Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Jul 8, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 528
I have to keep an eye on these, they might be good. :)

My worries is about the weight, some reviewer already pointed that out being all alu design, 370g is pretty high for me being used to sub-300g.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #17 of 528
I found a pair of these on Craigslist and took a chance that I wasn't going to get ripped off;  I got everything I was supposed to except for the outer sleeve of the box, so I can't complain too much.

I'd post some pics, but I guess I'm so new here that I don't have the proper permissions.  If someone had a way of fixing that or wants me to email them the pics so they can post them for me, that'd be pretty cool.  I got the white Miami bag, the extra ear pad covers for Miami/2014 /Armin VB.  The extra screw in adapter for larger outputs, the R/L cup covers, the 93mm cushions (got my eyes out for the 80mm so they're a little less bulky when I'm not at home with them).  Oh and the cable that comes with these is quite nice, screws into either earpiece, is long enough that it's sometimes overbearing, but I love that the coil is far from the cups (I can stuff it into my pocket when I'm listening to a portable device around the house or walking through town).

I don't think I've ever experienced music before wearing these.  To use some of the vocabulary that I've picked up from Head-fi:  they're not too bass heavy, but it will give a bit of punch with the bass bumped up, the sound stage is very well defined, giving ample access to pay attention to a variety of sounds going on all at once ( I mostly listen to EDM, but I also listen to some Alternative Rock, a small amount of pop (very small), some female vocalists, and some classical/remixed(edm) classical (Bond for ex).  The vocals are quite clear even at higher volumes while the mids are present and bass comes and goes without being overbearing,   I can't quite explain it, but I'll do my best as follows... There's a spacious feeling about listening to these cans, it's like I'm in a big room and each part of the track is clearly played, but from different parts of the room, so I can focus on each part, or just lean back and listen to it all at once.  All the while, if someone's talking to me, even with these at about 60% volume from an ipod, I need to be tapped on the shoulder or w/e for someone to get my attention.

Hope my amateur review has helped a little and hypes these up for those of you still waiting on a pair!

All that said, they blow any other headphones that I've ever casually owned out of the water.  My previously most expensive pair, however, was only the 100$ Zinkens by Urbanears and some lower-end on ear phones I picked up for ~50 from Radio Shack when I was a teenager. 

~Zack

Nice one M8 - glad to get a very positive first impression :)

I'll PM you if you want to email your photos to me, I can post them for you :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #19 of 528
  I have to keep an eye on these, they might be good. :)

My worries is about the weight, some reviewer already pointed that out being all alu design, 370g is pretty high for me being used to sub-300g.

Compared to the JVC SZ2000 cans (485g without cable) the A5-Pro (370g without cable) weigh less - but the SZ2000 don't feel that heavy to me when using them anyway, so I guess weight would only be an issue to me if a headphone was ridiculously heavy.

Your Q40 weigh in at 250g without cable but build is all plastic - aluminium may weigh more but is far more robust and durable - a key attribute for DJ application and peace of mind for non DJ owners using the A5-Pro as a regular headphone.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 528
I sent cb3723 some photos a few minutes ago.  Hopefully he gets those up here soon since I can't seem to directly post them.

Cheers

edit:  I just checked the USA Philips site; no dice, so use the armin link if you guys want to order a pair.

Also, the weight is nothing compared to what I've gained compared to all my other cans.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 528
I have a good feeling that these are going to be some insane basshead headphones just looking at them screams basshead. but the price will drop on these very soon as nobody buys philips

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #26 of 528
I sent cb3723 some photos a few minutes ago.  Hopefully he gets those up here soon since I can't seem to directly post them.

Cheers

edit:  I just checked the USA Philips site; no dice, so use the armin link if you guys want to order a pair.

Also, the weight is nothing compared to what I've gained compared to all my other cans.

Thanks for emailing me your A5-Pro photos! And here they are in their full glory :)

Cool photos for sure - can't wait for my pair to arrive with me, hopefully very soon :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #27 of 528
The way these fold up is extremely sexy, not any needed feature for me but sexy it is at least looking at the presentation video of the product, in one sec you turn it into some silly small compact form-factor. :p Also huge plus is the choice of pads & easy to swap/take off. It's also one of the best looking headphones IMO because they look so "badass" somehow and it also has to be among the most durable ones. V-Moda in its all glory but this is sturdier without cheap easily breaking plastic wings. Just hope the sound matches the looks, I can at least see DJs raving about these.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 528
Strange how I saw this on TaoBao long before this thread began...have I seen the future? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #30 of 528
The way these fold up is extremely sexy, not any needed feature for me but sexy it is at least looking at the presentation video of the product, in one sec you turn it into some silly small compact form-factor. :p Also huge plus is the choice of pads & easy to swap/take off. It's also one of the best looking headphones IMO because they look so "badass" somehow and it also has to be among the most durable ones. V-Moda in its all glory but this is sturdier without cheap easily breaking plastic wings. Just hope the sound matches the looks, I can at least see DJs raving about these.

Yeah, the snap quick draw open and easy fold into smaller portable form factor is both novelty and functionality at the same time - I'm glad that it appears that nothing on these cans has been wasted on gimmicks alone to the cost of usability - everything appears to make sense in design.

Just wish my pair would hurry up already and get delivered :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back