial impression is positive - they sound good even when unamped. So far, my main complaint is comfort. I don't like the clamping pressure, and my ears hurt after a while. Don't think I can wear these cans all day.

My advice is to just continue to use them and see what happens.  The clamping pressure should ease up, and that will also give you some time to see if you have a dye issue.  If nothing is leeching out, I would let it alone until / if it does.  Others with more experience might be able to give you som advice as to how to lessen the clamp, although it should ease by itself over time.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #4,319 of 15,268
  In a situation where a name (Philips in this case) is just being licensed out to another OEM manufacturer, Philips may not know a lot about the headphones, particularly the manufacturing end, and so would request a return so they could contact the subcontractor to try to figure it out.   It was fortunate in this case tha ta poster was able to identify and contact, and even better, get a meaningful response from the actual manufacturer.  In many cases, you cant.

Nail polish remover is acetone, a good solvent that likely could remove a lot of the stain, but as you say, you risk damage to other surfaces.  I would try some rather concentrated dish or auto soap before using acetone, less likely to damage a finish, may or may not be as good at removing the dye.

Yes this is true. I tried the last spots on my desk with some dishwasher soap and the "rough"side of a sponge and that worked too. *facepalm*
Just soaked and washed the pads in the sink with some laundry detergent (colour)

Definitely some dye coming off. Hopefully not any more on my desk after this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back