Phil Anselmo (Pantera, Down, Superjoint Ritual, etc)
Sep 15, 2009 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RagingForces

Head-Fier
Preface: Phil Anselmo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So for some reason i've been in this very groove metal nostalgic mood recently. I rented all the Pantera dvds I could find from Netflix, listened to all my Pantera cds multiple times and still couldn't get enough.

It made me realize i'm addicted to Phil's voice. While Pantera is certainly what the man is best known for, I've been exploring his other work recently. Namely Superjoint Ritual and Down. There are other side projects of course, what do guys think? Do we have any Anselmo fans here?
L3000.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 10
I like Anselmo, Pantera was and is one of my favourite metal acts. I loved Dimeback, and the whole band just worked so well together. I also liked his work on Down, but not as much as Pantera, some of his slower songs kinda get on my nerves sometimes. "Three suns and one star" is my favourite Down song, it has anselmo written all over it and its very Pantera like.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 10
Yup, he is great Thrash/Post-thrash/groove singer, he has a great range when it comes to metal type singing. Now, I do not value Panteras career too high, though Cowboys From Hell is fantastic album but rest is bit meh... But Phil is still one of the greatest singers in metal genre.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Too bad Phil can't sing like on Cowboys anymore, but I do for the most part like all of Pantera and Down's stuff. Not too sure about Superjoint Ritual. In fact, I'm going to see Down in a month or so at Pop's. Hopefully they will have some new stuff. The last show at Pop's was really good, but they weren't as good opening for Metallica at the Scottrade Center. I think it was a bit too big for them.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Too bad Phil can't sing like on Cowboys anymore

Thats a great shame. His voice sounds so ripping and exciting. But I guess that is the reason why he cannot sing like that anymore, overstressed vocal chords.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YouTube - Phil Anselmo gives a white pride speech Part 1/2

We are not a racist band...

just a racist singer.

This guy is a walking pile of trailer trash METH.

I almost wish you hadn't shown me that. I didn't know the band would let him say such stupid things at the shows. I've only known them from their albums and dvds where none of that is discussed.

I wonder if he regrets saying those things. Utter stupidity, caught up in ignorance. I still love the music of the groups, but that is definitely an ugly side to Phil Anselmo.

I do thank you for linking the video(s), even though it was a little painful to admit that I thought he was simply a smart, creative, self aware individual. I suppose even after all these years I can still look at people with that glassy eyed naive expression.

I hoped we'd talk about his vocal abilities in this thread, but it looks like a serious damper has been put on anything relating to Phil.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 10
sorry man, I too was a fan of Pantera. I think his voice is one of the better ones in this genre. I still do think they have their place in metal history. BUT No matter how drunk or high he was at that moment. No excuse for spewing this garbage to an audience there to hear your MUSIC. We all knew they are rednecks but.......why turn your concert into a KKK recruiting speech?

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Phil was outstanding on Cowboys From Hell (Cemetery Gates and the title track are awesome songs), but his voice went to hell in short order after that. To top it off, he is one of the biggest douchebags on the planet. He is a drunk, arrogant, loser that crapped on the only good thing he had (Pantera).

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Down is a superb band, I think Superjoint Ritual is too hardcore, and the only other projects Phil Anselmo has done afaik are two one offs, Southern Isolation (all acoustic with his girlfriend) and Viking Crown (an apparently bad black metal album where his contributions are fairly small).

As much as I liked Pantera in its heydey, Re-inventing the Steel was for me a signal that the band really needed to break up. Pantera did everything they set out to do and IMO were not innovating anymore. Phil is what kept the band sounding original, as the Damageplan album attests to; to me it just sounds like warmed over Pantera, and Phil moved on to different sounds and is still innovating.

I also feel the same pretty much about Soundgarden. Down on the Upside was a signal that they had their formula down, and really weren't stretching out anymore. A perfect time for the real innovator of the band, Chris Cornell, to go solo and do other projects, and Audioslave being the next big innovation for him.

ADDED: Much is made of Phil Anselmo's on stage and in media tirades about race and his persecution complex. Preaching white pride IMO is different from preaching race hate, i.e. I have not seen Phil rant about how other races are inferior and/or where he advocates a racial purity theme where he and others will lead an all white race. Small difference to some, but it's the difference that keeps me tolerating his foolishness. I have gotten to the point that what a performer is like offstage seldom affects my onstage perception of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back