Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Aug 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #46 of 1,061
For reply to the planar question: I only have a moded, recabled T50RP to compare it to X2. 50RP is a linear HP. Its more neutral and not very warm like X2. Apart from these differences (or strengths IMO) X2 will eat 50RP for lunch!
smily_headphones1.gif
X2 is MUCH better in every other aspect IMO.

Wish I had a friend with an X1 and L2 around to compare them with X2
frown.gif

Interesting. My X1's don't even think about making a meal out of my Nickerfied 50RP's!. But I suppose there are lots of variations to modded 50RP's, and we don't yet know how much of a difference there is between the X1's and the X2's, and of course personal preferences comes into play. Ultimately though I'm glad that you are liking the X2's so much!
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #48 of 1,061
Baycode...u need to find a pair of X1 n complete this review. $$$ lolz.
buy the hd650 too...and then the LCD2..and give us a big shootout !! :p

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #49 of 1,061
yeah. thats exactly what I said in my first post. 
The X1 does NOT use real leather. I didn't think anyone was under the illusion that 150 dollar cans did. They sound great though, but they are just fancy looking plastic through and through like 99% of all the cans under 300/400 bucks. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #51 of 1,061
Baycode...u need to find a pair of X1 n complete this review. $$$ lolz.
buy the hd650 too...and then the LCD2..and give us a big shootout !! :p

+1 indeed! :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #52 of 1,061
.... I need these. And the new Sony Flagships.... My wallet is not happy.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #54 of 1,061

*wondering how X2 compares to planars...*

from my experience, the X1 DOES NOT use real leather. i've touched it myself, compared it to real leather, and i can tell its fake.

From the Philips US website: "Genuine calf leather headband for style and durability."  My X1 headband smells and feels like real leather.  Granted, I haven't tried gnawing on it like beef jerky so I could be wrong.

Also confirmed by my mother who has been doing leather handicraft for almost 20 years. X1 headband uses real leather :wink:
Not that I care about it. Even thinking about removing it to reduce weight.
  yeah. thats exactly what I said in my first post. 
The X1 does NOT use real leather. I didn't think anyone was under the illusion that 150 dollar cans did. They sound great though, but they are just fancy looking plastic through and through like 99% of all the cans under 300/400 bucks. 

Yes, X1 is using REAL leather. Plastic? Aluminium swivel rings. Aluminium cups edges. Cups itself are plastic, but quality ones. Metal grills. Metal headband arches. 99% plastic?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
  I would love to try these "again"!
I had the X1 for a short time, but the sibilance did hurt with that piece, so I sent it back.

O_o sibilance on X1 ? Really? Must be coming from Your source/amp. Also might be case of no proper burn-in. Never heard any sibilance with X1.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #55 of 1,061

Also confirmed by my mother who has been doing leather handicraft for almost 20 years. X1 headband uses real leather :wink:
Not that I care about it. Even thinking about removing it to reduce weight.

I do remember the X1 headband having that leathery smell whenever I put them on for a listening session when I owned them. The leather itself is thick and stiff.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #56 of 1,061
Thanks everyone for their contribution to the thread!

@peter123 thanks and you're welcome! are you really coming to Turkey in november? Or just kidding? :p

Thank you!

Yes I'm really going to Turkey on November 20'th so you better hide those X2 if I still haven't got a pair by then 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #57 of 1,061
  O_o sibilance on X1 ? Really? Must be coming from Your source/amp. Also might be case of no proper burn-in. Never heard any sibilance with X1.

Yes, I wouldn't mind if it was just a little, but it hurt! I was letting it burn in for days, but it didn't tame down. It was so bad I just had to send it back...I wanted a replacement originally, but it was out of stock...
Some helpful members tried those songs too, and didn't hear sibilance.
I can hear no sibilance with the same setup and same songs with the HE-400, so there must have been something wrong with my X1.

This is so strange though, I was browsing through my photos just a few days ago when I saw the X1 and it got me thinking about trying it again. And now I see this review and I want them again even more...

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #58 of 1,061
I can hear no sibilance with the same setup and same songs with the HE-400, so there must have been something wrong with my X1.

I hear sibilance with the X1 I got too and they're not really as people here describe them to be. Maybe you and I somehow ended up with Fake X1's? or we have the same ears that nobody else has.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #60 of 1,061
  Thank you!

Yes I'm really going to Turkey on November 20'th so you better hide those X2 if I still haven't got a pair by then 
biggrin.gif

What's a Swede living in Norway doing in Turkey on November 20? Is there a rave going on? 
biggrin.gif

Baycode abi, thanks for your effort and time in writing this up. I'd like to see a similar review on the AvB signature line. These are interesting cans ama unfortunate that it seems to have the same size and fit as X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back