Phili/NJ/NY/DE 1/28/12 Meet Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
Great meet.  I believe we ended up with a total of eleven people from the original twenty, which, though a bit less than originally anticipated, provided for a more personal atmosphere.  None of the  exhibitors were able to make it, but it was a good time.

The cancellation of the original meet constituted a curveball of sorts, so big thanks to Joe for reorganizing the meet, and to Brasewel for stepping up and volunteering to have the meet at his place.  It wouldn't have happened without either one of you.  Also, thanks again to Brasewel for providing both breakfast, lunch and beverages of the alcoholic and non-alcoholic varieties.

Thanks to Joe for the good company and conversation during what would have otherwise been a boring ~2hr drive each way, to and from PA.

Big ups to Lee, for bringing four (!) different rigs.  I don't think anybody brought more gear than he did.  Also, props to Herbert on building two great DIY amplifiers at minimum cost.  I was quite surprised one of the amps was able to drive the HE-6 admirably.  And speaking of DIY, Adam's KGSSHV/Buffalo32 + SR-009 combination put my own rudimentary electrostatic rig to shame, and was what I considered the "showstopper" of the meet.  Now I know what to look forward to when I get my BHSE in a few years.  Howard came through with a solid Cambridge Audio CD transport, which sounded good for $900, and the RSA Apache.

My personal favorite of the meet was the Objective2 (O2) headphone amplifier.  Excellent performance to be had from this, for about $100.  I wish this had existed back when I started my headphone journey, as this would've probably been my first amp.  The Audio-gd NFB-10SE also represents great value for $500.  Another piece of gear I wish had been around when I was starting.

I hope everybody had a good time.  Apologies for not joining you guys for dinner.  Perhaps another time.  And definitely looking forward to the next meet.

Yeah for sure, was glad to meet you guys and Zeke was just as excited to go to another meet. Dude, we went back home, tried putting on my headphone setup, and just took them off in disdain
triportsad.gif
all that equipment; all that wallet poison.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 40

Quote:
Hello, all,

It was great to see/meet many head-fiers today.  Special thanks, again, to Frank I for beginning with plans for this meet, and giving us his blessing to go on without him.  We missed you today, Frank, and wish your family well!

Special thanks as well go to Brasewel for opening his house to us for the relocated meet.

I know that leesure took many pictures today, and hope that he gets a chance to upload them to this thread.

Thanks Joe for the kind words and for organizing the meets. Glad you guys had fun. it been a challenging weekend for me my wife and girls went to Rochester as I was in Central Jersey after a phone call that my mom was in ICU  and may not make the day so I spent the weekend there. Her blood pressure is now back to normal and it as 71/45 when I got there Friday and she is on a  breathing respirator and has pnemonia but she is being weened off the machine now so I thought we were going to lose her Friday. Bit I am so happy for you guys and sorry I could not host nor be a part of it but thanks to all again.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

I had no idea you could go digital USB directly out of an idevice.  
blink.gif
  Is this an iPad only feature?  Or was my Pure i20 dock really just a waste of money?

Only works with the iPad tho.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #23 of 40
Hey guys, Just wanted to say what a great time I had yesterday. Got to hear some great gear and meet a few new faces to boot. Thanks Brasewel for pinch hitting in a pinch and hosting a great meet. I have done quite a few of these with Prashant and Brasewel, and I always enjoy spending the day with both of them. As for the gear, It was great to get a lot of time with the amazing 009s, but the real surprise of the day was Herbert's hand made tube amp. What an eye opener. I could not believe the amazing detailed bottom end that little amp was putting out, along with an amazing life-like presence. Prashant, you are going to have one sweet rig when you get that amp in a couple of months. Look forward to doing this again in the near future.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 40
Hey All,
I had a really great time and learned a lot about headphones and amps. Thank you Brasewel for having us and making it so easy being together.
To me the most amazing setup was the DIY KGSS HV and the Stax HP. I listened through the Buffalo. (Just seems to be quite a bit out of my range).
Liked the BD T1 , but a little too analytic for me. My only problem became that now I want the LCD2 even worse than before.
Thank you all for sharing all you had and know!
Enjoy the pictures (hope I figure out how to load them)
Herbert

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #25 of 40
Great Pics Glowgas! I really enjoyed your amp.  Send me a PM and let me know what you would charge to make me one!

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #26 of 40
Bras, thanks so much for stepping up and hosting the meet in a pinch even after selling off all you headphone gear for speakers! Your place and Herbert's tables worked out great. The basement was sooo quiet. I'm used to listening with much more background noise where I live so it was a revelation of sorts to listen to my own rig in such a quiet environment.

A special thanks to Prashant for the ride to and from. That was really nice of you to give me a ride all the way down there from the city. I owe you one, buddy, and I can't wait to hear how your newly commissioned amp comes out.

As always, it was as much fun meeting everyone as it was listening to the gear on hand. I always enjoy chatting with everyone as much as I do listening to the gear. The meet ended up being just the right size that I was able to meet everyone and give all the gear a listen without feeling rushed.

The highlights (gear-wise) of the meet for me were Herbert's DIY amps and the Objective 2. Herbert's amps had a great, romantic sound to them while not sacrificing any of the power and punch that you sometimes lose in a "sweet" sounding amp. As a fellow DIY'er, I also really like the "recycled" look on em. They were clearly a labor of love and they sounded great.

I now know what amp I'd recommend to people looking to buy an amp for the first time. Its hard to imagine doing much better than the Objective 2 without spending two or three times the cost. I though it sounded like a CMoy on steroids. It'd be really hard to do much better for $100. I think I'm going to have to build one for myself at some point in the future to use with IEMs when I go on the road.

I hadn't really spend any time with the Beyer T1's before this meet and I really enjoyed listening to them. As an unabashed HD800 lover the LCD2s are often a little much for me but the T1 seemed to be a nice middle ground between the two (even if it is much closer to the HD800 than the LCD2). In the middle-makert bracket I loved the K-701s. They are handily beaten by the higher-end headphones that cost three or four times more, but for the $300-ish dollars they cost they sounded awfully good.

The only gear I was disappointed with was the Shiit audio stuff. It just wasn't my taste at all. It sounded dry and lifeless to these ears. I appreciate what they are trying to do and I think its amazing that they are able to hit such low price points, but I can't say I'd recommend any of their stuff to my friends.

Dinner afterwards was great, and I'll be excited to do it again in a month or two.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the infamous "Track 4." That thing was a widow-maker. I get a head-ache just thinking about how low that bass went.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #27 of 40
It looks like you guys had a great time, sorry I missed it. Its awesome to see glowglass still building amps, the new one looks neat!

Hopefully my schedule does not conflict with the next one. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #28 of 40
Excellent pics glowglass! I really wish I got to listen to your amps more often.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #29 of 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back