Peter Gabriel remasters
Aug 14, 2002 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
I was at Borders today with a 50% off coupon good for any full-price CD (That's $18.99!!!) and I saw that they had all of the newly-released remasters of all of Peter Gabriel's albums. Since Peter Gabriel is my all-time favorite artist, I had a bit of a hard time deciding
biggrin.gif

I decided to pick up "So" since I figured it would probably benefit the most from remastering (old enough that the original mastering probably wasn't great, new enough to have been recorded well). If you're a Peter Gabriel fan, this is definitely worth getting -- the remastered version is incredible compared to the original; it's like a whole new album! Voices are much more distinct, instruments have more detail and separation, and the bass is MUCH better.

My only complaint is that they changed the order of the tracks on the remaster. "In Your Eyes" is now the last song? On the other hand, it appears that Peter Gabriel had a say in the remasters, so maybe this is the order he really wanted them in.

If the other remasters are as good as this one, I'm buying them all
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I was at Borders today with a 50% off coupon good for any full-price CD (That's $18.99!!!) and I saw that they had all of the newly-released remasters of all of Peter Gabriel's albums. Since Peter Gabriel is my all-time favorite artist, I had a bit of a hard time deciding
biggrin.gif

I decided to pick up "So" since I figured it would probably benefit the most from remastering (old enough that the original mastering probably wasn't great, new enough to have been recorded well). If you're a Peter Gabriel fan, this is definitely worth getting -- the remastered version is incredible compared to the original; it's like a whole new album! Voices are much more distinct, instruments have more detail and separation, and the bass is MUCH better.

My only complaint is that they changed the order of the tracks on the remaster. "In Your Eyes" is now the last song? On the other hand, it appears that Peter Gabriel had a say in the remasters, so maybe this is the order he really wanted them in.

I also have bought all of the Peter Gabriel re-masters. Yes, they do sound excellent!! His new album "UP" will be released in the USA on Sept.24 (which you may already know).

If the other remasters are as good as this one, I'm buying them all
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77 The reviews that I have read have been mixed, some like the remasters, others hate them. I will start with the 3rd one and see what's up.

Aug 15, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 19
one thing i have liked about pg is the dynamic range in his recordings. do these new remasters have the same dynamics or have they been compressed? also, i have "shaking the tree", and "i have the touch" has been monkeyed with by gabriel (adding new vocals and synth lines). "i have the touch" is one of my favorite gabriel songs, but i dislike the new improved version. does pg pull a lucas on any of the songs on his remasters?

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
My only complaint is that they changed the order of the tracks on the remaster. "In Your Eyes" is now the last song?

Ha-ha, I didn't even notice that they screwed around with the song order...at least, not consciously...

And yes, the others that I have heard so far are that nice, and that's also the opinion of someone else who has heard them all.

Although I have a hard time picturing much of an improvement with Us.

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 19
My friend has the remaster of Us but I haven't gotten to hear it yet. "So" really is a well produced album and although I own it already I would consider picking up the remaster if I weren't hopeful for a near-future SACD release. Hard to exercise self control there when "So" has been one of my "reference" discs.

Oct 3, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 19
I picked up the limited edition remasters of 3 and So, and I must say, they sound great. instruments are all very well defined. about the song order, you should remember that the original order was probably made with vinyl in mind. 3 is very distinctively cut in two, for instance.

kinda tempting to go out and buy the entire set of limited edition discs (or at least the first 5)...but I decided against it. kinda expensive, y'know :p

Oct 5, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 19
I've just bought "Security" on CD through ColumbiaHouse (this is the only PG re-mastered CD they have), and I have to say that it sounds just great.

I know this isn't his best album, and I look forward to a re-mastered "So"... and #3....

But... who knew that "Shock the Monkey" is NOT about animal experimentation/vivisection??? Gabriel says it's actually about infidelity...

Who'd've thunk??

Mark

Oct 5, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 19
(also of interest)

Only slightly off topic, I found these tour dates on the web site and thought you guys might be interested. No Dallas shows posted yet.
frown.gif

05-Nov Atlanta Philips Arena
07-Nov Cleveland Gund Arena
08-Nov Columbus Nationwide Arena
11-Nov Washington MCI Center
13-Nov Chicago United Center
15-Nov Minneapolis Target Center
17-Nov E. Rutherford Continental Airlines Arena
18-Nov Philadelphia First Union Center
21-Nov NYC MSG
25-Nov Boston Fleet Center
28-Nov Montreal Bell Centre