Phiaton PS500 similarities to Denon D2000?
Apr 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

triple-u

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Phiaton PS500's from a fellow head-fier. They are still relatively unknown and haven't gotten much attention here on Head-fi, but I thought they would be interesting to give a try and I liked the design as well.

While listening to them for the past couple of days, one name kept popping in my head. Denon D2000.

Although I have never heard the Denon's, I've definitely read a lot about them here. Everything about the PS500 reminded me of what I've read about the D2000's.

Laid back and smooth sound. Warm and slow, but dominant bass. Mids a bit recessed, vocals sound like they're coming from behind a wall or screen.

Even the comfort seems similar to what I've heard about the D2000s. Although they aren't (p)leather pads like the D2000s, they are probably the softest non-velour pads I have ever tried. They are cushion-y and are very light on clamping. The headband is also really soft and felt like putting a pillow on my head. Also, the cable for both the D2000s and PS500s are wrapped in nylon.

So now I'm wondering, has anyone that has actually heard both the D2000s and PS500s come to the same conclusion that these two are similar? I'm really curious as to how much they really sound the same. I know there Markl has made some comments on it on another thread, but I'm looking for some more input on these.

Also, there also hasn't been a full-blown review of the PS500s yet. I could do one, but my experience with closed headphones is limited. But if I there's some interest in one, I'd be glad to contribute.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 14
I haven't heard the HD595, but did used to own the HD555. I guess they are similar in some ways, but I still think the PS500 midrange is more recessed. An amp definitely brought it out a bit though.

What are the major differences you noticed between the D2000 and the PS500?

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
I have a new pair of headphones on the way, but I was tempting to pull the trigger on two pairs at once...

The Phiaton PS500 was the one I was looking at. As people have already stated, there isn't much going around about these (yet). I'm still looking to buy a pair sometime, thus following up with a review.

The cord is a minor issue that is holding me back. On a set like these, I don't think a "Y" cord attachment makes a lot of sense.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 14
triple-u, you could open them and check if there are fostex drivers.
From the specs point of view, they are closer to the AH-D1001.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Ah, sorry, I didn't think there was much interest in these headphones, so I never really got around to reviewing them.  I've since loaned them to my brother so I don't have them right now.  I will have them again in two weeks though.  I'll post a bit more about them at that time.

I was happier with my HFI-780s, so I opted to use those instead of the PS500.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 14
I haven't returned to Head-Fi for a while now, but I definitely look forward to your impressions. It seems my upgraditis (or rather, new headphone craving) is acting up again.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Sorry for the delay in a reply, but in case you were still interested, I gave them a listen and comparison to my other closed cans, the Ultrasone HFI-780s.

The PS500 are definitely much more laid back.  There is more emphasis on the low end, with the bass much louder than on my HF-780s.  However, the bass is much more distant, which changes the soundstage quite a bit, but not to my tastes.  I prefer a more involving and upfront sound.

The mids and vocal range is much better and not as relaxed as the bass.  It was more clear and more comparable to my HF-780s but there was still a bit of reverb or echo-y sound to vocals.  It is definitely the most noticeable and upfront sound in the PS500s.  Don't flame me for saying this, but it reminded me a bit of Bose's sound signature emphasis on bass and upfront vocals.

There seems to be a bit of rolloff in the higher frequencies.  It left me wanting more and I felt it was missing something and leaving something to be desired.  This might just be the result of a wider soundstage though.

Comparing the HFI-780s to the PS500s is apples and oranges.  They're intended for different listeners.  Personally, I prefer the HFI-780s for their more engaging sound but for those who prefer a slower, laid back, and wider sound, then the PS500s would probably do the trick.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 14
Interesting impressions. How does the PS500 perform in terms of technicalities, like extension and Pace, Rhythm and Timing? Ultimately, they don't seem to be worth their MSRP, from what you wrote, but they're heavily discounted on Amazon, hence my interest.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 14
I'd also be interested in how they compare to the MS400, which I own and rather like the sonic character of....warm, full-bodied and completely free of upper midrange and high frequency nasties (i.e.sibilants).

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Interesting impressions. How does the PS500 perform in terms of technicalities, like extension and Pace, Rhythm and Timing? Ultimately, they don't seem to be worth their MSRP, from what you wrote, but they're heavily discounted on Amazon, hence my interest.

Yeah, I agree.  I would not get these at MSRP, maybe only for less than $200.

I don't have the headphones with me anymore, but from what I remember, it is definitely a slower sound, but it kept up well when I listened to some fast drums.  I wouldn't say it has weaknesses in pace and rhythm, but it's definitely not a strength.  It just did everything okay.  I just felt it was too laid back and slow for my preference and faster paced music.

Quote:
I'd also be interested in how they compare to the MS400, which I own and rather like the sonic character of....warm, full-bodied and completely free of upper midrange and high frequency nasties (i.e.sibilants).

The PS500s definitely are warm and don't have any sibilance or problems with the upper ranges, except that I felt it was not as bright as it could have been.  Probably just a personal preference, really.  I haven't heard the MS400, but was considering them.  But if they sound anything like the PS500, I don't think I'd like them too much.  I wonder if anyone has heard both.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Thank you for your reply. I have a feeling both Phiatons share sonic similarities. The MS400 remind me a bit of my old Yamaha HP-1 with their warm character.

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 14
I just ordered the PS500. They should be here Wednesday.

After some time, I'll create a comparative review against the D2000 -- just like my AD700 vs A700 one.

It will obviously be in a new thread though, in maybe a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back