1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by baycode, Aug 5, 2014.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. grizzlybeast

Once available in amazon.it then there is a large chance we can get them even cheaper than ppl in EUROPE

2. AxelCloris Administrator

Well yeah. Pretty sure that's where both of us purchased the L2. :p

3. Valhallatier
    *wondering how X2 compares to planars...*

from my experience, the X1 DOES NOT use real leather. i've touched it myself, compared it to real leather, and i can tell its fake.

Submariner2 likes this.
  4. benbenkr
    Very nice review.

Great to see confirmation on the removable pads, although the pins on the headphone itself may still be a hindrance if one wishes to use other earpads from other headphones (assuming they fit). Also because they are pins, it means they are almost proprietary as well. One step forward, 2 steps back.

5. chicolom
    So, we've got confirmation that the pads are indeed removable, but any confirmation that Philips is also going to make replacement pads available? 

6. AxelCloris Administrator

Nope. We were only demanding removable pads, not replacement pads. :p

I don't know the actual answer, just wanted to be a smartass.

7. s0ckpupp3t

From the Philips US website: "Genuine calf leather headband for style and durability."  My X1 headband smells and feels like real leather.  Granted, I haven't tried gnawing on it like beef jerky so I could be wrong.

AzNyCans, mastababz and jadehawk like this.
  8. NinjaQuick
    They are most assuredly leather. Heavily dyed though, hence the sensation of fake.

9. NinjaQuick
    I would be surprised if they didn't sell replacement pads, that would be gutting themselves for at least 25 (assuming 40 is per pair) per unit sold. Basically, a 60-70% replacement buy-up rate, plus it allows them to possibly expand the replacement line with optional colors or fabrics to further drive peripheral sales.

10. attika89
    I would love to try these "again"!
    I had the X1 for a short time, but the sibilance did hurt with that piece, so I sent it back.

11. Peti

Lemme know how much they charge for them in Hungary. I'm curious. Are they available in brick-and-mortar shops or only online? Same goes to the X1?

12. attika89
    I bought the X1 via amazon.it just like many other people (and they were very nice even when I asked for a refund). I'm not even sure if the Hungarian distributor carried the X1, to be honest. They might had a few pieces, but not when I wanted to buy. Maybe months later, because I can recall some people saying they could try it. Not sure about this though.
    Based on this I would not bother with them, especially if there will be a deal on amazon like with the X1.
    To be honest I'm very happy with the HE-400 now, but these Fidelio X phones are just so beautiful, and I loved the sound overall, so I might end up to be weak enough to give the X2 a try.

13. Baycode
    Thanks everyone for their contribution to the thread!

Dear Lorspeaker I assume it wouldn't be easy to remove the leather-like fabric material from the back of the earpads. It seems fused together to velour and memory foam (can't be 100% sure unless I try to remove). Also thanks for your nice words!

peter123 thanks and you're welcome! are you really coming to Turkey in november? Or just kidding? :p

Headband is genuine leather. I don't have to search internet for the info because it smells like a pair of new genuine leather shoes! I have zero doubt...

From the info on the back of the package it seems that Philips knew some of the issues of predecessor and tried to fix them.

I have measured the cable impedance and although my crappy multimeter is not a reliable instrument, +/-/gnd all measured as 006 ohm (this value is what I saw on the LCD screen). I am not an expert on these measurements so hope this info may help.

FYI: I knew that replacable earpads (spares) will be awailable from Philips.

For reply to the planar question: I only have a moded, recabled T50RP to compare it to X2. 50RP is a linear HP. Its more neutral and not very warm like X2. Apart from these differences (or strengths IMO) X2 will eat 50RP for lunch! :) X2 is MUCH better in every other aspect IMO.

Wish I had a friend with an X1 and L2 around to compare them with X2 :frowning2:

14. Lorspeaker
    oh...so the earpads are sort of glued to a disc...like those of hd600/650..
    then it cant be transplanted onto other cans. 

15. Baycode

Yes, feels like that there is a disc beneath the memory foam where the leather-like fabric material is also attached to. Have no idea on that earpad mods. But this earpad is the best thing I have ever experienced...

Gamingmusiclove likes this.
First

Back
1 2
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last