Petition to update Stereophile's recommended headphones/amps list
Oct 5, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #16 of 78
OK, here's my first-pass rough draft of the open letter to Stereophile. Your input is encouraged (feel free to nit-pick, I'm presuming to speak for everyone here):

Title: Greetings from the headphone community!

Mr. Atkinson,
I am writing to you on behalf of the headphone enthusiast community, in order to bring to your attention what we feel is the incomplete coverage of headphones and headphone-related products in the pages of Stereophile. This e-mail is the result of a discussion that started on www.head-fi.com (“Headphone Fidelity”, the epicenter of headphone geekdom), in which it was noted that Stereophile’s 2002 Recommended Components list for headphones and headphone amplifiers was missing many of the key products that enjoy widespread acclaim among us headphone geeks “in the know”. We decided as a group to compose this letter to you to see if we can convince Stereophile to increase its coverage of headphones, and I am acting as a delegate on their behalf in this matter.

This is an exciting time to be a “headphone geek”. Largely thanks to www.head-fi.com, a discussion board and gathering place for headphone enthusiasts with over 3000 registered members (and thousands more “lurkers”), we’ve seen a real “boom” in our hobby. Head-Fi is a wonderful community full of some incredibly knowledgeable and obsessive headphone geeks. The group’s “elders” are always glad to help the newbies, and there is a widespread sense that we have something special there and a level of civility, and dare I say “brotherhood”, not often seen on the Web. Many folks (myself included) continue to hang around long after we’ve settled on our headphone system, just to continue to dialog with the friends we’ve made at Head-Fi.

In addition, Members have begun holding local meetings for fellow headphone enthusiasts, organized via a special forum at Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=35. Members bring all of their headphone-related gear and enable other Members to hear for themselves equipment they otherwise would have no access to. Members then post their impressions of all this gear in “shoot-out” style reviews for the benefit of the community. These meetings are increasing in number and frequency as time passes and the hobby grows.

Now that the world has an epicenter for information on headphones in the Head-Fi discussion board, it has become easier for manufacturers to build and market products targeted at the headphone enthusiast. Virtually on a weekly basis, an audio manufacturer announces the availability of a brand new headphone amplifier to help take advantage of the renewed interest in headphones. So far, we’ve documented at least 60 headphone amps (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7226), but this list is still by no means complete. There are also a number of hobbyists who have made a side-business of building custom amplifiers for members of Head-Fi, and we also have a very active DIY group that discusses making their own headphone amps (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumd...p?s=&forumid=6). Additionally, cable manufacturers of the calibre of Cardas Cable have introduced replacement cables for the famed Sennheiser HD600. There are currently 3 manufacturers of HD600 replacement cables (Clou Cable, Stephan Audio Art, and Cardas), and some of these cable-makers have cables for other Sennheiser models and the AKG K1000 as well. Additionally, there are a number of newer headphones that have not been reviewed by Stereophile that enjoy a large constituency among headphone enthusiasts, and we’d sure love to see some more attention paid to these products.

Why should Stereophile take a larger interest in headphones? Think of headphones as the “gateway drug” into the world of audio. Our membership at Head-Fi, though certainly a diverse group, is made up of a large percentage of younger people (mostly college age) who are just starting out in the audio hobby. They simply can’t afford and don’t have room for the expensive speaker-based systems that Stereophile tends to focus on. For these folks, headphones offer a remarkable value for the dollar and an easy and affordable introduction into the world of hi-fi. Today’s top headphones, paired with today’s top amps, are capable of reproducing sound with amazing fidelity that easily rivals many of the mega-buck systems profiled in the pages of Stereophile. Exposure to the possibilities of high-quality sound reproduction via headphones has “blown the minds” of many of these college-age newbies, and time and again we have seen these newcomers to audio get bitten by the bug. These are people who will become life-long audiophiles and audio enthusiasts as a direct result of hearing quality sound reproduction through headphones. These are the folks that will graduate to bigger and better systems and will form the next generation of Stereophile readers.

With all this in mind, we would like to humbly suggest a list of headphones and headphone-related equipment that we would like to see profiled in the pages of Stereophile. This list was generated by a discussion among community members. We realize that Stereophile can’t possibly review every single headphone and amp that are “headphone geek approved”, so we decided to focus in on the top-tier products that really show what is possible in the world of headphones, and would likely be of most interest to the readers of Stereophile. These are all products that have achieved a wide level of acclaim among headphone enthusiasts. As you have seen, we now have a wide variety of products to choose from, so this list truly represents the “crème de la crème”.

