Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,576 of 15,268
Originally Posted by ZorgDK /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I will try the X1's. The clamp was too much for me on the X2's, I asume it's the same on the X1's  - Can that be remedied by bending the headband - Have anyone tried?

There have been many posts about stretching the X2/X1's headband.  >.<

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,577 of 15,268
I started to get worried about imbalances now. I ordered mine and its gonna be sent to me overseas and there is no way to send it back if it has any problem. Now ZorgDK got me worried about the issues i wanted avoid the most; brightness, recessed midrange and now add imbalance to those.
anyway, i havent seen anyone compare these to the hifiman he-400!

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #1,578 of 15,268
There have been many posts about stretching the X2/X1's headband.  >.<

Sorry :frowning2: will look.

I started to get worried about imbalances now. I ordered mine and its gonna be sent to me overseas and there is no way to send it back if it has any problem. Now ZorgDK got me worried about the issues i wanted avoid the most; brightness, recessed midrange and now add imbalance to those.

Well, don't let my impressions spoil your expectations, we all hear differently and have different gear.
I had the he400 on loan at one point. From what remember I thought it sounded good, but a little boxed in sound, nice bass. I didnt think the sound was quite good enough to warrant the weight and limited comfort. I would rather have the x2 than the he400. Interestingly, i think the x2s sound a little like a dynamic version of the he6 which i just sold. The tuning is similar.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,579 of 15,268
I started to get worried about imbalances now. I ordered mine and its gonna be sent to me overseas and there is no way to send it back if it has any problem. Now @ZorgDK got me worried about the issues i wanted avoid the most; brightness, recessed midrange and now add imbalance to those.

The X2's don't have a recessed midrange, they aren't bright (compared to other headphones), and I'm pretty sure that not many of them have severe channel imbalances.  Just because one guy experienced imbalances and posted about it probably got some of the X2 owners to experience "channel imbalances" due to the placebo effect.  Then they post about their experiences with the X2 being "imbalanced", which in turn, gets more owners of the X2 to experience "channel imbalances".  And now everyone experiences "channel imbalances" and thinks that the X2 is "imbalanced".
You might've misinterpreted the posts about it being brighter than the X1 to mean that it sounds bright.  This is not true.  A bright-sounding can would be something like the AD900X, or the Q701/K6XX/K7XX, which are much brighter than the X2.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #1,585 of 15,268
  What is the easiest way to test if your Headphone is imbalances, I'm a very paranoid person & I want to make sure that my X2 is perfect. 

I think someone (Mad Lust Envy?) mentioned using SineGen to do a frequency sweep and then listening from the exterior of the earcups to see if one side sounds louder than the other.  I tried this and couldn't detect any difference.  That doesn't meant the headphones are perfectly balanced, but they are balanced enough that any differences aren't perceptible to me. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,586 of 15,268
been listening to these headphones all day. they are almost perfectly tuned for me, someone who is used to using studio monitors all day long in a treated room. 

If I could criticize anything about the sound, it would be that the bass is slightly overemphasized and not as controlled sounding as some higher end studio monitors. In studio monitor world, I would describe this as if the speaker was a smidgen excessively ported. Overall detail retrieval in the upper mids and highs is not as good as some higher end studio monitors and Audeze LCD-X/LCD-XC, but I think that additional detail comes at the expense of listening fatigue.

The clamping force complaints I think are exaggerated, I have a larger than average head and these are easily just as comfortable or more so than my DT880s. I may be more tolerant of this than most, because I also think complaints about the weight of Audeze LCD-XC headphones are exaggerated by some real wimpy audiophiles.

For $299, damn what a great buy. A relaxed sounding, cheaper, and arguably better sounding HD600/650 alternative. I was leaning towards repurchasing the HD600/650 because I've had treble-induced tinnitus from the DT880's "tizziness", but the X2s are a much better value. If you want something noticeably better than this, I really think you have to sink another $1400 bucks and get a flagship. Basically, if you are in the market for the HD600/650 laid-back sound, IMHO get the X2 instead and save your money. They are also way easier to drive!

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,587 of 15,268
I have both the HD650 and X2 amongst many. The weird thing is that in 10 years time everyone will still be talking about the HD650, but they will have long forgotten the X2.
Imho there are many reasons for this. I like my X2, yes it's really good and yet I still pick up my HD650 each time. It's just more "right" for some reason

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #1,588 of 15,268
  I have both the HD650 and X2 amongst many. The weird thing is that in 10 years time everyone will still be talking about the HD650, but they will have long forgotten the X2.
Imho there are many reasons for this. I like my X2, yes it's really good and yet I still pick up my HD650 each time. It's just more "right" for some reason

Anything specific about the 650 that you like more?

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,590 of 15,268
  Anything specific about the 650 that you like more?

Nostalgia factor? Lol. Also getting used to the sound signature. There's nothing about HD650 that's better than X2, I had them for a long time. Perhaps mids are more present but not even that much. The lack of sub-bass alone is a dealbreaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back