Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode
Aug 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #31 of 1,061

Thanks for the great review. I wonder when they'll be available in the United States.

Seeing as how we don't yet have the L2 stateside I would imagine we have a long wait ahead of us in the US.

Once available in amazon.it then there is a large chance we can get them even cheaper than ppl in EUROPE

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #34 of 1,061
Very nice review.

Great to see confirmation on the removable pads, although the pins on the headphone itself may still be a hindrance if one wishes to use other earpads from other headphones (assuming they fit). Also because they are pins, it means they are almost proprietary as well. One step forward, 2 steps back.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #35 of 1,061
So, we've got confirmation that the pads are indeed removable, but any confirmation that Philips is also going to make replacement pads available? 

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #37 of 1,061
  *wondering how X2 compares to planars...*

from my experience, the X1 DOES NOT use real leather. i've touched it myself, compared it to real leather, and i can tell its fake.

From the Philips US website: "Genuine calf leather headband for style and durability."  My X1 headband smells and feels like real leather.  Granted, I haven't tried gnawing on it like beef jerky so I could be wrong.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #39 of 1,061
  So, we've got confirmation that the pads are indeed removable, but any confirmation that Philips is also going to make replacement pads available? 

I would be surprised if they didn't sell replacement pads, that would be gutting themselves for at least 25 (assuming 40 is per pair) per unit sold. Basically, a 60-70% replacement buy-up rate, plus it allows them to possibly expand the replacement line with optional colors or fabrics to further drive peripheral sales.

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #41 of 1,061
  I would love to try these "again"!
I had the X1 for a short time, but the sibilance did hurt with that piece, so I sent it back.

Lemme know how much they charge for them in Hungary. I'm curious. Are they available in brick-and-mortar shops or only online? Same goes to the X1?

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #42 of 1,061
  Lemme know how much they charge for them in Hungary. I'm curious. Are they available in brick-and-mortar shops or only online? Same goes to the X1?

I bought the X1 via amazon.it just like many other people (and they were very nice even when I asked for a refund). I'm not even sure if the Hungarian distributor carried the X1, to be honest. They might had a few pieces, but not when I wanted to buy. Maybe months later, because I can recall some people saying they could try it. Not sure about this though.
Based on this I would not bother with them, especially if there will be a deal on amazon like with the X1.
To be honest I'm very happy with the HE-400 now, but these Fidelio X phones are just so beautiful, and I loved the sound overall, so I might end up to be weak enough to give the X2 a try.

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #43 of 1,061
Thanks everyone for their contribution to the thread!

Dear Lorspeaker I assume it wouldn't be easy to remove the leather-like fabric material from the back of the earpads. It seems fused together to velour and memory foam (can't be 100% sure unless I try to remove). Also thanks for your nice words!

peter123 thanks and you're welcome! are you really coming to Turkey in november? Or just kidding? :p

Headband is genuine leather. I don't have to search internet for the info because it smells like a pair of new genuine leather shoes! I have zero doubt...

From the info on the back of the package it seems that Philips knew some of the issues of predecessor and tried to fix them.

I have measured the cable impedance and although my crappy multimeter is not a reliable instrument, +/-/gnd all measured as 006 ohm (this value is what I saw on the LCD screen). I am not an expert on these measurements so hope this info may help.

FYI: I knew that replacable earpads (spares) will be awailable from Philips.

For reply to the planar question: I only have a moded, recabled T50RP to compare it to X2. 50RP is a linear HP. Its more neutral and not very warm like X2. Apart from these differences (or strengths IMO) X2 will eat 50RP for lunch! :) X2 is MUCH better in every other aspect IMO.

Wish I had a friend with an X1 and L2 around to compare them with X2 :frowning2:

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #44 of 1,061
oh...so the earpads are sort of glued to a disc...like those of hd600/650..
then it cant be transplanted onto other cans. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #45 of 1,061
oh...so the earpads are sort of glued to a disc...like those of hd600/650..
then it cant be transplanted onto other cans. 

Yes, feels like that there is a disc beneath the memory foam where the leather-like fabric material is also attached to. Have no idea on that earpad mods. But this earpad is the best thing I have ever experienced...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back