Petition for a "Video Games Lounge" subforum. - IT'S LIVE
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #106 of 352

Quote:
Hey!  What about the RE remake for the Game cube and Silent Hill 2 & 3?
tongue_smile.gif
  But, I get what you're saying.  I can still play Final Fantasy 7 and still be engrossed in that game.  The Final Fantasy games haven't been really good since X in my opinion.

Resident evil was never really that scary. RE4 for gamecube did make me jump the first time I got my head sawed off or fighting the giant fish thing. SH2,3,and 4 are the last real horror games ever made IMO. Penumbra was kind of scary and Amnesia was just laughably not scary.  FF7 is a huge favorite of mine along with FF8 haha. I hope SH Downpour isn't trash as it looked cool, they really need to not make the villain of the game a knife wielding psychopath anymore and stop with he fan service, THE RED PYRAMID WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE IN SILENT HILL TWO!
Also Bad ending of SH 1 is still one of the saddest moments in vidya history.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #107 of 352

Quote:
Resident evil was never really that scary. RE4 for gamecube did make me jump the first time I got my head sawed off or fighting the giant fish thing. SH2,3,and 4 are the last real horror games ever made IMO. Penumbra was kind of scary and Amnesia was just laughably not scary.  FF7 is a huge favorite of mine along with FF8 haha. I hope SH Downpour isn't trash as it looked cool, they really need to not make the villain of the game a knife wielding psychopath anymore and stop with he fan service, THE RED PYRAMID WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE IN SILENT HILL TWO!

Really?  Would you put it up there with Aerith's death scene in FF7?

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #108 of 352

Quote:

Really?  Would you put it up there with Aerith's death scene in FF7?

Oh yea, did you get the bad ending on SH1? the entire cut scene before the final boss fight....seriously messed up and super sad.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #109 of 352

Quote:
Oh yea, did you get the bad ending on SH1? the entire cut scene before the final boss fight....seriously messed up and super sad.

Well, I'm a bit of a sissy when it comes to horror games and horror movies for that matter.  Resident Evil is really the only horror game series I've played personally.  I've watched my friend play SH 1 through 4 and that series scares me quite a bit.  So, I've only seen the one good ending my friend got.  I don't have any desire to play any of those games.  Walking home from my friend's house at night after watching him play was not fun.
tongue.gif

I'll say though, that game series(well 1 through 4) was very well done and you can clearly see the creative(and disturbing
tongue.gif
) genius of its creator.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #110 of 352

Quote:

RE4 was a good game but it wasn't horror. RE1-CVX I felt were decent horror games despite adopting a more actiony approach early on. Now, as you mentioned Silent Hill, 1-3 spoiled me. I've never found a game that stood up to those standards that could leave me disturbed and paranoid. 4 was a good game but a terrible Silent Hill title if that makes any sense. I never felt it scary but the story was still somewhat engaging. I could spend hours gushing over SH2 though. That entire series up until now had a decent soundtrack too. As far as PH goes, sadly, SH3 made it possible for him to manifest in different forms so as much as I HATE to admit it, The Boogeyman wasn't retconned at all and fit in without contorting the story. Zero too a nice approach at making you stalk The Butcher but I kinda agree, I would love to see a Leonard type antagonist. I thought he'd be there the rest of the game. But Silent Hill 2 was easily one of the most memorable experiences in my history playing video games. It stands as proof that video games are in fact art. 

In any case, Alan Wake a go. I loved it on the 360. Decent atmosphere and had a Silent Hill type ring to it. Just came out on the PC today as well. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #111 of 352
I agree, very few game series matched the shear creepy, disturbing atmosphere of the Silent Hill games.  Just thinking about the game and its story freaks me out a bit.
tongue.gif
  Have you tried any of the Dead Space games?  I thought the second installment was excellent(freaked me out too
tongue.gif
).

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #112 of 352

Quote:
I agree, very few game series matched the shear creepy, disturbing atmosphere of the Silent Hill games.  Just thinking about the game and its story freaks me out a bit.
tongue.gif
  Have you tried any of the Dead Space games?  I thought the second installment was excellent(freaked me out too
tongue.gif
).

I loved Dead Space but I didn't find much "horror" in it at all. I'll say here what I said elsewhere; To me, it was an action game with gore and loud noises. I wasn't a fan of how they handled Isaac either. He was silent in the first but rather wordy in the second. It broke the flow a bit for me. Either way, the story retained a lot of mystery and gives them room to expand. Despite my gripes, I'll gladly fork over the cash to buy the third if it's as good as the previous games. The books were actually good reads too. They added more depth to the universe 

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #113 of 352

Quote:
 4 was a good game but a terrible Silent Hill title if that makes any sense.

Little know fact, SH4 was originally not a silent hill game, the company making it went under and Team Silent bought the rights to it and tooled around with it.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #114 of 352

Quote:
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
).

Played Dead space 1 and 2 back to back last week int he dark with headphones on. It was not scary, it was annoying when the baby things started screaming nonstop for twenty minuets. It's strange, I'm normally a pansy but for some reason Vidya doesn't scare me. Thats not to say Dead space isn't a good game, it's a pretty solid TPS.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #115 of 352

Quote:
Little know fact, SH4 was originally not a silent hill game, the company making it went under and Team Silent bought the rights to it and tooled around with it.

If I recall right, it was a side project of Akira's but Team Silent got involved later on. Before Silent Hill was tacked onto the title, the first trailer had Room of Angel playing.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #116 of 352

Quote:

If I recall right, it was a side project of Akira's but Team Silent got involved later on. Before Silent Hill was tacked onto the title, the first trailer had Room of Angel playing.

If I remember right it was just supposed to be called "The room", I think it was a Alright silent hill game, a far cry from the psychological gorror*not a typo* of the first three but still decent.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #118 of 352

Quote:
My little pony, video games, manga  etc...

I joined to talk about headphones, amps and the like. Just saying...

I voted Nay.

This is why this is in the members lounge.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #120 of 352
Eh? Why didn't anyone tell me about this poll? Lol.

I have to be completely honest. Video games are what got me into Head-fi to begin with. Gaming with headphones was #1 priority. Everything else came second. Though I've evolved and listen to music and use headphones for non-gaming purposes a lot more than I used to, gaming is still the biggest reason I'm into this hobby. I would imagine its a major reason why a lot of us are here.

I'm humbled by the many people that come to me for advice. I realize that my gaming thread actually brought a lot of people to this site (I get various pms from newbies practically every day), and now with Nameless's PC gaming guide, we can expect even more people coming to head-fi. Its a potentially huge opportunity for head-fi to bring in potential audiophiles.

A gaming sub-forum is definitely something I'd be highly interested in, and would keep me here longer than just chatting about what headphones works with what.

So yay, yay, yay.

I find it hilarious that people vote nay for a SUB-FORUM they don't have to click on. Just because you wouldn't use it, does that mean it doesn't belong? So silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back