Headphones

Headphone Amplifiers

Headphone-Related Products

Finally, the membership would also greatly appreciate it if Stereophile’s reviewers were equipped with some of these high-quality cans and were then encouraged to review the performance of the headphone jacks on the equipment they review. Very seldom do we see any comments on headphone performance with pre-amps that have a built-in headphone amp/jack. As you know, quality of built-in headphone amps/jacks varies greatly from product to product depending on how much thought and attention the designer gave to the “headphone problem”. It would be of great interest to our community, and also to the general Stereophile readership, if your reviewers could spend a paragraph or two on headphone performance for all products equipped to drive them.

Many Members of our community have signed a petition on the Head-Fi forum in support of expanded headphone coverage in Stereophile. The petition can be viewed here: (link fothcoming).

If you would like to see the original thread that spurred this activity, it is here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hreadid=17002. The community’s discussion of this open letter can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hreadid=17610.

On behalf of the community I would like to thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Your thoughts?

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #17 of 78
Looks just fine and dandy. . .

just wondering. . . what constitutes a "commercial" amp? Does the company have to be registered, etc? I think I just answered my own question. . . but seriously. How many people per month buy $75000 speakers? I'd guess more people buy metas from tangent/eric/jmt than buy Sophias, etc.

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #18 of 78
Great letter! I'll sign when you post the link.

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #19 of 78
Hello,
I see that the "view" count for this post continues to go up, but few who have read the thread are posting their opinions/thoughts. If I do say so myself, this is one of the more important posts active right now on the board and is worthy of your comment. We have the opportunity to truly flex our muscles as a community and help advance the hobby and call attention to this board, out of which so many of us get so much.

Whether you approve or disapprove of what we have so far, you are encouraged to please post your thoughts. Silence, in this case, may mean approval, but it's not as useful as direct feedback. Once the open letter is finalized, you will again be called upon to post your approval in a new thread that will (hopefully) be viewed by the editor of Stereophile. This is a big deal for us! So, please register your thoughts! It only takes a second of your time...

Mark

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 78
Great letter! But, what the deal with calling us geeks, I mean we are, but still
tongue.gif

Hopefully when it's all said and done you will get a response or even get the letter printed in the magazine.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 78
It seems to me that Stereophile would get far fewer ad dollars from reviewing headphones than from reviewing the big speakers. The only companies that I can think of that could afford big ads would be Sony, Sennheiser, and maybe AKG. But I doubt that AKG makes nearly as much money off their headphones as off their microphones, and Sony seems uninterested in our niche market.

I don't think it could hurt, but I don't think that Stereophile would want to review our stuff. It's a business based very much on ad revenue. How would they have room for the "other stuff" if they started reviewing equipment that doesn't bring in ads? And would BMW want to put ads in a magazine that targets poor college students?

Again, I don't think it's a bad idea, I'm just not very confident in EMAP USA.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 78
altho i think .com gets u to these forums as well, .org makes us sound more like an esoteric group of social renegades or something, while .com makes us seem like just another bunch of cybergeeks... .org is by far the cooler...
biggrin.gif

great letter mark! btw, dang, altho stereophile isn't targeted at college students persay, i think that they would be interested in expanding the future hifi market in general by nurturing a new generation of audio enthusiasts. mark, that message came thru clearly to me partly, i guess, because i was expecting/looking for it, but since dang didn't seem to think that it was either very clear or a very convincing argument, mebbe u could think about that paragraph? hehe, since it's easier to critique rather than edit, i shall run away now and let u do the thinking...
tongue.gif

one more thing, it mite help us get some more comments/signatures if the mods could make one or some of these threads a sticky? just an idea...

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
dang, altho stereophile isn't targeted at college students [per se], i think that they would be interested in expanding the future hifi market in general by nurturing a new generation of audio enthusiasts. mark, that message came thru clearly to me partly, i guess

I think you don't understand my point, so I'll try to elucidate a little bit... Stereophile doesn't care whether or not they "foster" or "expand" anything. Stereophile is only interested in ad dollars -- hence the softball reviews and reviews of extremely high-end equipment that nobody can afford. The only thing they're interested in fostering is their own image as a magazine for rich people so that they can sell ad space.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
I think you don't understand my point, so I'll try to elucidate a little bit... Stereophile doesn't care whether or not they "foster" or "expand" anything. Stereophile is only interested in ad dollars -- hence the softball reviews and reviews of extremely high-end equipment that nobody can afford. The only thing they're interested in fostering is their own image as a magazine for rich people so that they can sell ad space.

