Philips 890 (and 910, kind of)
Apr 13, 2002 at 10:27 AM Post #46 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I've noticed that some people include in the category "treble" stuff that I personally call "upper midrange" (maybe they would consider it "lower treble"
wink.gif
). The upper midrange on the 890 was definitely very forward (as was the rest of the midrange), and I could see someone calling it "bright" in that along the frequency spectrum, frequencies at the upper end are emphasized...For me, my points of reference are Etys, HD600 with Clous, and V6/7506, all powered by a Max. These three headphones in this situation have some of the best upper-end detail around. So maybe I'm just used to really good detail, so I was disappointed.

My impressions are quite similar to yours MacDEF. When listening to the Sundays record 'Reading, Writing and Arithmetic' Harriet Wheeler's voice in its upper register is peaky and pierces through with these headphones, as do some mid-high frequencies in the rather tinny sounding guitar and cymbals on this record. I think that the 890 must have a peak (albeit a pretty narrow one) at about this point in the frequency spectrum. Highs otherwise are decently represented, but didn't rock my world.

I also think the 890 is lacking in detail. The midrange is, in a word, imprecise. Not as warm and flabby as the midbass hump of the KSC 35's makes those headphones, but enough to be a disappointment.

That being said, I love the fact that the 890's have soundstage to burn, and are very relaxing to listen to.

Something I noticed about the comfort factor of the 890's is the large earmuffs exterting pressure on my jaw, which makes them somewhat uncomfortable. I think that the spring action on the headband is too strong, and results in more pressure than merely the weight of the headphone to be transferred to the top of your head. Also, the headband makes a 'scrunkk' noise, which should be alleviated with a touch of silicone spray at the factory.

These headphones are at about the 75th hour of burn-in. I'll let them go for a few more days before I completely make up my mind.

Apr 13, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #47 of 48
xerx
I find that I must use an amp with the 890s to get them to sound at thier full potential. I am useing my stereo receiver 500watt sony with a good jack output that is very clean. I dont know the power in m/w or watts buy it is very strong and gets the 890s to thier full potential. I also use the total airhead wich is ok with the 890s and an waiting for my suprime to be optimize by TOD at headroom mostly to power my 580s but you know I will plug in my 890s. In my opion yes you dont need an amp for the 890s but dont expect them to be at thier best. And since I requier that the 890s give me thier best sound amd amp is a must.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #48 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDEF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. This leads me to believe that perhaps there is a bad manufacturing variability with these headphones?

(Since I bought some ancient cans, I have to respond to ancient posts...)

I have heard three of these, and one of them was quite different from the other two, so if your are out of luck, you might find yourself with one that is a bit off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back