Philips Fidelio NC-1 announced today--the first Fidelio active noise-canceler
Sep 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30
Philips announced the Fidelio NC1 today, which is the first active noise-canceling headphone in the Fidelio line. I am a big fan of the Fidelio line, so I have high hopes for another solid travel headphone choice. In terms of styling, the NC1 looks to me to be inspired by Aedle's gorgeous VK-1, so it certainly has the looks. It'll be arriving at Head-Fi's office soon, so I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Philips audio engineer Rowan Williams assures me they've worked very hard on the NC1's sound, to make it fully worthy of the Fidelio name; and also to make sure its active noise-canceling (ANC) performance is also strong.

The ANC is described by Philips as a hybrid approach, using four microphones to detect ambient noise (which is then inverted to cancel the noise). Two of the microphones are "FeedBackward" microphones, positioned next to the drivers, and more for the low frequency noise cancellation. The other two microphones are "FeedForward" mics, positioned on the outside of the headphone, and specialized for more extended midrange and high frequency noise cancellation. (I'm looking forward to seeing how these external mics are or aren't affected by wind.)

Philips describes the NC1's ANC as best-in-class, and "zero-hiss." Does Bose--the current standard-bearer (in my opinion) for ANC--have anything to worry about? I'll let you know soon.

The NC1 uses 40mm drivers, is foldable, and provides up to 30 hours of use from its USB-rechargeable internal battery.

The only information on price and availability I've seen so far is an MSRP of €249.99, and available in Europe beginning in October. Again, it'll be arriving here soon, and I'll say more about them after I give it some listening time.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 30
These look great. Looking forward to your impressions.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 30
  Personally I'm more interested in the also introduced Philips Fidelio M1 mkii, in particular how they compares to the original M1. However, it seems nobody noticed this introduction...

http://www.ifa.philips.com/news/sound-on-the-go/fidelio-m1mkii-headphones

I started a thread about these new headphones a few days ago.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732937/new-philips-fidelio-headphones

From what I can tell, the only difference between the M1 and the M1 MKII is the MKII has a different driver:

The Fidelio M1MKII utilizes a lighter voice coil compared to its predecessors, ensuring greater clarity in the low frequencies and wider extension in the high frequencies. The result is more finely detailed, spacious sound overall.

I like my M1, and I do want to hear a MKII, but I doubt Philips will be smart about it and release it here in the US.  And the M1 naming is just confusing.  They already have the M1 vs M1i, the only difference is the M1i has a 3button apple remote.  For the price, and since they're detachable, they should just come with both the universal and apple cables.  Now, they have a MKII.  They should have just named the new one the M2 (they did with the new Bluetooth version).

Some pictures on flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/philips_newscenter/sets/72157646215670518

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 30
What - in - tarnation?

On ear ANC?

On ear not over ear?

Is it open backed too? :D

*puts Bose QuietComfort15 over ears on and flips the ANC switch.......silence*

:popcorn:

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 30
What - in - tarnation?

On ear ANC?

On ear not over ear?

Is it open backed too?
biggrin.gif

*puts Bose QuietComfort15 over ears on and flips the ANC switch.......silence*

popcorn.gif

The QC3's were on-ears and worked pretty well with regards to ANC.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 30
I'd be nice if Philips were smarter about distribution of the Fidelio line in the US.  I had to go through more than I should have to get my hands on a black/orange M1 with the 1-button remote.

Have to say, I feel quite lucky in that sense. Phillips is widely available in a lot of stores in Ireland. X1s I had to get online but M1s and L1/2s were available in a lot of larger stores. I'm hoping these will be too so I can actually try something before I buy for a change.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 30
  The QC3's were on-ears and worked pretty well with regards to ANC.

I still prefer over ear for ANC as it gives better passive noise isolation than on ear style earcups due just by the physical nature of their design, which can only enhance as an addition  to the ANC feature.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here by criticising these new Philips ANC cans without checking them directly, but Bose do such an amazing job with their ANC on the Quiet Comfort 15's with so many other brands not seeming to be able to get on par with Bose that my expectation bias has set in without keeping an open mind.

Note to self: don't write a can off before you've heard it first 
redface.gif

Be good to find Philips beat BOSE at their own game though for sure.

Did you find much/any difference between the QC15 and QC3's yourself?

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 30
Not the right place for this, but it seems Philips is putting out the first lightning connector headphone, the Fidelio M2L. Philips is making a pretty good endeavor of late. And more on topic, the NC1 is gorgeous in that picture.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 30
Not the right place for this, but it seems Philips is putting out the first lightning connector headphone, the Fidelio M2L. Philips is making a pretty good endeavor of late. And more on topic, the NC1 is gorgeous in that picture.

The M2L looks just like the Bluetooth version with a wire attached.  You'd have to be a pretty staunch iDevice lover to buy headphones that only work on an iDevice.  Do Macs have a lightning connector as well?

It looks like the M2L are getting far more press than any other Fidelio headphone.  Kinda makes me sick, but that's the way it is with Apple trinkets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back