DanG, if that's your view, then I assume we can take it as given that you do NOT support markl's idea. Why would anyone who thinks the rag is 100%, solely and exclusively driven by ad dollars care about getting headphone coverage in there?

You may want to take note of the fact that Headroom does take out ads--full-page ones. They are not a wealthy multinational company.

Personally, I think Stereophile is a very useful resource, whose editorial policy is determined by a number of related factors, which certainly include ad revenues, but also other things, such as image and public perception of the magazine among many different types of readers (including both rich and non-rich), the (currently declining) economy, the interests of the editor, the interests of the writers and contributors, fashions and trends in the audio world....etc. etc.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 78
dang, elucidated, ur point does make sense. ah well... let's just hope there's still some room left for humanity in this world of corporate viciousness...
frown.gif

btw mark, i posted this elsewhere already, but it mite interest u that i've found a taiwanese equivalent to head-fi here, and i'm sure there're prolly more of these around in different languages across the world... this may help to add some clout to our cause?
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 78
Calanctus, I'm not really against markl's idea as much as I am unsure of the possibility of success. I think it would be great if Stereophile started reviewing headphones and headphone amps more regularly, but I just don't see it happening. I think it's worth a shot no matter what.

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #28 of 78
I agree with DanG. I read Stereophile mainly to look at the pictures. Oh, I do enjoy and look forward each month to reading Tellig and Fremer. The former for his always amusing ways of saying the same things over and over, and the latter for his complete mastery for making me feel so totally inadequate as a budding audiophile. I like Tellig and Fremer.
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

It seems to me that Stereophile would get far fewer ad dollars from reviewing headphones than from reviewing the big speakers. The only companies that I can think of that could afford big ads would be Sony, Sennheiser, and maybe AKG.

The cost of an ad for a product is determined by where it falls in the magazine, and how much space it occupies, not the price of the item being advertised. Stereophile*does* review headphones. They also review headphone amps. They do not ignore this category altogether. All we're asking them for is to make this coverage more complete.

Quote:

It's a business based very much on ad revenue. How would they have room for the "other stuff" if they started reviewing equipment that doesn't bring in ads? And would BMW want to put ads in a magazine that targets poor college students?

This may be partly true, but they also want to bring in more readers and subscribers. Increasing their circulation and having a larger readership would enable them to charge more for ads because they are reaching a larger audience. If Stereophile had a monthly headphone column, wouldn't you subscribe? I would.

Yes, college students are not the target market for Wilson Grand Slams, but not everyone reads Stereophile because they're in the market for Wilsons. How many buyers of car magazines can afford the Ferrari on the cover? Some just like to drool.

Quote:

i think that they would be interested in expanding the future hifi market in general by nurturing a new generation of audio enthusiasts. mark, that message came thru clearly to me partly, i guess, because i was expecting/looking for it, but since dang didn't seem to think that it was either very clear or a very convincing argument, mebbe u could think about that paragraph? hehe, since it's easier to critique rather than edit, i shall run away now and let u do the thinking...

I actually don't want to hammer on this point too much because as DanG points out, we're not exactly Sterophile's target demo. I would rather he just got the overall impression that headphoning is a growing hobby with a loyal constituency. As part of the audio world, and an important part, they deserve more coverage in the world's premier audio mag. I'll try to sum those thoughts up and add a paragraph making this point more eloquently.

Quote:

Stereophile doesn't care whether or not they "foster" or "expand" anything. Stereophile is only interested in ad dollars -- hence the softball reviews and reviews of extremely high-end equipment that nobody can afford. The only thing they're interested in fostering is their own image as a magazine for rich people so that they can sell ad space.

I think you're too cynical DanG. Why would you dedicate your life and energy to working for a small-circulation magazine with such a narrow focus as Stereophile if you didn't really care about audio? Those guys aren't getting rich writing articles for Stereophile, that's for sure. I'm sure they have enough sense to realize that they do in fact have a responsibility to try to grow the hobby, otherwise, they'll be out of a job when their rich, older readership dies off.

I think this is a worth-while discussion, but it won't deter me from going for it.

I guess it's up to me to create the list of components for review. I'll think about it some and post my choices here.

Mark
P.S. Still need the 2002 lists of headphone/amps and Stereophile's criteria for inclusion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back