Phili/NJ/NY/DE 1/28/12 Meet Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

a1joe507

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, all,

It was great to see/meet many head-fiers today.  Special thanks, again, to Frank I for beginning with plans for this meet, and giving us his blessing to go on without him.  We missed you today, Frank, and wish your family well!

Special thanks as well go to Brasewel for opening his house to us for the relocated meet.

I know that leesure took many pictures today, and hope that he gets a chance to upload them to this thread.

I will post some impressions in this thread some time in the next few days, but just wanted to start the thread now. 

Also, I mentioned the following to a few people at the meet today, and so I thought I would post a link to it here.  There is an Audio Show in NYC in April.  The only Headphone amp manufacturer I heard from regarding this show is Jack Wu, who thinks he may be an exhibitor there. The exhibitor list does not yet include him though, so I do not know if he has committed to the event or not...

http://www.chestergroup.org/index.php/exhibitiors?start=20

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 40

Quote:
Hello, all,

It was great to see/meet many head-fiers today.  Special thanks, again, to Frank I for beginning with plans for this meet, and giving us his blessing to go on without him.  We missed you today, Frank, and wish your family well!

Special thanks as well go to Brasewel for opening his house to us for the relocated meet.

I know that leesure took many pictures today, and hope that he gets a chance to upload them to this thread.

I will post some impressions in this thread some time in the next few days, but just wanted to start the thread now. 

Also, I mentioned the following to a few people at the meet today, and so I thought I would post a link to it here.  There is an Audio Show in NYC in April.  The only Headphone amp manufacturer I heard from regarding this show is Jack Wu, who thinks he may be an exhibitor there. The exhibitor list does not yet include him though, so I do not know if he has committed to the event or not...

http://www.chestergroup.org/index.php/exhibitiors?start=20

That is truly great news! I just cannot wait to hear what you guys have to say about the KGSSHV with the 009 (as I remember there was no BHSE there, right?).

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 40
Joe, thanks for thinking of relocating the meet, and Brasewel as well for hosting it.  I liked the mix of this meet, and it had the right amount of gear and good people.  

The gear was phenomenal and different.  Among the usual suspects like Lee's AE gear and the Apache we had one of the very first & few KGSSHVs out in the wild.  It was excellent, definitely the minimum for something like the SR-009s.

Adam, I have to say thanks for keeping me company all the way to Philly & back.

Glowglass, thanks for bringing your amplifiers out for us.  I'm happy to say I will own one in a few months!  Excited about it.  This is the only worthwhile picture I took at today's meet:

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 40
just some LQ phone pics I took

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 40
As far as impressions go though, I think I still wanna hear the Audio GD NFB10, the HE-400, and the HD650 but the Bifrost->Lyr->K701 combo really sounds like something I'm going to highly consider....boy was that some good stuff.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 40
B-Dawk...There was an A-GD NFB10se downstairs all day yesterday!!

I still have it, let me know if you wanna make the trip to Lansdale for a listen.

Thanks Brasewell for hosting! 

Impressions and photos to follow later.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 40
I had a great time guys. Glowglass' amp was probably the best amp I've ever heard with the LCD-2 and it's made me reconsider selling my LCD-2s.
Enjoyed the after meet dinner as well with Prashant, Howard and Adam.
Awaiting Lee's pictures!

Since someone was interested in the 009/KGSSV pairing, I'll post a few comments.
I thought it was an amazing setup, much better than the WEE/009. Imaging was spot on, tonal balance was brilliant, no sibilance or hissing and it was very organic overall.
However, I still preferred the LCD-2 out of a good amp like Glowglass' amp or Lee's RWA.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 40
The cleanliness of the sound with the kgssv/009 was just beautiful...like seriously, it really was shock how transparent the 009 can be after comparing adam's and pras'; truly night and day. Here's hoping the blue hawaii doesn't take a year to come in for pras
wink_face.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 40
Jan 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #11 of 40
B-Dawk20 Could you please explain what this means: “Here's hoping the blue hawaii doesn't take a year to come in for pras 
wink_face.gif
”? Specifically, what does “pras” mean here (typo?)?

Also, is there anyone who was at this meeting and had listened to the BHSE with 009 before? Would be interested to hear some thoughts about KGSSHV/BHSE -- 009.

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
B-Dawk20 Could you please explain what this means: “Here's hoping the blue hawaii doesn't take a year to come in for pras 
wink_face.gif
”? What does “pras” means here (typo?)?

Also, is there anyone who was at this meeting and had listened to the BHSE with 009 before? Would be interested to hear some thoughts about KGSSHV/BHSE -- 009.

Thanks.

Oh lol, Pras was one of the guys there. The second of the Stax setups but his Stat amp wasn't the best in the world and he had a blue hawaii on order but the line is rather long.

edit: And yes, those are some amazing pictures there Lee, we appreciate you capturing our fun!

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 40
Great meet.  I believe we ended up with a total of eleven people from the original twenty, which, though a bit less than originally anticipated, provided for a more personal atmosphere.  None of the  exhibitors were able to make it, but it was a good time.

The cancellation of the original meet constituted a curveball of sorts, so big thanks to Joe for reorganizing the meet, and to Brasewel for stepping up and volunteering to have the meet at his place.  It wouldn't have happened without either one of you.  Also, thanks again to Brasewel for providing both breakfast and lunch, as well as beverages of the alcoholic and non-alcoholic varieties.

Thanks to Joe for the good company and conversation during what would have otherwise been a boring ~2hr drive each way, to and from PA.

Big ups to Lee, for bringing four (!) different rigs.  I don't think anybody brought more gear than he did.  Also, props to Herbert on building two great DIY amplifiers at minimum cost.  I was quite surprised one of the amps was able to drive the HE-6 admirably.  And speaking of DIY, Adam's KGSSHV/Buffalo32 + SR-009 combination put my own rudimentary electrostatic rig to shame, and was what I considered the "showstopper" of the meet.  Now I know what to look forward to when I get my BHSE in a few years.  Howard came through with a solid Cambridge Audio CD transport, which sounded good for $900, and the RSA Apache.

My personal favorite of the meet was the Objective2 (O2) headphone amplifier.  Excellent performance to be had from this kit, all for about $100.  I wish this had existed back when I started my headphone journey, as this would've probably been my first amp.  The Audio-gd NFB-10SE also represents great value for $500.  Another piece of gear I wish had been around when I was starting.

I hope everybody had a good time.  Apologies for not joining you guys for dinner.  Perhaps another time.  And definitely looking forward to the next meet.

Edit: Great pictures, Lee.  Glad you brought your camera. Otherwise, I would've had to use my crappy point-and-shoot.  They say the camera adds twenty pounds.  In that picture, it looks like I ate four cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back