Philip K. Dick
Jan 17, 2008 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
I read my first Philip K. Dick novel, A Maze of Death, yesterday and liked it quite a bit. Interesting story, technology and religious aspects. The ending... well, no spoilers at least not yet.

I know Dick has tons of published work out there and that some of it is reputed to be quite mediocre/bad. To compare his work to Bob Dylan's discography, what are the Freewheelin Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, and Blood On the Tracks-type books I should make sure to read?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the only other story of Dick's I know to look for as of now.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 27
1) Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep
2) The Man In The High Castle
3) Ubik

Personally I like Dick's short stories better, because in all honesty, Dick is not a good writer, more of a hack in my opinion. I give him credit for coming up with interesting conceits that are ahead of its time, but not for the writing itself.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 27
i bought one of his novels, "we can remember it for you wholesale" it was the most confusing book i've ever read. it made absolutely no sense to me.

this one included Arnold Schrawzengger's "TOTAL RECALL" movie. the beginning was like the movie, with his desire to go to mars. but thereafter it was nothing like the movie.

it had stupid stories in between, which made no sense to me. so i gave up on finishing it. decided not to read the rest of the book.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 27
"Man in the high castle" came out around the same time as "Freewheelin" both were probably their respective "popular" debuts. Not to sure about the rest of the comparisons not sure when Dylan got hit in the head with a pink beam of light. "Martian time slip", "Valis", "Three Stimata of Palmer Aldrich" and "A scanner Darkly" are other PKD books I've enjoyed.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 27
Also, try Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon , if you love sci-fi with action flicks, not bad at all.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also try Frank Herbert's short stories if you like Dick.

I read several of Herbert's novels after I read Dune. None of them came close, they could have been written by L Ron Hubbard.
frown.gif

Laz

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 27
Just finished "Lies, Inc." by Dick, very interesting read, half way into the book it turns into one massive acid trip. Not one of my favorites by him, I did enjoy Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

To be honest I prefer reading Heinlein.

Jan 18, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 27
I have to admit that I am partial to all of Dick's work. He does a wonderful job of exploring the distinction between truth and perception, and what makes for a conscious life. It is real shame that he lost himself to drugs.

In college, years ago (don't ask) my roommate was doing a report on Dick and wrote him a letter with some questions about his life, his work, etc. Dick not only responded to the questions at some length, but sent a box with a copy of every book that he had ever written. I find his writing a gateway to thinking differently about what it is to be alive. I say, read them all and form your own opinions - I would focus first on his earlier works, before drugs.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

half way into the book it turns into one massive acid trip.

Pretty much of his books could be described like that, no wait maybe the front of the book is the acid trip and the back end is reality, no wait what what if the inside was really the outside...........

Quote:

I would focus first on his earlier works, before drugs.

Dick reportedly wrote everything before a scanner darkly while on speed, if this is true his work got weirder after he quit drugs.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 27
His short stories are fantastic (We can remember it for you wholesale, for example).

As far as novels go, my favourite are 'Do androids dream of electric sheep?' (the book Blade Runner was based off of) and 'A Scanner Darkly'.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 27
I have read several of his books. I enjoy reading quite a bit. One other that I really enjoy is Gene Wolfe of the Sword and the Claw flame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back