Peter Gabriel's "Up"
Oct 6, 2002 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I should let you know that while I'm a Gabriel era Genesis fan, I haven't been able to get into his solo work, even "3" for that matter. Nonetheless, I picked up his latest, "Up", the other day and am tremendously impressed. I just wanted to highly recommend this album.

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
I should let you know that while I'm a Gabriel era Genesis fan, I haven't been able to get into his solo work, even "3" for that matter. Nonetheless, I picked up his latest, "Up", the other day and am tremendously impressed. I just wanted to highly recommend this album.

I agree; I think "UP" is a great album. The Genesis material with PG is classic stuff for sure.

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 6
There's no doubt that after Peter Gabriel left Genesis turned from the prog. group they were into a pop band...what a pitty
frown.gif
Just like you, I also haven't been able to get into his solo work... Still, what kind of music is the "UP" album?

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I've heard "The Barry Williams Show" on the radio, and frankly, this is not Gabriel at his best. He's maybe 10 years too late to be protesting Jerry Springer. Day-time talk shows are exploitative?? I'm shocked, shocked!!!
rolleyes.gif

From what I've read (and I read a LOT of the music magazines), that song is not representative of the whole album. Reviewers' consensus seems to be that this one is a "grower" and takes time to absorb. Uncut mag even said it was a "great headphone album".

Got it on my list (along with about 200 others!
rolleyes.gif
)

Mark

Oct 8, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 6
"Barry Williams Show" is actually my least favourite song on the disk. The album is excellent and I had no trouble getting into it from the first listen. I will say that it is slower than any of his other albums that I can think of, but he's just getting old. Be patient. If you're an AC/DC type rock'n'roller, or a Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions type purist, I would stay away, otherwise I would recommend it. It has been stuck, on and off, in my player for weeks since it came out, and I'm going to be seeing him perform live in November!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back