Philips Citiscape Uptown vs. Creative Aurvana Live!
Apr 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
Which one is the better one and why? I'm listening to rap/hiphop, so I want a tight punchy bass with good impact. But mids and highs also should sound very clear. I also want really clear vocals.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 21
The Uptown is light on bass so you might be disappointed especially if you use it for rap.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
Alright thanks for your input man. Any experience with the CAL?

I had a pair a while back. They are pretty good for $70 headphones. I didn't keep mine, I returned them after a week.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Why did you return them?

I got them the same time I got the JVC S500 and S400.
The S500 did everything better. Better bass, better mids, more energy, and yes I listen mostly to rap/hiphop. The CAL! didn't sound bad, it's just that the S500 sounded better. There was no reason for me to keep the CAL! since I already have other headphones that sounds better or similar to them.

I'll pick up another pair one day if I can find it for cheap but right now that's not a priority. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
I got them the same time I got the JVC S500 and S400.
The S500 did everything better. Better bass, better mids, more energy, and yes I listen mostly to rap/hiphop. The CAL! didn't sound bad, it's just that the S500 sounded better. There was no reason for me to keep the CAL! since I already have other headphones that sounds better or similar to them.

I'll pick up another pair one day if I can find it for cheap but right now that's not a priority. 

What are some good and bad things about the CAL!?

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 21
I found the CAL! to be overly warm and muddy.  I thought the Uptowns were far better balanced, while still having a good amount of bass (north of neutral, but not overblown, IMO).  If I were to get one again, I'd go with the Uptowns.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
I found the CAL! to be overly warm and muddy.  I thought the Uptowns were far better balanced, while still having a good amount of bass (north of neutral, but not overblown, IMO).  If I were to get one again, I'd go with the Uptowns.

What about instrument separation and vocal clarity? Also, is the bass tight and deep?

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 21
Superbump
Wondering the same as well. One of the few things i like on my cal! is the separation or soundstage (i dont know wich exactly to call it but it seems like the sound on the cal!s surround you... for example on the v6's the sound seems like its in your literaly inside your head (in the centre and transitions from left to right and etc sound better on the cal!'s).....

Do the uptowns do this as good as the cal!'s or better? I am thinking of getting the uptowns as a replacement to my akg k518dj....

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
Superbump
Wondering the same as well. One of the few things i like on my cal! is the separation or soundstage (i dont know wich exactly to call it but it seems like the sound on the cal!s surround you... for example on the v6's the sound seems like its in your literaly inside your head (in the centre and transitions from left to right and etc sound better on the cal!'s).....

Do the uptowns do this as good as the cal!'s or better? I am thinking of getting the uptowns as a replacement to my akg k518dj....

Don't know about the CAL!, but the Uptowns have great imaging from what I can remember. Definitely great instrument separation aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back