Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Jul 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #319 of 373
  How does the X1 improve with the E12 vs onboard soundcard?

Here is my experience..

For the first two weeks I owned my Fidelio X1 headphones they ran on my MSI motherboard realtek audio onboard sound.  Then I added a creative soundblaster OMNI usb soundcard.  The OMNI has a DAC and headphone amp. While it probably doesn't measure up to the E12, it does provide surround processing for games.

Overall the sound is more clear and defined.  The bass has tightened up and has a very noticeable increase in presence. The volume level is also increased, these can get loud now quite easily, although I usually listen at low or medium volume.  Much more consistent performance, whereas before the onboard sound went flat if there was too much going on.

While this is not an E12, it is an onboard soundcard vs add-on.  I would absolutely not use the onboard sound, the quality is much better with an external AMP. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #320 of 373
Are there any differences between Philips Fidelio X1 and Philips Fidelio X1/28 Premium ?

The strange thing is that i can get a product named Philips Fidelio X1 for $240 in Denmark and on amazon.com its called Fidelio X1/28 Premium and retails for $300. (Prices are usually way lower in the states).

Any ideas?

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #321 of 373
  Are there any differences between Philips Fidelio X1 and Philips Fidelio X1/28 Premium ?

The strange thing is that i can get a product named Philips Fidelio X1 for $240 in Denmark and on amazon.com its called Fidelio X1/28 Premium and retails for $300. (Prices are usually way lower in the states).

Any ideas?

The Philips Fidelio X1/28 is the designation for USA/Canada.  The X1/00 is European stock.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #323 of 373
  I am referring to the "Premium" or does this have no meaning?

Well let's see...
On the Philips Fidelio X1 web page, it says "High Fidelity, Premium Quality"
There was a "Special Limited Edition" Gold and Black Fidelio X1 that was made in Hong Kong.

I have both X1/00 and X1/28 and they sound the same.  The first one was an X1/00 bought used from a head-fi member.  My second one is an X1/28 I bought on Amazon.  The inside packaging is identical.  The only difference I can see is the X1/00 box says "High Fidelity Sound" on the lower left corner while the X1/28 box says "X1" on the lower left corner.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #325 of 373
  Ok great! thank you for your help!
Nice to see that some products are cheaper here :p

• From Wikipedia:
    Koninklijke Philips N.V. is a Dutch diversified technology company headquartered in Amsterdam with primary divisions focused in the areas of Healthcare, Consumer Lifestyle and Lighting. 

Philips products should be cheaper there, eh?

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #327 of 373
  Denmark is Danish :wink:
The Netherlands is Dutch :)

I am now embarrassed, sorry about that.
Anyway, enjoy your new Philips Fidelio X1.  I love mine so much I have it in my avatar 

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #328 of 373
Just got mine, love 'em so much I think I may be partially converted to the world of open-back, LOL. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #329 of 373
  Just got mine, love 'em so much I think I may be partially converted to the world of open-back, LOL. 

How do they compare with the V-Moda M100s? That was another set of cans that interested me.

Saving up for these bad boys...I just can't justify spending that kind of money on the X2 so the X1 will definitely do.

Anyone have any experiences with the FiiO E10K paired with the X1?

Don't have the budget to go with a O2/ODAC or Schitt stack unfortunately.

From what I've read, looks like FiiO changed a few things with the K version.
  1. DAC upgraded from WM8740 to PCM5102
  2. Amp upgraded from AD8397 to LMH6643
  3. Lower noise floor
  4. Charger is micro-usb

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #330 of 373
If you put a gun to my head and said "pick which sounds better" I'd probably pick the X1 at the moment. It's not a knockout victory, more like a ref decision after a fifteen round brawl, but the X1 takes it for being a little more linear and having a much bigger soundstage. The M100 has more subbass, largely thanks to its closed back, and it's the kind of bass you can physically feel due to how the headphone really does sit AGAINST your ear, while the X1 has less mid/upper recess and the bass is big but not as "physical". The M100 sounds more "mechanical" than the X1, but is also much more in your face. The music sounds like you're pressed up against the amplifiers whereas the X1 sounds more like you're sitting in the audience. The X1 is more relaxed, the M100 is more aggressive. It's VERY hard for me to pick which one of those two sounds I like better, but maybe it's the novelty of it that makes me like the X1 more RIGHT NOW.

HOWEVER, there are other factors at play. To my feeling, the M100 with XL pads are far and away more pleasurable to wear. They hug the head just tightly enough that it feels secure, the pads are comfy, and the size is adjustable. The X1 is looser on the head and uses and auto-adjust system that works fine, but leaves the wearer feeling like the set is more "resting atop your head" rather than stuck to it. 

Then there's open vs closed and portability. The X1 is an enormous (and I mean enormous) open-back headphone while the M100 is an incredibly compact closed-back headphone. The X1 is not something you'll ever be wearing while on the go. It's just too big, leaks sound, lets in outside noise, and doesn't hold tightly enough to the head to feel good if you're on a subway or something. Additionally, the X1 seems a tad harder to drive. Using the same cable on a Macbook Pro, the M100 is at adequate volume at 50% or a little under, the X1 needs about 75% (I do like my music louder, admittedly). This could be an open/closed issue, but the point is you'll need some extra oomph over the M100.

It comes down to where you'll be using them and what you like. My M100s are sitting on the holder right now and I've actually been using the X1 over my SE846 for desktop listening (dat soundstage), but you could probably flip a coin between them and be totally happy either way. I sat here, swapping back and forth, and it was extremely hard for me to pick which one I thought sounded better. I enjoy the X1 at the moment thanks to the air and openness to the sound, but putting the M100 back on made me go "ahhhh, yes" all over again. If I had to say which is the overall better package? The M100 thanks to greater portability and how easy it is to drive. If you're staying at your desk? The X1 thanks to the bigger soundstage and more "natural" feel.

Both look cool as hell IMO, haha. And bonus Pandoras just because.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back