Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Jan 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #287 of 373
  Picked a pair up from Amazon on a whim because I have no open air cans.

I'm hoping they will give me a reason to take off my D7000's, but idk.  Are there any genres that we feel it will do better than those or my Doggie Pads?

I did the same. Just got em today. They are a nice compliment to the Denon's, as I have had D5000 for years now. Comparing them side by side (with the D5000), the mids are a little more forward (which I like), and the sub-bass isnt quite as low, or the high's quite as high. I know it's a crime to use EQ around here, but pushing the X1's a few db here and there puts them really close IMHO. I don't listen to R&B or anything bass crazy, so these things are a win for me personally. Vocals and other mid present instruments sound a little more awesome on these things... just right IMHO. Time to sell some other cans (Senns and Grado's). Between my 5K, X1, and HE400, the bases are covered for me. The D5K can get hot and claustrophobic for me.

Running the X1 through an older SinglePower tube amp that I will never sell, and these things are really great. Nice sound stage, comfort, timber, aesthetics. A steal for the price I got em at. Yeah!

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #288 of 373
Missed the Amazon deal, currently back on Amazon for $229. Do I bite now or wait for another potential drop/deal?

Anyone grab them during the gold box deal and want to offload them to me for a not so unreasonable amount?

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #289 of 373
I got mine back when they were $315, and they were still worth it at that price.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #290 of 373
From looking through your gear and pics, I see you've had the K712 and Q701, two I've been considering quite a bit. I am currently using a pair of "unamped" AD700's, beyond the Astro Mixamp I use them through, and enjoy them well enough but feel like they may almost be somehow too detailed and not fun enough, but I do still intended to use my next pair for gaming, mostly semi-competitive CoD Ghosts with buddies where I admittedly sound-whore quite a bit. Beyond the sound, the comfort of the AD700s is questionable, as the earpads are slightly itchy for me and the fit with the 3D wings is not best suited for my head, which is the main reason I'm looking at other options.

What made the X1's the one to keep, while the Q701 and K712 were left behind?

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #291 of 373
  From looking through your gear and pics, I see you've had the K712 and Q701, two I've been considering quite a bit. I am currently using a pair of "unamped" AD700's, beyond the Astro Mixamp I use them through, and enjoy them well enough but feel like they may almost be somehow too detailed and not fun enough, but I do still intended to use my next pair for gaming, mostly semi-competitive CoD Ghosts with buddies where I admittedly sound-whore quite a bit. Beyond the sound, the comfort of the AD700s is questionable, as the earpads are slightly itchy for me and the fit with the 3D wings is not best suited for my head, which is the main reason I'm looking at other options.

What made the X1's the one to keep, while the Q701 and K712 were left behind?

The K712 and Q701 are both great, and their sound characteristics next to the X1 are described in this review (you can extrapolate what the K712 will sound like based off the Anniversary, only +slightly smoother/warmer and +slightly more spacious.)

The AKGs will be a little bit better for competitive gaming, while the X1 will be a little bit better at "fun" gaming.

The reason I sold the Q701s was because the K712 did pretty much everything it did but a bit better, and I preferred it's warmer smoother tone to the drier sounding Q701 (and I could put Q701 pads on the K712 to make it sound almost the same anyways). 

I sold the K712 because I wanted to recoup some funds in order to get an even pricier headphone (like the K812).  Selling the K712 would get me more cash back compared to selling the X1, as the K712 still sells for the same price I got it for (~375) while the X1 seems to have dropped below $250 (it was $315 when I got it).  Also getting a neutral-ish flagship headphone would probably overlap more with the K712 than with the bassier X1, making the K712 more redundant.

Both the K712 and X1 are great all rounders, and while the K712 is a bit more refined and detailed, IMO the X1 is the better headphone value/dollar wise - especially at its current low prices.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #292 of 373

The K712 and Q701 are both great, and their sound characteristics next to the X1 are described in this review (you can extrapolate what the K712 will sound like based off the Anniversary, only +slightly smoother/warmer and +slightly more spacious.)

The AKGs will be a little bit better for competitive gaming, while the X1 will be a little bit better at "fun" gaming.

The reason I sold the Q701s was because the K712 did pretty much everything it did but a bit better, and I preferred it's warmer smoother tone to the drier sounding Q701 (and I could put Q701 pads on the K712 to make it sound almost the same anyways). 

I sold the K712 because I wanted to recoup some funds in order to get an even pricier headphone (like the K812).  Selling the K712 would get me cash back compared to selling the X1, as the K712 still sells for the same price I got it for (~375) while the X1 seems to have dropped below $250 (it was $315 when I got it).  Also getting a neutral-ish flagship headphone would probably overlap more with the K712 than with the bassier X1, making the K712 more redundant.

Both the K712 and X1 are great all rounders, and while the K712 is a bit more refined and detailed, IMO the X1 is the better headphone value/dollar wise - especially at its current low prices.

Nice response. Btw, I keep waiting for myself to get bored with the X1. But, I honestly don't think that's ever going to happen 
smile.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #293 of 373
Good review of this cable currently on the frontpage for the X1 (for those of you who wish to exchange the stock): http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-rc-mh1-headphone-upgrade-cable/reviews/10425

I'd hoped to post up an A/B using another aftermarket cable, but I've an ear infection that bizarrely makes certain frequencies (both electronic and real life) sound robotic and raspy. I thought my amp was broken; or my soundcard or Windows.. but no .. just me. Anyway, will post up my thoughts on it, but I don't have goldenears.. just your average Joe. Before the infection they sounded the same really.. but will still post up my thoughts.

Ears are getting better now slowly, but my GF still sounds like an android.. maybe she is?

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #295 of 373
  I'd hoped to post up an A/B using another aftermarket cable, but I've an ear infection that bizarrely makes certain frequencies (both electronic and real life) sound robotic and raspy.

Ears are getting better now slowly, but my GF still sounds like an android.. maybe she is?

ph34r.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #296 of 373
did anyone rip off the pads to see how its glued onto the lips? 
( think i did it on the Uptown...vaguely) 

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #298 of 373
  did anyone rip off the pads to see how its glued onto the lips? 
( think i did it on the Uptown...vaguely) 

Yeah:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2610#post_9787730

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #299 of 373
Just chiming in to say that comparing the stock cable of the X1 to the $10 Jaycar ones I bought (the best 3.5 -3.5 mm cable they had apparently) I did hear a difference in the bass region. It was more defined and the slam was greater at least in my ears. I was using a creative vision M 80 Gb, C&C BH headphone amp and X1 with the Jaycar cable.

I got the HD 650 2 weeks ago but when I read about the X1 I just couldn't resist! Awesome from the first note! I will be keeping both tho. I agree the HD650 scales up better with higher end equipment. Not good foe the wallet. $500 spent within 3 weeks. Ouch! Lololol! But hey! :wink: (got an unused HD650 for $250 off gumtree 2 weeks ago and an X1 yesterday for $250 as well so I think I've done pretty well price wise)

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #300 of 373
Yo gents,

Well I caved in and bought a pair of X1's with my tax returns. I can't wait to get them tomorrow! I really don't have an very warm/fun headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back