Philips Fidelio X2, Sennheiser HD598SE, AKG K701/K702
Nov 7, 2017 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Apooo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am having really hard time deciding between these cans. I listen mainly Classical Rock/Metal but the things is that these cans will be used mainly for gaming so large soundstage and accurate positional audio is a priority for me.

I also do not own any amp so these will be plugged directly to onboard audio ( I am planning to upgrade to Creative ZxR or AE-5)

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 13
From what I've read, and I've read a lot, the AKG is probably the best all-rounder from that list. X2 probably isn't good for classical at all and the 598 is too relaxed for rock. It seems the AKG is good at both AND gaming so I'd lean towards that

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 13
Do you want bass because the K701/K702 really lack bass and for that reason I don't like them because they're not fun. If you don't care about bass and just want a massive soundstage then the K702 wins there.

As for K712 Pro it's better than all these by a mile as it's one of the best all-rounders so if you can afford K712 then go for it.

Also the AKGs need an amp to fully shine so if you plan on getting one in the future then go for the AKGs, if not then the X2 will meet what you need from that list.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 13
From experience of both the 598 and 701, I feel as if the AKG's will better suit your needs. And YJX94 brings up a good point about the bass... It's THERE, but lacks sub-bass impact.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 13
I know nothing about soundcards so take this with a few grains of salt but....

The AKG models you listed sound like trash without a solid amp,so unless your new soundcard is a powerful one I would focus on the X2,which is quite easy to drive,has bass+ wide sound stage,which is a rare combo,esp. at this price point.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 13
I've read somewhere that X2 has a very broad soundstage, even more so than the AKG K712 Pro, but it does not have much depth, is it true ?
X2 has a bigger soundstage, K712 has a better soundstage.

Big soundstage does not equal better and soundstage isn't the be-all and end-all of a headphone even though I personally like wider soundstages.

The X2 has a bigger soundstage than the K712 but it's imaging and detail is not on the same level as the K712. K712 soundstage is narrower but it has better imaging and detail retrieval giving it a more accurate soundstage whilst being wide at the same time.

This is why I will always recommend the K712 over the X2 when someone considers both, they're in the same price range but the X2 cannot touch the K712.

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 13
X2 has a bigger soundstage, K712 has a better soundstage.

Big soundstage does not equal better and soundstage isn't the be-all and end-all of a headphone even though I personally like wider soundstages.

The X2 has a bigger soundstage than the K712 but it's imaging and detail is not on the same level as the K712. K712 soundstage is narrower but it has better imaging and detail retrieval giving it a more accurate soundstage whilst being wide at the same time.

This is why I will always recommend the K712 over the X2 when someone considers both, they're in the same price range but the X2 cannot touch the K712.

How do you think K712 works without amp, directly connected to computer audio? K712 seems really interesting..

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 13
How do you think K712 works without amp, directly connected to computer audio? K712 seems really interesting..

Waste of money and a good headphone.Get an amp!

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 13
That's like paying lots for a super car only to drive it on local roads which have a speed limit, you just don't do that. It'll work but it won't perform to its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back