philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?)
Oct 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #166 of 185
Between the HD650 and the X1, which would be a better all-rounder?

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #167 of 185
  Between the HD650 and the X1, which would be a better all-rounder?

That is a hard one. One needs an amp and the other doesn't. Do you plan on using an amp?

To be simple the better all arounder is the hd650 if it is amped properly. The bass doesn't extend that far but neither does the x1 yet it has a more engaging sound when amped right. The x1 has more fun factor to it but the instruments sound a bit distant so for electronic music it isnt the choice.

The x1 is a bit faster and doesn't need an amp to shine but you have to baby them a little so they last. The 650's will last forever. Still hd650 will do that better in my opinion. I give a slight edge to the x1 for comfort because it doesn't clamp as strong. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #169 of 185
That is a hard one. One needs an amp and the other doesn't. Do you plan on using an amp?

To be simple the better all arounder is the hd650 if it is amped properly. The bass doesn't extend that far but neither does the x1 yet it has a more engaging sound when amped right. The x1 has more fun factor to it but the instruments sound a bit distant so for electronic music it isnt the choice.

The x1 is a bit faster and doesn't need an amp to shine but you have to baby them a little so they last. The 650's will last forever. Still hd650 will do that better in my opinion. I give a slight edge to the x1 for comfort because it doesn't clamp as strong. 

I guess I know what I'm getting. :D Do you think the Fiio E11 would be okay until I find some nice OTL amp or should I get something similar to the O2?

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #170 of 185
hmmm i have tried it with the fiio e11. But that all depends on your patience. The hd650 has a dark sound and is thick sounding with a treble roll off. The fiio e11 is powerful for it's size but it is not a clear sounding amp and can hinder clarity on an already thick sounding headphone. 

But if you would get another amp I am sure you will be fine if you can wait and not judge it based on the fiio pairing. The o2 is supposed to do well with it. They used the hd650 to make the o2 so you should be good to go. The hd650 handles power very well and it takes what you give it without fussing. I would aim for a powerful amp in the long run.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #172 of 185
I definitely agree with you on Senn sound signature. I tried the HD650s, and I found them MUCH more forgiving with a less than high end system than my AKG K612s and frankly every AKG I tried. From my experience, of all the mainstream dynamics, AKGs are the pickiest.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #174 of 185
Hello everyone,

I am posting in here because in my most recent search for some great headphones, I have come to these two pairs. 

Now, I love electronic, hip-hop, rock and roll, (The Who, Rolling Stones) film soundtracks. As you can tell, I have a variety of musical tastes. 

As for other headphones I have: Sony XB-500, Grado Sr-60i and Panasonic HTF-600s. 

I love those cans above, I just want something a little more high end. So I have decided between these two. They are both open which I want, they both look great. I also have a Fiio E11, which will be my main amp. The HE-400 is at the top of my price range, so hopefully the E11 will do. 

I just need to decide between the two, which is best for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #175 of 185
Help please! 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #176 of 185
  Help please! 
regular_smile .gif

i saw this post but it was a tough one for me to answer. simply put:
electronic, hip hop=he400

rock and roll neither.

i like the philips bass but it is too distant sounding to be fully enjoyed with electronic. It may do simple hip hop better than the he-400.. this is coming from a hip hop artist who has had both and started this thread.

so just eq the mids up of the he-400 and you should be good.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #177 of 185
Well, technically the 400 is the best headphone..

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #179 of 185
btw if you didnt know you can go here and they have them brand new at the cheapest price around. Also then you can use the extra cash and get a schiit vali or fiio e12 or something 
http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/frontpage/products/hifiman-he-400-planar-driver-over-the-ear-headphone

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #180 of 185
They are just as cheap through hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back